The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono?

scott kirkpatrick

Hah!
I think you got it wrong Scott
I have been playing with a Panasonic G9 with the 'Leica' 12-60 vario elmarit and 100-400 Vario Elmar.
Yup. Only the 9 got through to me. Do both the G9 Vario combos offer combined IBIS OIS capabilities? Now why would you be checking out something like that? Or are you musing over the contrast between Leica's minimal unlabeled buttons, and Panasonic/Olympus's approach of buttons everywhere to do everything?

Saw your 75 gallery, and am looking forward to the 90 equivalent. If you run upgraded firmware to host the 75 and 90, have you checked to see if the AF improvements also help other SL lenses?

cheers,

scott

jonoslack

Yup. Only the 9 got through to me. Do both the G9 Vario combos offer combined IBIS OIS capabilities? Now why would you be checking out something like that? Or are you musing over the contrast between Leica's minimal unlabeled buttons, and Panasonic/Olympus's approach of buttons everywhere to do everything?

Saw your 75 gallery, and am looking forward to the 90 equivalent. If you run upgraded firmware to host the 75 and 90, have you checked to see if the AF improvements also help other SL lenses?

cheers,

scott
Hi Scott
That's a lot of questions!
As for the G9, on a whim (in September) I traded in my Olympus gear for a Fuji X-T2 with some lenses . . . . didn't like them, so I traded that in for a secondhand Nikon D810 and lenses with a view to upgrading to the D850 . . but that was just an SL substitute (and not as nice) so I got a Nikon D500 (on the basis of getting a proper small sensor camera) . . but it was nothing like as nice as the G9.

As for buttons and dials, the Panasonic is not even slightly like Olympus. The LCD top plate and dedicated (labelled) buttons means that the interface works rather like a Nikon or Canon - one of the joys is that you can both
1. save presets which work
2. shoot with the lcd reversed into the camera body and change all necessary settings with a button/dial set and the LCD. It's actually rather lovely . . and yes, both the 12-60 and the 100-400 use the dual stabilisation technique.

The lens firmware for the SL lenses appears to be in the lenses (not the body). The AF for the two zooms is fine (It might be improved, but I don't think so). I think the AF for the 50 SL will be improved, but I don't think it will be quite as cracking as it is for the summicrons.

There!

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott
That's a lot of questions!
There!
Yes, I'm partial to questions. And grateful for answers, which are harder to come by. You've become a one-man project on small camera user interfaces and lens qualities. Over the past year I've played a bit with the Olympus M1.2+12-100 doubly-stabiized combo, the Fuji 100-400 on an X-T2 (OIS only) and the SL with 90-280. I haven't had time yet to try it on the CL, waiting for better weather. One thing that strikes me is how different the world looks when you are viewing through stabilized longish lenses, and it's different with different camera systems. The Fuji really seemed to have a mind of its own. The Leica is a bit jerky, but perhaps I haven't figured out the camera settings. The Olympus seems to me to have it worked out best. I've used it for stills and video, and it seems to move at about the right rate and lock in solidly when you stop. How does the Panasonic compare? If only M43 made images as rich as full frame!

jonoslack

Yes, I'm partial to questions. And grateful for answers, which are harder to come by. You've become a one-man project on small camera user interfaces and lens qualities. Over the past year I've played a bit with the Olympus M1.2+12-100 doubly-stabiized combo, the Fuji 100-400 on an X-T2 (OIS only) and the SL with 90-280. I haven't had time yet to try it on the CL, waiting for better weather. One thing that strikes me is how different the world looks when you are viewing through stabilized longish lenses, and it's different with different camera systems. The Fuji really seemed to have a mind of its own. The Leica is a bit jerky, but perhaps I haven't figured out the camera settings. The Olympus seems to me to have it worked out best. I've used it for stills and video, and it seems to move at about the right rate and lock in solidly when you stop. How does the Panasonic compare? If only M43 made images as rich as full frame!
The CL works rather well with the 90-280, and the 100-400 is great on the G9, I think that the combined IS on the Panasonic is pretty comparable with that on the Olympus, and the interface is a lot nicer (really like a Nikon with explicit hold and dial buttons). I haven't done much video with it, but I"m assuming that it'll be even better.

