The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Question about the New Q

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Coming from an M and DSLR background ...the new “Q” seems to have a few quirks or differences that bother my shooting .

I want the EVF to only show what I am viewing ...no playback or menu displays . I want the LCD to only show playback ...when I hit a function button and I don t want LV unless I ask for it . This doesn t seem possible from the existing menu alternatives .

I only want DNG not JPEG or DNG & JPEG .....why would I want the overhead of processing a JPEG and writing it to the card ...if I only need DNG ?

Do I understand this correctly ...any work arounds ?

Viramati

Well you can have the EVF and the LCD to just show what your shooting but you can't have them showing different things

Yes the DNG and jpeg thing is a pain but I have set jpeg to the minimum size and made a preset in Lr6 that remove them all when I import them

Paratom

Coming from an M and DSLR background ...the new “Q” seems to have a few quirks or differences that bother my shooting .

I want the EVF to only show what I am viewing ...no playback or menu displays . I want the LCD to only show playback ...when I hit a function button and I don t want LV unless I ask for it . This doesn t seem possible from the existing menu alternatives .

I only want DNG not JPEG or DNG & JPEG .....why would I want the overhead of processing a JPEG and writing it to the card ...if I only need DNG ?

Do I understand this correctly ...any work arounds ?
I agree and do miss the same setting like you miss. Until its possible I even switched off automatic image review after taking an image. In the viewfinder I want to see real time, on the display review. The good thing is exposure metering and AF are pretty reliable, so its not so important for me to have automatic review.

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I think I follow and hope future firmware provides more options . I have no problem in using a function button to call up playback when I want it . Right now the more distracting aspect is the engagement of LV on the LCD until I put my eye to the viewfinder .

So in priority sequence its (1) clean EVF view no playback or menu (2) LCD playback on demand ,LCD menu display (3) No LV .

Roger, as far as I've understood you can also completely disable the lcd and have only EVF working.

But yeah, this is somewhat strange situation since you can do what you want on X cameras. One would like to think they would have kept it in the Q as well.. but let's hope further firmware improvements come.

That being said, these are not show stoppers for me personally.

//Juha

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Roger, as far as I've understood you can also completely disable the lcd and have only EVF working.

But yeah, this is somewhat strange situation since you can do what you want on X cameras. One would like to think they would have kept it in the Q as well.. but let's hope further firmware improvements come.

That being said, these are not show stoppers for me personally.

//Juha
Almost ...but if the LCD is set off(via display in the menu) ....playback and menu will be in the EVF . This maybe better than having LV on the LCD ..not sure .

jonoslack

HI There Roger
There is a lot of pressure to have an option for EVF only for taking and LCD for review and menus - as you want - hopefully they will do it
DNG only I think is also quite likely to happen

So the answer is that you can't do it quite right now, but you may easily be able to with a firmware update.

The camera seems to be a huge success - so there surely Will be a firmware update as well.

All the best

ashwinrao1

The Q is awesome, and I hope that firmware can be created to address some of the niggles...Leica has just supported the M9 with a statement regarding new sensors (with new cover glass or bonding processes to prevent corrosion)....totally awesome. The long term success of the Q will be furthered by Leica's efforts to support feedback...that being said, it's quite a mature product as is.

Viramati

David: Where and what do you select in the preset creation to not import the jpgs?
Well I have to actually import them but then I have made a preset in the filter menu that just selects the jpeg's which I then dump in the trash. I also have the camera set to the smallest size of jpeg so it doesn't really slow down the import time and the whole process is quick and easy

Photon42

HI There Roger
There is a lot of pressure to have an option for EVF only for taking and LCD for review and menus - as you want - hopefully they will do it
DNG only I think is also quite likely to happen

So the answer is that you can't do it quite right now, but you may easily be able to with a firmware update.

The camera seems to be a huge success - so there surely Will be a firmware update as well.

All the best
Sounds good, Jono. This (back LCD only on in response to pressing a button & EVF comes on only when close to the eye) is my #1 change request. I'm really unsure why these things are so difficult - they've got so many other things right :eek:

This topic comes up almost everywhere - if you can press the proper button in Wetzlar, go for it - you'd then clearly lead the Q of fame :)

Ivo