The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

biglouis

I've been weighing up whether to get the Leica Q or the RX1Rm2 but this week finally decided in favour of the Q.

First shot - processed in LR6.3 using the Auto function and a small amount of dehaze.

This is the location of quite a famous photograph by John Gay, of children swinging on a lamp post outside their school. Not much left now but I really like the way the lens has reproduced the galvanised dustbin and the flowers.

First impressions are very good. The lens is excellent and the sensor is the closest in sharpness I have seen to a Sigma Merrill sensor. If this is the sensor inside the SL it is going to be a fantastic camera.

V

Vivek

I've been weighing up whether to get the Leica Q or the RX1Rm2 but this week finally decided in favour of the Q.
I went the other way. It is a pity that the threads with images from these two cams are in two different places. :(

ptomsu

Workshop Member

First impressions are very good. The lens is excellent and the sensor is the closest in sharpness I have seen to a Sigma Merrill sensor. If this is the sensor inside the SL it is going to be a fantastic camera.
Great decision!!!! :)

Peter

biglouis

Took the Q out for its first ever journey through the hinterland of Whitechapel this morning on the way to work. This building in Spitalfields has appeared in numerous BBC period dramas.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I know, I know. All the cool kids are shooting the SL. But I *like* the Q.

Grey day in the park:

--Matt

biglouis

^^^^^^
David, looks like you and I are the only ones keeping this thread going. Maybe we should ask the mod to change the title to 'Fun with the Leica Q with Dave and Lou'.

Viramati

Only the best!! And Louis I'm so glad you got the Q I find it to be the ultimate street camera. The Sony will be great but it just doesn't work for me in the same way as the Leica. You must try out the app as well

biglouis

Only the best!! And Louis I'm so glad you got the Q I find it to be the ultimate street camera. The Sony will be great but it just doesn't work for me in the same way as the Leica. You must try out the app as well
The app? Do you mean the smartphone app? I've downloaded it for my Android phone but not played with it yet.

The Q is the only camera that made me want to get back into Leica. It suits me perfectly. I was going to get the RX1Rm2 and I may still do so but for the moment the Q is working out very well.

I will probably get the Loxia 21/2.8 after Xmas. I use my Loxia 2/35 a lot with both the A7S and A7R but I am missing not having a really good 21mm lens.

LouisB

V

Vivek

^^^^^^
David, looks like you and I are the only ones keeping this thread going. Maybe we should ask the mod to change the title to 'Fun with the Leica Q with Dave and Lou'.
If you two ditch the Q for the RX1R II this thread will die.

Yeah, I am for that change. :)

biglouis

I know my subject choices may not resonate with a lot of people but I know the east end of London and I shoot what I know.

This is Chigwell Hill, Wapping, which rises up towards Whitechapel, on the other side of the Highway. In the distance can be seen the distinctive tower of St George's in the East a church designed by Hawksmoor (bombed out during WWII). I suspect the area was cleared during the redevelopment of docklands in the 80s but has been overlooked by the success of Canary Wharf.

biglouis

I also know my cats quite well...

I haven't played much with the lens wide open but I have to say this is excellent background blur for a wide angle lens.

L1000338.jpg

biglouis

You must try out the app as well
Just played with the Leica smartphone app, in my case on my Samsung S5 (Android).

I came at it with very low expectations but I have to say I am incredibly impressed.

First off, the QR code connection is a touch of brilliance. Secondly, the ability to full control the menu settings is good. I was wondering how I would be able to remote control the camera on a tripod and was unsure if wifi would be reliable but this looks pretty solid to me.

For instant capture and publishing obviously you have to use jpeg but apart from that it is really well implemented.

Just my two cents

LouisB