Site Sponsors
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    It's been fine for me at shutter speeds no faster than 1/1000 sec. At faster shutter speeds I get uneven exposure. I use E1C shutter mode because it's quieter and more responsive. If the SL is as quiet and responsive without this feature I'd be OK without E1C.
    Hi there Doug
    I was disappointed that there wasn't EFC. but the quiet shutter, the lack of lag and the solid body make it less necessary
    All the best

Just this guy you know
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

and i asked does it work with the s lenses and the answer was yes. the answer is no it does not work with cs lenses, rather lame.

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I think this feature can be activated anytime via firmware! Or maybe there would be some SL lenses with leaf shutter coming later?

Peter
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

i think it is best if Leica lets both the s and sl system ride on their own merits rather than trying to stack the deck.

i also think they should have gone with sony, the s would have had a 50 meg sensor and the sl would have had a 36 or 42! if i commit to a system, i buy two cameras, i just can not see paying 14k for 24 meg now and on top of that no lenses but one.

Post Thanks / Like

For those who compare the SL to the A7r2, or any A7 as a platform for any non-native Sony lenses I suggest a close read of the following:

LensRentals.com - Sony E Mount Lens Optical Bench Tests

"unlike most of the Canon and Nikon mount tests we've already done, we've added 2mm of optical glass to the testing path of these [Sony FE] lenses. Why? Because we ran lots of trial tests and found that at least the first Sony lenses we tested performed much better with that amount of glass in the optical path. It made a big difference with the Sony lenses, while it did not make much difference for most of the Canon and Nikon lenses we tested"

So, what is the "glass in the path" on the body? I suspect this is the thick sensor cover which is removed with the kolari mod. Even the 50/1.8 seems to be tuned for this. Roger's guess about flange issues makes no sense as Leica RF glass is equally short and I don't hear any "glass in the path" needed for the 50APO which he has also tested.

Reverse this, and the conclusion is no legacy lens will be as happy as without, "the glass in the path" for which they were not designed. Add to this the revelations about Zeiss FE copy variations (documented in the same article above), and the Leica SL looks alot less silly compared to the Sony, than a glance at a DPR photo must first suggest. In fact, I don't think at this point there is any more question the Leica SL is the best legacy glass platform ever made, in terms of pure performance.

I still can't afford one

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    I still can't afford one
    What? So, it is A7 that you would actually use for photography?!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think at this point there is any more question the Leica SL is the best legacy glass platform ever made, in terms of pure performance.

I still can't afford one
    I have litte doubt that this is true, but only for some of the Leica M lenses (mostly wides and up to 50mm), but then there is no EFC and no ISIS in the SL, and this may be a severe limitation when using long glasses. With other legacy lenses I do not see any real advantage at this point in comparison with competing platforms.
    Having said that it is a beautiful camera, I had the opportunity to use it briefly with the 24/90 and with a Summilux R 35/1.4 and it was a real pleasure.
    Last edited by Ario Arioldi; 26th October 2015 at 01:59.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I have litte doubt that this is true, but only for some of the Leica M lenses (mostly wides and up to 50mm), but then there is no EFC and no ISIS in the SL, and this may be a severe limitation when using long glasses.
    The advantages of E1C are lower vibration, less noise and shorter shutter lag. If the SL is as quiet, lacking vibration and as responsive without E1C I don't have a problem with the lack of this feature especially since E1C fails (on my a7II) with adapted lenses at shutter speeds faster than 1/1000 sec.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

In which way does it fail? Example please. TIA.
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by k-hawinkler View Post
    Uneven exposure, the upper part of the photo can be several stops under-exposed depending on shutter speed.

Post Thanks / Like

This blog has some good data on this limitation and other tests for other limitations, well worth the read:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11455

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thedigitalbean View Post
    This blog has some good data on this limitation and other tests for other limitations, well worth the read:

http://blog.kasson.com/?p=11455

Thanks. Yup, I am fully aware of that. He changed his recommendation from 1/2000 s to 1/1000 s.
    With best regards, K-H.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by doug View Post
    Uneven exposure, the upper part of the photo can be several stops under-exposed depending on shutter speed.
    Thanks Doug. After reading Jim Kasson's blog I try to follow his recommendation.
    But I have shot E1C shutter with 1/2000 s to 1/2500 s and didn't experience anything like that with my A7r2.
    I guess, I will have to pay closer attention.
    With best regards, K-H.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had a camera without EFSC the A7r and I'm not going down that path again. I'm out although this does have promise for Leica folks. Also the CS being left out is not good. That was a advantage having that leaf shutter ability
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Doug. After reading Jim Kasson's blog I try to follow his recommendation.
    But I have shot E1C shutter with 1/2000 s to 1/2500 s and didn't experience anything like that with my A7r2.
    I guess, I will have to pay closer attention.
    As I understand it the problem shows up most with large aperture adapted lenses. I saw it when using the FD 500mm f/4.5 L. It was not a subtle effect.
    Doug Herr http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    I have litte doubt that this is true, but only for some of the Leica M lenses (mostly wides and up to 50mm), .
    I disagree after ALOT of experience with many film lenses on the A7r and A7, and now Kolari.

