The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica Q

jonoslack

Hi everyone - lovely to be able to post some pictures at long last.

So - let's get this started.

Here are a couple of pictures from China

scrambling on an un-restored part of the great wall

LongJing tea fields

m_driscoll

Jono: great review of the Q. Mine has shipped and I'll get it on Monday. Historically, the 28 mm was my number one used Leica lens. It's perfect for me and I don't have to carry around a lot of gear. One camera, one lens, no decisions on which lens to use, take, etc. We're off to Itally on the 23rd. I'd wave as we fly over your house, but you're in China. Say hi to Emma. Cheers.

animefx

That's great news! May I ask where you ordered yours from?

Jono: great review of the Q. Mine has shipped and I'll get it on Monday. Historically, the 28 mm was my number one used Leica lens. It's perfect for me and I don't have to carry around a lot of gear. One camera, one lens, no decisions on which lens to use, take, etc. We're off to Itally on the 23rd. I'd wave as we fly over your house, but you're in China. Say hi to Emma. Cheers.

jonoslack

So excited to join the fray with my Q...hopefully soon!!!
I think it's just the camera for you Ashwin.

. . and Matt - glad you're getting one - have a fantastic time in Italy.

Jono, those stairs, my oh my are they steep!
Hmm - the stairs were stairs - this was further away, and much less looked after with no steps, so skidding down on one's butt hanging on to the branches was the only way!

animefx

Beautiful photos Jono. This camera inspires confidence as does the photographer!

I think it's just the camera for you Ashwin.

. . and Matt - glad you're getting one - have a fantastic time in Italy.

Hmm - the stairs were stairs - this was further away, and much less looked after with no steps, so skidding down on one's butt hanging on to the branches was the only way!

ashwinrao1

Time to star posting photos of and from this camera. First, my copy! Super Excited about this one! It's really a dream to use. AF is really tops!

First, pics of the camera, taken by its "little" brother, the GR:

m_driscoll

Jono, thanks, we will. I have five days in Civita di Bagnoregio doing nothing while Marleigh's in her urban sketching/watercolor workshop...I could probably take a few pictures.

Viramati

Thanks Jono and Ashwin for the shots. Can't wait to get mine so let's hope delivers to the UK come soon as I am 2nd on the llist with my dealer

jonoslack

good luck getting yous David. Mine's been around the block a bit now!
Matt - that sounds like a lovely relaxing time. the Q is the perfect bar camera!
Ash. congratulations on yours ........ good innit!
All the best from Beijing. (off to Hangzhou tomorrow)

rayyan

Firstly..congratulations to those who have the Q...a lovely piece of engineering design, from the photos.

Now, please do not take this as anything other than my observation on the images that have been posted so far.

I know these are early days for the cam. I also know the superb quality of images that Jono and Ashwin are capable of making.

But the images posted are underwhelming to say the least. They do not, to me,
Represent either the undoubted talents of the photogs and neither the praise being heaped on the camera for its image making capabilities.

Jono's Wall of China images could have been shot with the cheapest of p&s.
Ashwin's shots are all cropped. So where is the 28mm fl performance. Crop it to
A 50mm and it is back to my D70 days. Why crop it at all? If it is 28mm, should
It not be used at that fl ( minor cropping excepted ) and pp ( cause I am not a purist as far as pp is concerned ).

I say this with the greatest of respect to two of the best photogs we have contributing to this forum.

ashwinrao1

Hi Rayyan,

Thanks for your kind words, and yes, I would say that my first batch of shots (basically taken in store and at the Grocery store on the way home) are what one might expect....horribly mundane. I basically wanted to see how the camera would performed in mixed lighting, and general principles around focus speed, sharpness, color profiles, and OOF rendering for both natural and geometric backgrounds....boring stuff, but still may be of some value to those who look into that.

Actually, I belive only one of my shots was cropped, but I'd have to go back. I have had the camera for just under 24 hours now, so much more 'exploring' to do...I have no doubt that it is up to the task of making nice images...my primary challenge from it will be shooting 28 mm and seeing this way all of the time...similar to seeing BW only with the Monochrom.

Both challenging, yet both offering great potential for personal growth.