The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wide Angle shooting M9 V M240 - experiences appreciated

scott kirkpatrick

Interesting to hear your comments on the P45+ with a SWC.

I have a P45 and have tried it on 2 copies of SWC's and in both cases the IQ at the centre to about 2/3rd's of the way out was fabulous, but the outer third of the image got quite soft. I have read elsewhere that the P45 sized sensor and the SWC weren't a good match, and my experience seemed to confirm that.

I must say that I loved the compactness of the kit, it just felt so right for walk around street shooting, and on a medium format digital sensor…….very attractive :thumbup:
I shot for a while with the SWC/P45+ combo at a construction site. Here's one with concrete pouring down:

CF000541test by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I found in good light, stopped down to 5.6 or better, I could always get a crisp image across the background, but frequently had blurry foreground details. After a while I figured out that the focus scale was rotated by about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. Correcting for that error helped quite a bit. But I finished the job with an M9 and 21SEM. Still it was fun to shoot with this ultimate scale-focused point-n-shoot.

scott

PeterA

As much as I love using my M9 I find accurate framing with wide angle lenses to be a PITA. What good is edge to edge performance without accurate framing? The M240 with EVF transformed critical framing and widened the scope of the M system. I can now shoot my architectural based work with an outfit that is a fraction of the heft and girth of the medium format outfit I used previously.

It's changed my life :)
Hi Keith I hear you re the MF gear...the 25megapixels that the new M delivers is tempting...would be good if it handled wides better than the M9 - as for accurate framing - that is why I want to have a wider view - so I CAN crop if required - same way I shoot my Alpa and Artec tech cameras...except with MF you have the benefit of lenses with image circles larger than the chip and better resolving power...which as you know gives you more room to muck around with...

still I'm with you - I don't want to schlep all that tech MF gear around anymore ...and am not convinced about Sony as the lightweight solution..

-Pete

Seascape

Hi Peter, Leica has done a very nice job with some of the new designs such as the 21 3.4 SEM, that in combination with the M240 give excellent results edge to edge.

See attached image for 21mm SEM @ 5.6.

Attachments

algrove

Interesting to hear your comments on the P45+ with a SWC.

I have a P45 and have tried it on 2 copies of SWC's and in both cases the IQ at the centre to about 2/3rd's of the way out was fabulous, but the outer third of the image got quite soft. I have read elsewhere that the P45 sized sensor and the SWC weren't a good match, and my experience seemed to confirm that.

I must say that I loved the compactness of the kit, it just felt so right for walk around street shooting, and on a medium format digital sensor…….very attractive :thumbup:
There is a pro who actually makes plenty of money selling his fine art landscape prints and he uses the SWC and also the 503CW with the older P45 (not the plus model) and his images seem very good out to the corners. Alain Briot-beautiful-landscape.com