Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

  1. #1
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Hi There
    Bob has done a great job of putting my
    Leica S (typ 007) report

    on the front page.
    It's kind of oblique, as I haven't used an S camera before - but hopefully it will be of interest to some.

    Just this guy you know
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

  2. #2
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Thank you Jono for the report/review.

    How did you feel you could use the S for spontanious photography?

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,173
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi There
    Bob has done a great job of putting my
    Leica S (typ 007) report

    on the front page.
    It's kind of oblique, as I haven't used an S camera before - but hopefully it will be of interest to some.
    Thanks for your review Jono. It provided an interesting perspective from a street shooting/travel perspective. However I really hoped to see more serious shots, ones that an actual leica S user would be mostly concerned. Beauty and Landscape photograhy.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    191
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    However I really hoped to see more serious shots, ones that an actual leica S user would be mostly concerned.
    No offence dude, but this sounds rather condescending IMO...
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    Thanks for your review Jono. It provided an interesting perspective from a street shooting/travel perspective. However I really hoped to see more serious shots, ones that an actual leica S user would be mostly concerned. Beauty and Landscape photograhy.
    Hi there
    Well, I think the purpose of Leica in giving me the camera was to get a handle on how the camera could be used for "non serious" photography: Not much doubt that it also performs for "serious" Landscape and beauty photography. other reviewers will/have concentrated on that Mind you, nobody has ever called my photography "street" before!

    Hopefully it expanded some people's idea of where the camera can be used.

    Just this guy you know

  6. #6
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    No offence dude, but this sounds rather condescending IMO...
    Hi Joris
    No worries. I certainly don't feel condescended to! I'm usually trying to make people smile anyway, so I shall take it as a compliment . Thank you though!

    Just this guy you know
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    jonoslack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    East Anglia & Cornwall (UK)
    Posts
    11,778
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Thank you Jono for the report/review.

    How did you feel you could use the S for spontanious photography?
    Hi Tom
    Well, I think you can easily use the camera for spontaneous photography, but of course you do have to carry it!

    Just this guy you know

  8. #8
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi there
    Well, I think the purpose of Leica in giving me the camera was to get a handle on how the camera could be used for "non serious" photography: Not much doubt that it also performs for "serious" Landscape and beauty photography. other reviewers will/have concentrated on that Mind you, nobody has ever called my photography "street" before!

    Hopefully it expanded some people's idea of where the camera can be used.
    I have been using the S2 and S 006 for "non serious" photography for years now and I think I am not alone.I also believe part of the idea and design of the S-System is to allow to also use the camera for such kind of things, even if it might be overkill.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  9. #9
    Senior Member JohnBrew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    532
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Jono, I think you covered "beauty and landscape" perfectly. Ya know, whatever camera I happen to have on me at the moment is going to have to suffice for whatever I run into - street, landscape, portrait, architecture, what have you. Sure, if I go out with the purpose of just shooting landscape, then I take my tripod and some more specific gear, but I don't let that limit my photography.
    When I went to your review I found your usual take on things which I appreciate no end. This is what I expect and you deliver.
    Thank you.
    John
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Just joined the Leica S007 club today with a 007, 24, 30, 20-90, 70, 120mm lens.

    Have been using H3DII 22, 5DMKIII and A7RII until today.

    Have only taken a few shots, mostly with the 120mm but all I can say so far is F--K me!!!

    I think I've got my mojo back!!!

  11. #11
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by justalexander View Post
    Just joined the Leica S007 club today with a 007, 24, 30, 20-90, 70, 120mm lens.

    Have been using H3DII 22, 5DMKIII and A7RII until today.

    Have only taken a few shots, mostly with the 120mm but all I can say so far is F--K me!!!

    I think I've got my mojo back!!!
    Sounds good. Enjoy and let us see some images!

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    Sounds good. Enjoy and let us see some images!
    Have had the camera for 6 hours and most of that time was spent downloading software, updating firmware and trying to find the best way to squeeze this wonderful system into one of my bags.

    Just uploaded my first test images. The hi res is available here...
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kdoqwzaxpqa6mc/Tree.jpg?dl=0

    Wanted to test the dynamic range and noise. The baubles on the tree were almost completely black with the lights being pure white. ISO 100, 12 seconds at F8. No other edits. Pin sharp from corner to corner. Noise reduction turned off.

    The starbursts are truly incredible!

    I've never been a Leica Fanboy but this camera changes everything. It genuinely makes me want to go out and take photos in my spare time which I've never done because when you work 12 hrs behind a camera everyday, the thought of picking up a camera in my spare time makes me nauseous!

    A very important lesson I've just learnt is that any vibration however small seriously degrades the incredible sharpness these lenses are capable off. I'm using a new $2000 Arca Swiss D4 geared head on a pair of Manfrotto 055 Pro B legs... and I think the legs have to go ASAP!

    I really want to show the detail of the tree, does anyone know how I can upload a hi res image??? Does this work?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0kdoqwzaxpqa6mc/Tree.jpg?dl=0
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tree.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	730.4 KB 
ID:	114959  
    Last edited by justalexander; 11th December 2015 at 07:06.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

  13. #13
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    I use it 98% handhold and still happy with results. So i assume when I would put it on a tripod it would be even sharper, Best, Tom

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I use it 98% handhold and still happy with results. So i assume when I would put it on a tripod it would be even sharper, Best, Tom
    This was a 12 second exposure and there is a subway right beneath. I guess the camera only needs to move/wobble 6 microns during the exposure for it to be less than perfect... and 6 microns is a VERY small number!

    I think I'd be happy to hand hold down to 1/focal length but for super critical work I'm going to tie it down to make the most of my $80,000 investment!

  15. #15
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by justalexander View Post
    This was a 12 second exposure and there is a subway right beneath. I guess the camera only needs to move/wobble 6 microns during the exposure for it to be less than perfect... and 6 microns is a VERY small number!

    I think I'd be happy to hand hold down to 1/focal length but for super critical work I'm going to tie it down to make the most of my $80,000 investment!
    80 K ? HOW many bodies did you get ?

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    80 K ? HOW many bodies did you get ?
    1 body. 5 lenses. 1 cable release. 2 extra USB cables. 2 extra batteries. Leica UV Filters for each lens... (and those suckers are EXPENSIVE!!!)

  17. #17
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Okay... just discovered images are limited to 2400px which I uploaded but images still appear to be compressed with no control over the compression quality.

    So I've now had the camera just over 12 hours and havnt tried anything serious, still having fun testing the quality of the files including dynamic range sharpness etc... 30-90mm at 30mm F8 11 seconds. The starbursts are beautiful and the quality is just jaw dropping. These uploads don't do it justice!!!

    I've straightened and cropped in photoshop.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luna Park.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	601.0 KB 
ID:	114994   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luna Park 02.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	965.7 KB 
ID:	114995  
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

  18. #18
    Senior Member biglouis's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,128
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Whenever I look at S images, even compressed ones, they are impressive. I suppose they should be at that price but then you get what you pay for!

    LouisB

  19. #19
    Senior Member Hulyss Bowman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,085
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    This is really beautiful rendering. The lights rendering is flawless. Congrats to who acquired such marvellous gear
    Kind regards - Hulyss - hulyssbowman.com

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    79
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Leica S (007) review from an outsider!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hulyss Bowman View Post
    This is really beautiful rendering. The lights rendering is flawless. Congrats to who acquired such marvellous gear
    It truly is stunning!!! A closer look at the lights...

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Luna Park 03.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	857.8 KB 
ID:	115021

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •