The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cron 35 asph

rayyan

How is the cron 35 asph for landscapes?

I mostly have experience with it at close quarters in urban settings.

Having read lot about curvature and focus shift issues, your personal experiences
Would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

JohnBrew

I used a 35 Cron ASPH on an M8 for three years. Perhaps the crop factor sensor masked any curvature, I don't know. What I do know is that I always had good usable images right out of the camera and I mostly shoot landscape and I believe (not certain) this was before PS had a lens correction database or if they did I didn't need or use it.
But a FF sensor may be a whole different ball game.

uhoh7

I came very close to buying one, so read many accounts.

Very sharp wide open and very small. There is an interesting thread at the L forum right now:

http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/83209-40mm-summicron-vs-35-summicron/

You will hear people chime in about the cron asph.

I bought a ZM35/2 instead, just because I shoot many landscapes and it is maybe better for that, but wide open the asph is much better.

I would go on flickr and search, I'm sure you will find many many samples. There are people who are negative about it, but I never really found a basis for the critique except an anti-new feeling :)

rayyan

Guys, thanks a lot for your experience with this lens.
Do agree that the M8 put a different slant on the lenses.

I did look through flickr. But I value your experiences more.

Thank you.

Paratom

Guys, thanks a lot for your experience with this lens.
Do agree that the M8 put a different slant on the lenses.

I did look through flickr. But I value your experiences more.

Thank you.
By the way the 35 Summarit isnt a bad lens either.

I really like this lens for landscapes. I used it extensively recently in the French Alps. I don't see any strong field curvature, which surprised me. Distance scenes of mountains at f5.6 and I got edge to edge sharpness on the M240. I never got that edge to edge perfection with my non-APO latest 50mm Summicron (which always drifts noticeably out of focus towards the edges - I am wondering if I need to have that 50mm looked at??)
The 35mm ASPH is quite harsh vs. my 50mm Summi in terms of its rendering of sharpness. For portraits, it needs some taming in post (ie, very small amount of sharpening if any - and at times I reduce sharpening in RAW for portraits), but for detailed landscapes it's worked really well.
My proof is a 30x20" print at 300dpi off a high-end Epson from a pro lab. The print is pretty flawless, technically.

wattsy

I think it depends upon the qualities you are looking for. I've been using the 35 Summicron ASPH for most of the summer and it is currently my preferred choice (over my Summilux ASPH) for landscape. That said, I only really shoot film at the moment and it is on that medium that I think this lens especially shines.

algrove

I use mine for landscape without qualms. Recently shot with a friend and found out he also uses the 35/2 ASPH for his landscapes 85% of the time.

I only really shoot film at the moment and it is on that medium that I think this lens especially shines.
Interesting comment, mainly given it possibly ties in with my previous comment that the 35mm Summi ASPH can be a bit "harsh" on the M240, and I am speculating (only mid-roll with an M7 and Adox 20 as the first test) that the high acuity ("bite"?) that this lens achieves will combine to work really well with the softer rendering of film compared to digital sensor.
Is that also what you're saying, or have you found other attributes of the 35mm Sumi + film combo?

rayyan

Thank you folks. Thank you very much.

Flickr would never have given me this information...

To tell the truth I like a contrasty look, ' bite' in the images..crisp like a cold winter sunlit morning.

I am convinced..the experts have spoken. I shall have the cron 35 ash in my back shortly.

:salute:

seakayaker

I believe you will love the 35/2 ASPH.

Have always love using because of the size and of course the results.

Good luck with your decision and hope you find a bargain out there.

wattsy

Interesting comment, mainly given it possibly ties in with my previous comment that the 35mm Summi ASPH can be a bit "harsh" on the M240, and I am speculating (only mid-roll with an M7 and Adox 20 as the first test) that the high acuity ("bite"?) that this lens achieves will combine to work really well with the softer rendering of film compared to digital sensor.
Is that also what you're saying, or have you found other attributes of the 35mm Sumi + film combo?
It might be partly that, Jon. For me I think it is also that I don't think the digital sensors cope so well with the oblique angles of light from this lens, especially around the edges of the frame. On film, the lens seems to have a more natural and consistent sharpness across the frame and the optical character (with IMO a surprisingly apparent narrow depth of field for a given aperture at this focal length) shines through. The lens also seems to have a pronounced curvature of field which, I think, is masked to an extent, by the intrinsic thickness and irregularity of film compared with the zero depth and uncompromising flatness of a digital sensor. I also feel the same way about the 28 Summicron, a more recent design but still one firmly from the film era. That lens also vignettes quite badly on digital (in spite of the 6-bit in-camera corrections for vignetting), something it doesn't do on film emulsion. (I would probably have sold my 28 Summicron by now if I hadn't largely switched to film and discovered the true qualities of this lens.)

Some more examples with the 35 Summicron ASPH.

silver92b

I'm not sure if these are proper "landscape" shots, but I was clicking away while waiting to meet a friend the other day and shot these...

Geoff

Is there much difference between v.1 and v.2 of these? And of the non-6bit coded earlier ones?

Anyone do a comparison with the earlier non-Asph 'crons, or the Summarit?

Thanks,
Geoff