The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Delivery Delays on 21 and 24mm Lux

jonoslack

Hi there
I've noticed that on the Robert White Website, the delivery for these two lenses has gone out to Summer (from February -the 50 0.95 is still saying February).

I should care . . . at £3690 each I wasn't planning to rush out and buy 'em!

robsteve

Subscriber
Jono:

I bet if your ordered one of each, Leica will put you at the head of the line for delivery of the new lenses :)

Robert

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
I have been trying to track this as the 21 1.4 is a perfect lens for my shooting style. Initially I had heard that a problem with the moving lens element was causing additional calibration time.....and that Solms had decided not to release the lenses until they had enough to release a first batch. Robert White told me that they hadn t actually started production and probably would not for another 2 months. So the prediction is summer.

T

TimF

I have been trying to track this as the 21 1.4 is a perfect lens for my shooting style. Initially I had heard that a problem with the moving lens element was causing additional calibration time.....and that Solms had decided not to release the lenses until they had enough to release a first batch. Robert White told me that they hadn t actually started production and probably would not for another 2 months. So the prediction is summer.
Ivor at Red Dot told me your first reason - that they weren't satisfied with the quality from the first production run - the floating element being the tricky customer, and were having to individually calibrate the lenses. This is all very frustrating. Hopefully I'll get an update at the w/e.

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Yes, the floating lens group wasn't where Leica wanted it to be. The issues have been worked out and the 24 Lux will be going into full-scale production by next week. The 21 Lux will follow about two weeks after that. Both the 21 and the 24 share many of the same components. So, we should start to see some lenses by end of March or beginning of April.

If anyone is going to PMA, you can see some samples from the 21 Lux in the Leica booth. We are currently printing a bunch of 20x30 prints for Leica and they are looking really nice.

David

jonoslack

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I hadn't really investigated too far, as I really am not in the market (I am not in the market . . . I am not in the market . . . I am not in the market).

Good to know that they're planning on getting it right first rather than after.

cam

Riccis (who is a member here as well) has a thread up on another forum. initial shots are available on his blog and they are stunning!

drool. sigh. must stop looking....

Riccis

Yes, I have a 24 on my hands and it's amazing! Please visit my blog for some stuff I shot last night and feel free to post any questions.

Cheers,

TimWright

Yes I saw your post on the Leica forum and looked at your site. Great shots and the lens looks like it is fantastic. Thats why I am afraid to visit the shop.

woodyspedden

Yes, the floating lens group wasn't where Leica wanted it to be. The issues have been worked out and the 24 Lux will be going into full-scale production by next week. The 21 Lux will follow about two weeks after that. Both the 21 and the 24 share many of the same components. So, we should start to see some lenses by end of March or beginning of April.

If anyone is going to PMA, you can see some samples from the 21 Lux in the Leica booth. We are currently printing a bunch of 20x30 prints for Leica and they are looking really nice.

David
Kurland in NYC is advertising the 24 1.4 as available now!

Woody

Terry

Yes, I have a 24 on my hands and it's amazing! Please visit my blog for some stuff I shot last night and feel free to post any questions.

Cheers,
Riccis,
I saw your blog and you mentioned not having an external finder for framing. On your M8's do you find the 24 framelines problematic. Not sure why you would need an external finder.

Riccis

Riccis,
I saw your blog and you mentioned not having an external finder for framing. On your M8's do you find the 24 framelines problematic. Not sure why you would need an external finder.
You really don't need it but I have to get one for my film cameras... I had issues on the first few frames I shot but that was my fault as I was a bit sloppy... I also did that blog post at about 4:00 a.m. and was not 100% there :p

Cheers,

scott kirkpatrick

I feel like Jono. "Don't need this... don't need this... don't need this.") But when I selected two filters for the M8.2 I picked a Series VII and a Series VIII since I don't currently need any IR filters, and these were the most valuable on the list. They will be whispering to me for the next few months...

Global pricewatching during those months should be interesting. What's the salestax in NZ? Do you get it back at the border when you leave?

scott

waynelake

Global pricewatching during those months should be interesting. What's the salestax in NZ? Do you get it back at the border when you leave?

scott
At the border:rolleyes: :ROTFL:

It looks like this place has 2 shops in Auckland. NZ's largest city. The sales tax is called GST. Goods and Services Tax. Its 12.5%. Would probably have to send them an email, or phone them if interested. I'm guessing for outside NZ, their price is as stated, less that 12.5%. In NZ the usual is to quote prices including GST, otherwise its a certain price and stated + GST. And I'm fairly certain relevant within NZ only.

I did notice the price of the new Noctilux was 3000 more 2-3 weeks ago.
My thought was it (maybe) made more sense to spend extra 2000 for the new Noctilux than second hand older one. Which by the way probably only available outside NZ...

"Photo & Video" is a place I've been to bought from in NZ. Its listed at below site. Even there the M8.2 is NZ$9400, or US$4700. New Zealand is US$1300-1500 cheaper than B&H USA!!!
http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?q=leica&o=50

Last edited:

robmac

Interesting.. don't recall where I read it but Leica apparently just went for an extra $9.5M (IIRC was dollars) in financing or bank funds (thing was badly translated from German) as they needed funds due to "product delays", etc. Seems like a pretty minimal amount of $$ - especially to make the news, but still interesting.