Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New camera system from Leica ?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: New camera system from Leica ?

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Interesting, and complicated. Your link didn't work right for me. Maybe this is better:http://photo.net/equipment/contax/ax
    Article from 1998!

scott
    Oops - my bad, Scott.
    Had some difficulty getting the link into my message while working on my iPad.
    Link is fixed and correctly working now.
    Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    Interesting, and complicated. Your link didn't work right for me. Maybe this is better:Contax AX - photo.net
    Article from 1998!

scott
    Yep, I found this Contax AX feature pretty awesome, but it also implies it is very much unlikely something similar happening in the OMDs.
    It seems Olympus' solution is to drive the lens' AF motor meaning all MF lenses are out and probably all other 𝜇43 lens manufacturers as well.
    Still bugs me why only those supported three lenses ...

Kind regards.
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Knorp View Post
    Yep, I found this Contax AX feature pretty awesome, but it also implies it is very much unlikely something similar happening in the OMDs.
    It seems Olympus' solution is to drive the lens' AF motor meaning all MF lenses are out and probably all other 𝜇43 lens manufacturers as well.
    Still bugs me why only those supported three lenses ...

Kind regards.
    Olympus description of how the auto focus bracketing will work involves specifying the range of distances that you wish to step through and how closely spaced you want to make the (up to 99) shots. So the lenses that they propose to support are probably the lenses Olympus makes that have the most precise information about actual focus distance available electronically to the camera's firmware. Other lenses (esp. the 45 and 75) are rumored to have been designed and made by Sigma or Panasonic. And just as the image stabilization has noticeably improved over time, it may be that the degree of control over focus that is available in the older lenses is less than in the latest Pro models. You can do AF without knowing the focal distance -- just shift the lens until the image gets sharp. Focus bracketing is tougher. But this is all speculation. However, if Leica wishes to support AF with classic manual lenses, whether M or R, they might find Contax's solution interesting, implemented with magnetic suspension and electromagnetic actuators pushing and pulling rather than motors and ceramic guides. Personally, I find the idea of doing rough focus manually, and letting the electronics optimize, kinda appealing.

scott
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

www.achdigital.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Expensive indeed: triple the price for the Sony A7r Mark II
    But then it should come with a cool 24-90mm zoom lens

source: cameratimes.com
    Bart ...

Post Thanks / Like

If this price is correct, it better be MUCH better than the competition

Post Thanks / Like

Correction: the article speculates that the camera with lens could list at three times the street price of a new Sony without lens. Leica lenses are never cheap, so the body alone might only be slightly more expensive than a Sony body.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    If this price is correct, it better be MUCH better than the competition
    3X better!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Correction: the article speculates that the camera with lens could list at three times the street price of a new Sony without lens. Leica lenses are never cheap, so the body alone might only be slightly more expensive than a Sony body.
    Gosh, I hope it's just speculation...$10,000 would push many away (myself included). I do recall that there was similar speculation around the M240 and M9, prior to their release, and yet both came in at "better than expected" prices, albeit still pricey.

If (...a big If) this camera is based off the Q, and uses similar materials, sensor, an production lines, I see no reason for the SL to cost this much. The Q costs $4250 USD (lens included, of course), so I imagine that Leica would bring to market a SL, o with a "kit" lens included for about the price of the M240, or around $7K USD ($4000-$5000 body, $2,500 $3,500 lens). Besides the S, the M line is their mature, premium camera lineup, with plenty of lenses from which to choose. I seriously doubt that Leica would release a 1st generation body at an unreasonable price, pricing even huge fans as myself out of the purchase. They were reasonably fair in pricing out the T system (lenses were too expensive, in my opinion) and the Q, so I suspect they will be wise in terms of pricing the SL aggressively, especially with viable competitors on the market and in a "similar" (albeit non-luxury) segment....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    Gosh, I hope it's just speculation...$10,000 would push many away (myself included). I do recall that there was similar speculation around the M240 and M9, prior to their release, and yet both came in at "better than expected" prices, albeit still pricey.