The A7 series do weird things with all sorts of legacy SLR lenses. For example I have the famous Canon nFD 24/2. It's terrible on un-modded A7. It's fantastic on the Kolari. The issues we have seen from the beginning with 50s like the Lux ASPH, which is awful on the stock Sony, and the long long struggle for high performance ultra-wide should be a strong hint the sensor cover glass has wide effects (though of course they vary.)

So, I say the SL is the best legacy platform for ANY film lens. Assuming you can find the adapters, which are dumb and should be no problem eventually.

Vivek, I started with A7r, sent it back and got A7 (this right at original release), then was so disappointed with A7 and film lenses, I bought an M9. Following year Kolari became option. I had one of the very first, which was good because as soon as it came back my M9 shutter went down For 6 weeks I only shot the A7.mod.

There is no comparison. The Kolari mod totally resurrected the A7 for me, and not just with M wides. You still have the lousy cooked Sony "Raw" files and various annoyances of the interface, plus the poor EVF, but it's fully usable and can make some great images.

Today I go everywhere with both bodies.

I've felt up to now that the A7 with native glass did offer some very good performance, though for various reasons I don't like the choices much (bad MF feel on some, size issues with others etc). But the Lensrental data is damning of the native path for landscape lovers like me:

"The FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA lenses are all over the place. It actually is a bit worse than the graphs look because a lot of the variance is WITHIN a copy, not just copy-to-copy. None of the 10 copies we tested had even corners. And I'll editorialize and say that none of the dozens we've tested on Imatest had even corners either. If you use this lens for centered objects, you'll be happy. If you want 4 sharp corners, it's not likely to happen unless your standards for equal sharpness are pretty low."

Later he talks about the 90/2.8 issues. Now, most of my regard for the native path has evaporated. However, my affection for my little Kolari A7 is higher than ever

Roger
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree after ALOT of experience with many film lenses on the A7r and A7, and now Kolari.

The A7 series do weird things with all sorts of legacy SLR lenses. For example I have the famous Canon nFD 24/2. It's terrible on un-modded A7. It's fantastic on the Kolari. The issues we have seen from the beginning with 50s like the Lux ASPH, which is awful on the stock Sony, and the long long struggle for high performance ultra-wide should be a strong hint the sensor cover glass has wide effects (though of course they vary.)

So, I say the SL is the best legacy platform for ANY film lens. Assuming you can find the adapters, which are dumb and should be no problem eventually.

Vivek, I started with A7r, sent it back and got A7 (this right at original release), then was so disappointed with A7 and film lenses, I bought an M9. Following year Kolari became option. I had one of the very first, which was good because as soon as it came back my M9 shutter went down For 6 weeks I only shot the A7.mod.

There is no comparison. The Kolari mod totally resurrected the A7 for me, and not just with M wides. You still have the lousy cooked Sony "Raw" files and various annoyances of the interface, plus the poor EVF, but it's fully usable and can make some great images.

Today I go everywhere with both bodies.

I've felt up to now that the A7 with native glass did offer some very good performance, though for various reasons I don't like the choices much (bad MF feel on some, size issues with others etc). But the Lensrental data is damning of the native path for landscape lovers like me:

"The FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA lenses are all over the place. It actually is a bit worse than the graphs look because a lot of the variance is WITHIN a copy, not just copy-to-copy. None of the 10 copies we tested had even corners. And I'll editorialize and say that none of the dozens we've tested on Imatest had even corners either. If you use this lens for centered objects, you'll be happy. If you want 4 sharp corners, it's not likely to happen unless your standards for equal sharpness are pretty low."

