Site Sponsors

Thread: new lens ... Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

new lens ... Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4

With all the gaga still going on over the Q, I recall chatting on one thread about the 75mm Summarits. After a bit of back and forth with myself as to whether going with the newer f/2.4 model was worth the premium over the f/2.5 model, never mind a used f/2.5, I decided to just go for the gusto and buy the new f/2.4.

It arrived yesterday. Small, light, fast enough. The aperture is nearly perfectly circular throughout the range. I like how the new lens hood can be reversed and screwed on for storage, and the hood cap works whether in deploy or storage.

I made a few exposures at the cafe this morning while I was waiting for my breakfast buddies to show up.

Leica M-P + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
    ISO 500 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60 sec

That's an in-camera JPEG, only processing is the border treatment and the sizing.

A lovely lens! I think this completes my Leica M kit other than the MM246 body. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: new lens ... Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4

I'm rather jealous Godfrey - that looks great . . . . . I talked to Peter Karbe about the Summarits - there's clearly a lot of effort gone into the new design changes.
    best
    Jono

Just this guy you know

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd love to try this lens, with closer focus and a solid price. That being said, there are used 75 crons in near mint condition sitting around for nearly the price of a new summarit...drats ...the pain of great choices
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was interested in the 75 focal length as I often find 90 just a hair too long and 50 a bit short. The combination of "fast enough and small enough" with good imaging qualities, along with a semi-reasonable price (currently at B&H it is $1892), sold me. This lens will pair nicely with 35 or 50mm to make for a nice two lens kit (add the 24 for a three...)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, good for you. I've been using a 75 2.5 for several years now. There was a comparison of all the 75's and the Summarit didn't give up anything in sharpness. I like to use it as a more stealthy walk about lens - I can get closer to the subject and yet remain more in the bg. I wouldn't sell it.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this thread engendered some GAS, and now, a minty/boxed used 75 APO cron is mine, at a cost of $2300...traded in some great, so the wallet beating was minimal
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Well, this thread engendered some GAS...
    In a mere 6 hours.
    Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
    In a mere 6 hours.
    LOL!
    Enjoy it, Ashwin.

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The joy of learning a new lens ... always a thrill. I took a walk this morning and met my partner for breakfast at a local place three quarters of a mile from home. It was so nice out, I kept on walking.

I fitted the 75 when I left, stuck the 35 in the bag, and didn't change lenses. This Summarit is simply a wonderful performer, I'm very glad I went for it.

Leica M-P + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
    ISO 200 @ f/2.8 @ 1/125

enjoy,
    G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey - You made a good choice. The minimum focusing distance is worth the price above the earlier version. That's the lens I would have went for personally, but in the other thread I didn't want to sway you one way or another, since lens buying is usually very personal.

I look forward to seeing images from this lens, especially at minimum distances.. I actually use my 75APO under 1m a lot, and even though I liked the rendering of the 75Summarit and the size, I sold it off because I found I would always want to get closer with it, and well I have the APO..

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I considered the Summicron briefly, but I didn't want to spend over $2000.
    I get those occasional pangs of focus irritation with the 1972 'Lux 35 v2 ... It's got a 1m close focus limit. And then I ignore it because I like the lens so much otherwise.

From what I'm seeing out of this morning's walk, the Summarit 75/2.4 is going to work out just fine. :-)

G

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Well, this thread engendered some GAS, and now, a minty/boxed used 75 APO cron is mine, at a cost of $2300...traded in some great, so the wallet beating was minimal
    My 75 APO 'cron is certainly not 'minty' - even though it's had a new lens shade attached (2 years ago) and the markings repainted this year. It's my most used M lens by some distance - I hope you like yours as much Ashwin

Just this guy you know