The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Where's Jono?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Hi there Bart
If this is true then it sounds like a brilliant move. A full frame sustem with all those excellent Sigma ART lenses together with Panasonic expertise in AF and Video. All with Leica L mount. Fantastic!
Speculation alert ...How will this affect Leica s product plans ?

Sensor technology ...if the rumors are solid ..Leica will introduce the S3 at 64MP and a premium price above $25K . This will then open up the SL product line to adopt a NEW SENSOR in the 40MP . Again rumors have this as being a Photokina 2019 product introduction .

Next generation cameras ....shared R&D ,sensor technology etc ..would be possible to have both Leica and Panasonic bodies built from the same framework ...This has less appeal for Leica IF the Panasonic can be viewed as a viable alternative to the SL.

Not sure where another product would fit for Leica ..maybe the elusive M mini that is discussed each year ...a lower cost ..but full frame ICL body with AF .

What makes little sense on the surface (quick look on my part ) .......

Why would Leica want to OPEN the L mount to Panasonic and Sigma ??????? Who buys a Panasonic to use Leica SL lenses which are all $5K or more . Yes maybe for video but Leica will not achieve much in new lens sale . Why would they want to facilitate competition from the Sigma lenses .

I could see some small amount of joint development of new lenses similar to what Leica did with Minolta in the 80 s .

Appears to be a very complex partnership to manage will be very interesting to see how this develops .

V

Vivek

If the new camera can’t handle the older Summicron 28/2 I am not interested that much.
Didn’t Leica themselves upgrade that Summicron (for the M mount!). You should sell it off if you are not using it on film cameras.

scott kirkpatrick

Didn’t Leica themselves upgrade that Summicron (for the M mount!). You should sell it off if you are not using it on film cameras.
That was around a year ago, I think. There were significant upgrades to the 28/2.0 and the 28/2.8 - asphs. There was also an update to the 35/2.0 but it was claimed to be optical idental with a smoother diaphragm opening for nicer bokeh -- an improvement that few could actually see in practice.

DB5

What a clever strategic move. It's worthy of applause! Leica becomes more accessible but it's own catalogue doesn't become diminished. It remains on a pedestal and gives them room to create a more interesting product in the SL that is less about catering to the lowest common denominator.

Also, most interesting to me is the fact that now Leica has invested themselves into a new level of competition, a whole new playing field. I would imagine this will do wonders for the entire product catalogue because they can no longer rely on being so super niche.

Robert Campbell

Speculation alert ...How will this affect Leica s product plans ?

I could see some small amount of joint development of new lenses similar to what Leica did with Minolta in the 80 s .

Appears to be a very complex partnership to manage will be very interesting to see how this develops .
Back in the 80s I had an R4 with an assortment of lenses. I only realised much later that Minolta had a hand in the design etc; I was very disappointed, thinking I'd bought 'pure' Leica and then finding it was more of a mongrel.