The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New camera system from Leica ?

doug

R Lenses got a new life and appreciation thanks to the Sony A7R and now the A7RII.
"Speaking" as a recent purchaser of an a7II, show me an interchangeable-lens Q with the option of using R lenses with proper full-aperture metering and auto-diaphragm and you'll have my attention.

doug

I am afraid that is a tough request for the moment as you suspect.
Technically it's not. An adapter with a ring motor for the diaphragm lever, aperture sensing levers translated to an electrical signal transmitted to the body, power to the adapter for the motor. The challenge is commercial, not technical.

ashwinrao1

I am eagerly looking forward to Ming' reviews. :)
Myself, I am looking forward to Jono's, Ming's, Sean Reid's, Steve Huff's, and LuLa's takes...all are usually informative and give a well rounded perspective. The only issue that I have with Ming's reviews are that he makes every camera produce beautiful, crisp images.

All of that said, I do hope that Leica has a few interesting cards up their sleeve. Though I agree, if they are to produce a mirrorless ILC lens camera with AF, I would hope that they'd allow it to adapt M lenses, and not just R lenses....I only worry that if they bulk it up too much to keep lens size small, the flange distance will not permit m lens use...fingers crossed, and hopefully Leica comes prepared to innovate and maintain its marketspace while providing us with exceptional tools.

fotografz

Stuart, it is sarcasm (not directed at you) and I agree that catastrophic level was breached a while back.

They lost Doug Herr. That ought to tell something.
Vivek, I wasn't aware Doug had moved onto something else. Do you know what he switched to?

- Marc

jonoslack

Myself, I am looking forward to Jono's, Ming's, Sean Reid's, Steve Huff's, and LuLa's takes...all are usually informative and give a well rounded perspective. The only issue that I have with Ming's reviews are that he makes every camera produce beautiful, crisp images.
But perhaps that's the point - reviewing cameras on the basis of their image quality really is like angels dancing on the heads of pins - of course, they're all slightly different, but given a similar format it seems to me that it's definitely 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. I think that the facilities ergonomics and usability is much more relevant . . . . but of course everyone has different requirements.

All this makes it difficult for reviewers to be relevant . . . . .

- - - Updated - - -

I believe he is now also using a Sony A7II with a Nikkor AIS lens, or something close to that.
I'm not sure that he's all that happy about it though - I reckon a suitable Leica system would bring him back pretty quickly!

All the best
Jono

V

Vivek

All of that said, I do hope that Leica has a few interesting cards up their sleeve. Though I agree, if they are to produce a mirrorless ILC lens camera with AF, I would hope that they'd allow it to adapt M lenses, and not just R lenses....I only worry that if they bulk it up too much to keep lens size small, the flange distance will not permit m lens use...fingers crossed, and hopefully Leica comes prepared to innovate and maintain its marketspace while providing us with exceptional tools.
I would guess it is the T 's registry just like what Sony did with their E mount.

doug

I believe he is now also using a Sony A7II with a Nikkor AIS lens, or something close to that.
I'm using a Sony a7II with R lenses and a Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L. If the new Leica is anywhere near compatible with R lenses I expect to be carrying a lot less weight in my wallet (not that it's heavy now).

The R8/DMR has put on a lot of weight recently and the a7II's IBIS, EFC and zebras are very handy. It takes me a while to fully get into a camera's groove and with the recent bad air quality, drought and seasonal lull in wildlife activity I haven't had as much practice with it as I'd like. The a7II is a good camera, and the potential for excellent image quality is there. The Canon 500mm L is for those times when I can't get close enough to use the 280 APO.

Anna's Hummingbird photo made with a7II & Canon FD 500mm f/4.5 L:

V

Vivek

$8,000 is a lot of cash for a first generation Leica digital camera.