If (...a big If) this camera is based off the Q, and uses similar materials, sensor, an production lines, I see no reason for the SL to cost this much. The Q costs $4250 USD (lens included, of course), so I imagine that Leica would bring to market a SL, o with a "kit" lens included for about the price of the M240, or around $7K USD ($4000-$5000 body, $2,500 $3,500 lens). Besides the S, the M line is their mature, premium camera lineup, with plenty of lenses from which to choose. I seriously doubt that Leica would release a 1st generation body at an unreasonable price, pricing even huge fans as myself out of the purchase. They were reasonably fair in pricing out the T system (lenses were too expensive, in my opinion) and the Q, so I suspect they will be wise in terms of pricing the SL aggressively, especially with viable competitors on the market and in a "similar" (albeit non-luxury) segment....
    Body price SHOULD be in the $2500-4000 range IMO. This camera will compete more with the A7II more than the A7RII. The lenses should be in the $1000-3500 range. Much more than that and most (outside the Leica faithful) will most likely ignore it.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

For me, if it is more than 5000.- with the 28-90 "kit" lens, then I am out of the game - definitely!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiredArm View Post
    Body price SHOULD be in the $2500-4000 range IMO. This camera will compete more with the A7II more than the A7RII. The lenses should be in the $1000-3500 range. Much more than that and most (outside the Leica faithful) will most likely ignore it.
    $2500 would be reasonable in comparison to the A7II. But it will not happen.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_R View Post
    R Lenses got a new life and appreciation thanks to the Sony A7R and now the A7RII.
    I thought that might be the case, which is the reason I bought an A7 to experiment with. And the A7 sensor did a reasonable job with most Leica R lenses, if not as good as I'd hoped with the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8. But I found the Sony A7 camera just too clunky to like. After trying for the better part of a year and some to get used to it, I gave up and sold it. Never even wanted to touch the Sony E-mount lenses; one test in the store and I didn't like the ones I touched at all.

I decided to expand my Nikon SLR system. After playing with an F6 for a bit, adding a few lenses, and adding the D750 body, I'm delighted.

I'd planned to sell off all the Leica R gear ... two Leicaflex SL bodies, R8 body, ten lenses ... But I made the mistake of taking out the black SL and fitting the Summicron-R 90mm to it over the weekend. Can't bear to part with it ... I'll keep that body along with four lenses (19/2.8, 50/1.4, 90/2, 180/4). The rest will go.

I could equip a couple of my R lenses with Leitax Nikon mounts, but why reduce the functionality of these lovely lenses just to use them on a Nikon body? I'm perfectly happy using them to shoot on film. And I love the simplicity*and ergonomics of the Leicaflex SL body.

The new Leica SL .... I look forward to seeing exactly what it is when Leica formally announces it, then how it works, and with what lenses, etc. I'm tired of the hamster-wheel rumor speculation.

G

The camera I've been carrying most the past few weeks is a Polaroid SX-70.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bernard View Post
    Bernard, you're right of course.
    Still, the SL with native lens makes for a steep entry fee into this new system.
    Hopefully there will be adapters for M and/or R-glass.
    Then it remains to be seen how it holds its ground in terms of IQ against the M-system.

Me ? I'm optimistic ...
    Bart ...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

At this time, is there anything we know for a fact? TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Godfrey, are you sure this is a good time to sell R lenses? Some of them are Dr Mandler's finest achievements. IMO they render more pleasing images than any newer, more 'clinical' designs.

If I had 11 I'd keep every single one, in anticipation of newer mirrorless bodies – from Leica, if not Sony – that will let them display their fine rendering of tones.

I agree the A7 was clunky to use by hand, but now I can conveniently use the RII on a tripod. I'm more than pleased with 'middle aged' Leica and Contax SLR glass, particularly in the upper midrange and highlight zones.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Godfrey, are you sure this is a good time to sell R lenses?
    If you want a better price for them sell them after the SL is introduced.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    At this time, is there anything we know for a fact? TIA.
    Nothing worth repeating. Just wait 2 weeks.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in no rush, the R equipment isn't going anywhere for at least a few months. But I am trying to off-load some of the excess around here.

I can always change my mind... and often do. :-)

Have to say, few cameras have ever been made that were as beautiful and as nice in the hand as a Leicaflex SL. Whomever did the body design did very well.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I'm in no rush, the R equipment isn't going anywhere for at least a few months. But I am trying to off-load some of the excess around here.

I can always change my mind... and often do. :-)

Have to say, few cameras have ever been made that were as beautiful and as nice in the hand as a Leicaflex SL. Whomever did the body design did very well.

G
    How do you think would the new Leica SL fit in between your Nikon equipment and your Leica X (don't remember if you still own M?)
    The more options popping up the more I get confused and lost.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Indeed
    Ed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    If a modern sensor could be put in a Leicaflex SL I'd be more than happy.
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    How do you think would the new Leica SL fit in between your Nikon equipment and your Leica X (don't remember if you still own M?)
    I'm quite happy with the M-P and D750 as my systems base, with the X for more casual use. The R system is kind of a hanger on ... If the new SL has some grand advantage, or if it provides a suitably useful R lens body, I could see trying one out. But it would have to be extremely compelling to be worth spending the money for. As said, I'd already planned to off the R kit, and at present all I intend to keep is a small set of lenses and an SL body for nostalgia's sake.

G