The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono?

V

Vivek

Jono, I have not decided on the A7r2. That astounding high ISO camera rumor did catch my attention. :)

D&A

Jono wrote---> "Leica M9 with 75 APO Summicron"

See I knew it! Jono did have some images with the new M...codename M9! Um...oh wait, wasn't that name used by Leica once before??

Dave (D&A)

scott kirkpatrick

I tried to trip him up by asking in a private email what the code name for the new beast would be. He didn't bite on that, either. But his travel plans clearly indicate concealing new super photo-powers, or maybe are just life as usual.

Anyway, here are my choices for the next M code name:

Josef (Koudelka, of course)
Andre (Kertesz)
Robert (Capa or Frank)

Although Bayesian probability gives Robert two chances to the one chance for each of the other names, I think it will be Josef. Anyone care to contribute other contenders, or vote on these?

scott

Mike Woods

I tried to trip him up by asking in a private email what the code name for the new beast would be. He didn't bite on that, either. But his travel plans clearly indicate concealing new super photo-powers, or maybe are just life as usual.

Anyway, here are my choices for the next M code name:

Josef (Koudelka, of course)
Andre (Kertesz)
Robert (Capa or Frank)

Although Bayesian probability gives Robert two chances to the one chance for each of the other names, I think it will be Josef. Anyone care to contribute other contenders, or vote on these?

scott
I guess 'Mike' would be to......plain :(

Mike

jonoslack

I guess 'Mike' would be to......plain :(

Mike
Don't you mean 'Mike' would be too . . .. plain :)

Stanley sounds good Vivek (especially with his credentials as an excellent stills photographer) . . . and Scott - if you were trying to trip me up you'll have to do better than that :)

:)

scott kirkpatrick

Stanley is a cool name, but Stanley Kubrick is not particularly associated with Leica. In fact the lenses that he used for shooting Barry Lyndon by candlelight were Zeiss, I believe. Michael Cimino shot large parts of Heavens Gate in "golden light," like classic landscape photographers, so maybe "Mike" is not so far off.

scott

jonoslack

Stanley is a cool name, but Stanley Kubrick is not particularly associated with Leica. In fact the lenses that he used for shooting Barry Lyndon by candlelight were Zeiss, I believe. Michael Cimino shot large parts of Heavens Gate in "golden light," like classic landscape photographers, so maybe "Mike" is not so far off.

scott
I'm not sure whether he used Leica (I think so) but his stills photography from the 40s is nothing short of glorious http://twistedsifter.com/2011/12/stanley-kubricks-new-york-photos-1940s/

scott kirkpatrick

I like the Kubrick pictures, but I think #1 was not taken with the camera he's holding (look at the angle at which he is holding it), and the rest look like 6x6 medium speed film, based on the resolution and tonality, as well as shape. For Johnny on the spot, the natural trick would be to hold the Rollei inverted and out the window, the way they were used above your head for shots in a crowd.

So I still vote for Josef. I read recently that he is now shooting his ultrawide stuff digitally with a camera that Leica made for him. This I would love to see.

scott

algrove

Jono
If you want to get away from all those peeping Leica guys, Iceland seems the place to go. Just back from 10 days of camping in the Highlands. We got upset one day when we saw 2 other vehicles. Of course crossing 30-50cm deep "streams" in a Mercedes big wheel 4x4 van while fording 25-50 meter "streams" sure helped separate us from most others. Just remember to take a -15c sleeping bag and a down filled air mattress to keep your camera batteries warm.

Mike Woods

So.....in the absence of anything M-oriented at Photokina this year, I thought it might be fun to resurrect this old thread ;)

Where are you Jono?!

Mike

D&A

Maybe looking for Waldo (while taking a new Leica camera and lens to document the historic event when he finds him) :)

Dave (D&A)

algrove

He's in the Eastern Sierras emulating Ansel Adams or was he at the Ghost Ranch the other day. I think I spotted him there. He didn't want to talk and there was no internet anyway.

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
He's in the Eastern Sierras emulating Ansel Adams or was he at the Ghost Ranch the other day. I think I spotted him there. He didn't want to talk and there was no internet anyway.
Oh my ....

Must be a new camera ....

Must be a new M ....

Must be .....

Hard to believe that he has grown weary of the repartee .....

Really need to find out how much electrical tape he is buying these days.

Bob

sjg284

To steal a rhetorical device or two

People are saying that he is testing an interchangeable-lens Q system.
I've been hearing that it now sports a 52MP sensor, and has good noise control up to ISO 20,480.
As everyone knows, it shots 8K video @ 120fps.