The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Quick compo: 35 cron asph and "king of bokeh"

bradhusick

Here's a really quick comparison shot. One was taken with a 35 cron asph and the other with the 35 cron "king of bokeh" series IV. Both at f2. Can you tell which is which? The differences are subtle and important. How do they look different to you? Do you favor one?

Thanks to Terry for the "king".
-Brad

Last edited:

Seascape

#1 I believe is the ASPH

Interesting to look at in detail, it would seem that the extra contrast of the ASPH makes for a less smooth bokeh.

However if the contrast was the same, the bokeh would be very close.

Having said that, I believe "The King" doesn't hit it's stride until the middle apertures :rolleyes:

bradhusick

Right - the first is the asph. I am looking forward to using this "king" at different apertures to see what all the fuss is about. So far, I like it.

woodyspedden

I have now had my 35 pre-asph cron for about a month and love it. I have been shooting with the 50 pre-asph lux for about two years and could not imagine being without it. However there are just times when the 35 focal length on the M8 is more adaptable to many situations.

I now feel that I am almost there with regard to lenses for the M system and the G1. This is currently the 12CV, 15 CV, 21 elmarit, 28 cron or 28 Biogon, 35 Cron Pre-asph, 50 cron pre-asph, 75 Lux, 85 Summarex, and the 135 APO Elmar. The only addition for me would be a very wide lens to use with the G1. 12mm is just not wide enough.

suggestions?

Woody

JWW

I've had the version 4 since last year and it's now my most used lens with the M8. It's light and small and results are excellent. Since I have both the 35 cron asph and lux asph I've compared them and most times it's hard to tell the difference. When I bought it the previous owner had sharpie marked it and it hasn't worn off at all so M8 recognizes it ok. The bokeh seems to be very pleasing at f4 to 5.6 especially when the background has even lighting. The 35 cron asph bokeh (to me) is pretty good in those situations also.

Jan

Erik Five

Ive owned both lenses and used them on both M8 and on film M´s and my experience is that its easier to see the difference when shoting B&W film than looking at crop sensor color. Bokeh wise... I prefer the IV over the asph any day. I sold all my asph lenses quickly again though. My other fav is the Pre asph E46 50 summilux. It also has that very pleasing look to it. I feel that the asph lenses get to clinical on the M8, but thats just me. The best would be to have a different set of lenses for Digital and film ;)