Site Sponsors

Thread: Delivery Delays on 21 and 24mm Lux

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Delivery Delays on 21 and 24mm Lux

Hi there
    I've noticed that on the Robert White Website, the delivery for these two lenses has gone out to Summer (from February -the 50 0.95 is still saying February).

I should care . . . at £3690 each I wasn't planning to rush out and buy 'em!

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Delivery Delays on 21 and 24mm Lux

Jono:

I bet if your ordered one of each, Leica will put you at the head of the line for delivery of the new lenses

Robert

Post Thanks / Like

I have been trying to track this as the 21 1.4 is a perfect lens for my shooting style. Initially I had heard that a problem with the moving lens element was causing additional calibration time.....and that Solms had decided not to release the lenses until they had enough to release a first batch. Robert White told me that they hadn t actually started production and probably would not for another 2 months. So the prediction is summer.

TimF

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    I have been trying to track this as the 21 1.4 is a perfect lens for my shooting style. Initially I had heard that a problem with the moving lens element was causing additional calibration time.....and that Solms had decided not to release the lenses until they had enough to release a first batch. Robert White told me that they hadn t actually started production and probably would not for another 2 months. So the prediction is summer.
    Ivor at Red Dot told me your first reason - that they weren't satisfied with the quality from the first production run - the floating element being the tricky customer, and were having to individually calibrate the lenses. This is all very frustrating. Hopefully I'll get an update at the w/e.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the floating lens group wasn't where Leica wanted it to be. The issues have been worked out and the 24 Lux will be going into full-scale production by next week. The 21 Lux will follow about two weeks after that. Both the 21 and the 24 share many of the same components. So, we should start to see some lenses by end of March or beginning of April.

If anyone is going to PMA, you can see some samples from the 21 Lux in the Leica booth. We are currently printing a bunch of 20x30 prints for Leica and they are looking really nice.

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Good to know, as I cannot wait to try them out.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I hadn't really investigated too far, as I really am not in the market (I am not in the market . . . I am not in the market . . . I am not in the market).

Good to know that they're planning on getting it right first rather than after.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like

The 24 at least seems to be available as my dealer informed me he got one in this week.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Riccis (who is a member here as well) has a thread up on another forum. initial shots are available on his blog and they are stunning!

drool. sigh. must stop looking....

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I have a 24 on my hands and it's amazing! Please visit my blog for some stuff I shot last night and feel free to post any questions.

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I saw your post on the Leica forum and looked at your site. Great shots and the lens looks like it is fantastic. Thats why I am afraid to visit the shop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    Yes, the floating lens group wasn't where Leica wanted it to be. The issues have been worked out and the 24 Lux will be going into full-scale production by next week. The 21 Lux will follow about two weeks after that. Both the 21 and the 24 share many of the same components. So, we should start to see some lenses by end of March or beginning of April.

If anyone is going to PMA, you can see some samples from the 21 Lux in the Leica booth. We are currently printing a bunch of 20x30 prints for Leica and they are looking really nice.

David
    Kurland in NYC is advertising the 24 1.4 as available now!

Woody

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Riccis View Post
    Yes, I have a 24 on my hands and it's amazing! Please visit my blog for some stuff I shot last night and feel free to post any questions.

Cheers,
    Riccis,
    I saw your blog and you mentioned not having an external finder for framing. On your M8's do you find the 24 framelines problematic. Not sure why you would need an external finder.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by woodyspedden View Post
    Kurland in NYC is advertising the 24 1.4 as available now!

Woody
    Woody

Doesn t appear to be there anymore? Also the price is $6595 ..I thought they had adjusted the list price to $5995.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    Riccis,
    I saw your blog and you mentioned not having an external finder for framing. On your M8's do you find the 24 framelines problematic. Not sure why you would need an external finder.
    You really don't need it but I have to get one for my film cameras... I had issues on the first few frames I shot but that was my fault as I was a bit sloppy... I also did that blog post at about 4:00 a.m. and was not 100% there

Cheers,

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glenerrolrd View Post
    Woody

Doesn t appear to be there anymore? Also the price is $6595 ..I thought they had adjusted the list price to $5995.
    I guess they are trying to rip off their customers since the price is $5995...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here we go...
    In New Zealand the price is
    NZ$8919 each, for the new 21mm, and 24mm and M8.2

Converting to USD, and thats $4438. Bargain!!!

Wait theres more.
    Whats the M Noctilux worth. US$5000? Thats NZ$10 000, (+ post and 12.5% GST if from overseas.)
    The new 0.95 version is NZ$13309. Divide by 2 = USD.

http://www.camera-camera.com/default...idCategory=141

Holiday anyone?

Post Thanks / Like

I feel like Jono. "Don't need this... don't need this... don't need this.") But when I selected two filters for the M8.2 I picked a Series VII and a Series VIII since I don't currently need any IR filters, and these were the most valuable on the list. They will be whispering to me for the next few months...

Global pricewatching during those months should be interesting. What's the salestax in NZ? Do you get it back at the border when you leave?

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post

Global pricewatching during those months should be interesting. What's the salestax in NZ? Do you get it back at the border when you leave?

scott
    At the border

It looks like this place has 2 shops in Auckland. NZ's largest city. The sales tax is called GST. Goods and Services Tax. Its 12.5%. Would probably have to send them an email, or phone them if interested. I'm guessing for outside NZ, their price is as stated, less that 12.5%. In NZ the usual is to quote prices including GST, otherwise its a certain price and stated + GST. And I'm fairly certain relevant within NZ only.

I did notice the price of the new Noctilux was 3000 more 2-3 weeks ago.
    My thought was it (maybe) made more sense to spend extra 2000 for the new Noctilux than second hand older one. Which by the way probably only available outside NZ...

"Photo & Video" is a place I've been to bought from in NZ. Its listed at below site. Even there the M8.2 is NZ$9400, or US$4700. New Zealand is US$1300-1500 cheaper than B&H USA!!!
    http://www.pricespy.co.nz/search.php?q=leica&o=50
    Last edited by waynelake; 3rd March 2009 at 23:45.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting.. don't recall where I read it but Leica apparently just went for an extra $9.5M (IIRC was dollars) in financing or bank funds (thing was badly translated from German) as they needed funds due to "product delays", etc. Seems like a pretty minimal amount of $$ - especially to make the news, but still interesting.