. . but they don't have that lovely 12-100! on the other hand the 12-60 is much smaller and as good optically.

best
Jono

Godfrey

I've used Olympus E-M1 and E-PL7 for years; their image stabilization is simply terrific with excellent features and options. It does get a little jerky now and then with adapted extreme telephotos (a Sigma 600mm f/8 CAT that I play with occasionally) but is smooth as silk with even my ZD50-200+EC14 fitted.

I've never seen the Leica SL and SL90-280 seem jerky at all. I haven't made any special settings for the lens, just my usual configuration. It tracks gracefully and smoothly throughout the focal length range at all distances, far as I can see. There is some "hysteresis" lag if you repoint the camera in quick, jerky movements, though, which is what I think Doug Herr disliked about it because his subject matter is twitchy little birds, and Leica doesn't provide the "stabilize only at exposure time" option that Olympus provides, which solves that problem. My subject matter is rarely anything but people or racing motorcycles, or other subjects where I have the camera on a sturdy tripod with the OIS turned off, so this problem never evidences itself in my use.

G

SrMphoto

The CL works rather well with the 90-280, and the 100-400 is great on the G9, I think that the combined IS on the Panasonic is pretty comparable with that on the Olympus, and the interface is a lot nicer (really like a Nikon with explicit hold and dial buttons). I haven't done much video with it, but I"m assuming that it'll be even better.

. . but they don't have that lovely 12-100! on the other hand, the 12-60 is much smaller and as good optically.

best
Jono
Concur on Olympus 12-100 but was not lucky with Panasonic Leica 12-60 as I am returning it today. There seem to be QC problems with that lens. Never had any issues with any of M, SL or TL lenses so far (knock on the wood).

jonoslack

Concur on Olympus 12-100 but was not lucky with Panasonic Leica 12-60 as I am returning it today. There seem to be QC problems with that lens. Never had any issues with any of M, SL or TL lenses so far (knock on the wood).
That's unfortunate - I gave mine a good test when I got it and it seems to be fine - but sample variation really is an issue with most lenses.

Hopefully you'll get a perfect replacement.
best

Time to bring this thread back to life. It’s that time again!

Lot’s of rumors around new Leica products starting from the S3. And where’s Jono?!

He’s on vacation in Greece!

Let’s break out the popcorn and wait for reviews :watch:

Knorp

Time to bring this thread back to life. It’s that time again!

Lot’s of rumors around new Leica products starting from the S3. And where’s Jono?!

He’s on vacation in Greece!

Let’s break out the popcorn and wait for reviews :watch:
That's going to be a long wait, he's staying there until the 21st ... :sleep:

:watch: :watch: :watch:

jonoslack

Hi there!
Greetings from Creta!
Don’t eat too much popcorn- it might give you a tummy ache :)
Very Very best wishes to all

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The impressive thing is that a single member here can have his own thread wondering where he is!

Ok, back to reality, you don’t give a rat’s a$$ where he is. You all just want to know what new Leica gear Jono is testing. Just admit it! :thumbs::ROTFL:

jonoslack

The impressive thing is that a single member here can have his own thread wondering where he is!

Ok, back to reality, you don’t give a rat’s a$$ where he is. You all just want to know what new Leica gear Jono is testing. Just admit it! :thumbs::ROTFL:
Exactly Graham
But it’s all gentle and good natured, and if I were testing anything of course I couldn’t say!

What I can say is that the sun is shining, the Cretan wine is lovely and the sea is inviting - we’re having a lovely time!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The difficulty is that Jono could make a Holga sing .... and I have always said that the key to making great photographs is subject location and light.
And he nails all of those ...

Truth be told ... many of us live vicariously through his posts ... nothing better than a Jono post.

He is probably the encouragement I needed to drop the X1D ... return to a SL and M10. Once a Leica shooter ... difficult to leave the fold ... too many good
lenses and adequate bodies.

Still ... love to hear the latest and see all the light and color from the coast.

Cretan wine aside ... no Ouzo?

Safe travels and looking forward to the new new thing ... although I hear the new SL is a year away.

Best regards,

Bob

jonoslack

He is probably the encouragement I needed to drop the X1D ... return to a SL and M10. Once a Leica shooter ... difficult to leave the fold ... too many good
lenses and adequate bodies.

Still ... love to hear the latest and see all the light and color from the coast.

Cretan wine aside ... no Ouzo?

Safe travels and looking forward to the new new thing ... although I hear the new SL is a year away.

Best regards,

Bob
Hi there Bob
I hope you’re well. Glad to have helped lure you back.

In Crete they drink Raki rather than Ouzo.

All the best from Marmara