Later he talks about the 90/2.8 issues. Now, most of my regard for the native path has evaporated. However, my affection for my little Kolari A7 is higher than ever

Roger

Simple fix.
    1. Get two A7Rii's for 80% the price of a SL.
    2. Kolari mod one and you get 42MP + IBIS for all your legacy glasses.
    3. For the unmodded A7Rii, get the awesome ZEISS glasses, like the Loxia 21mm and Batis 25mm. There will be VERY few legacy lenses that can match those two. Why even bother with the FE glass? (except for maybe the FE55)

Post Thanks / Like

The FE 35mm f1,4 praise was one of the major reasons why I've decided to buy the A7rII.
    The purpose was to sell my 45mm S lens to finance the Sony combo purchase. To me the S offers more advantages and character from 50mm and up than on the wide side, where lenses sort of just have to be sharp all the way (for landscape & architecture works).
    After several comparisons between both systems (A7rII +35mm f1,4 vs S2 + 45mm S) I couldn't believe how bad the Sony was on borders and corners.
    It cost me some money to sell the Sony system back only 2 weeks after its purchase but, at least, it helped me remember what level of IQ an S lens can offer (although even without direct comparison it was easy to see there was a problem in the corners with the FE 35mm f1,4).
    It also helped me remember that forum info must always be put into perspective against your own level of expectations...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by anGy View Post
    The FE 35mm f1,4 praise was one of the major reasons why I've decided to buy the A7rII.
    The purpose was to sell my 45mm S lens to finance the Sony combo purchase. To me the S offers more advantages and character at medium to long focal lengths than on the wide side, where lenses sort of just have to be sharp all the way (for landscape & architecture works).
    After several comparisons between both systems (A7rII +35mm f1,4 vs S2 + 45mm S) I couldn't believe how bad the Sony was on borders and corners.
    This is the problem with Steve Huff style enthusiasm. Sane responsible people who care are mislead by the hype. I'm afraid some otherwise very nice people here are doing the same thing. They get so excited. You say anything and you are a Sony Basher. Of course there are real Sony bashers, Leica bashers.

I like excellence. I get excited about it. Then they can me a fan-boy I don't like cynical decisions which are half covered by "open mount" marketing. I get mad about it. Then I'm a basher.

Just can't win politically, but as a result of my own explorations I have two fantastic camera bodies and some nice lenses.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the same exact experience with the 35 1.4 anGy...I bought it for a lot of money here, and was happy with the overall character of the lens, but shocked by how uneven it was. I thought it was just my copy, so I returned it. The more I read about it, the more I saw that it seems to be a very common issue. In any case, I replaced it with the 35 2.8 FE and have found that to be very sharp across the frame. Obviously it would have been nice to have the speed, but the speed is no good if the edges are unusable (I was mostly using 1.4 for night exposures of landscapes, and in that use, its performance was not acceptable. Now I have no real alternative other than the 55mm. The 35 2.8 is great in daylight, and a much more manageable size and cost.) In any case, I hope they can sort out the QC issue on the 35/1.4, as it was excellent on center and had a lovely character.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Well - S vs A7 is kind of an unfair comparison IMO.

I am sure the SL will be better with legancy lenses, but then Jono sounds the M will still be better than the SL for wide angle M-glass.
    Plus you get a nice optical rangefinder with 100 stops of DR and resolution as high as your eyes would work.

Personally I wonder how good/fast the SL works with S-lenses.
    I evaluate the SL as a second S body for high ISO.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I had the same exact experience with the 35 1.4 anGy...I bought it for a lot of money here, and was happy with the overall character of the lens, but shocked by how uneven it was. I thought it was just my copy, so I returned it. The more I read about it, the more I saw that it seems to be a very common issue. In any case, I replaced it with the 35 2.8 FE and have found that to be very sharp across the frame. Obviously it would have been nice to have the speed, but the speed is no good if the edges are unusable (I was mostly using 1.4 for night exposures of landscapes, and in that use, its performance was not acceptable. Now I have no real alternative other than the 55mm. The 35 2.8 is great in daylight, and a much more manageable size and cost.) In any case, I hope they can sort out the QC issue on the 35/1.4, as it was excellent on center and had a lovely character.

I must have a good copy. As my test shown here on the forum . Mine is very slight in the upper left corner by 2.8 all corners are very good. Not sure you can ask much more for a 35 1.4 . My sigma art 35 1.4 got good at F 4 because of field curvature. But I'm thinking of selling mine , not because of this issue though. I want the money for other choices. Unofficially I'm listing it for sale.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

It cost me some money to sell the Sony system back only 2 weeks after its purchase but, at least, it helped me remember what level of IQ an S lens can offer (although even without direct comparison it was easy to see there was a problem in the corners with the FE 35mm f1,4).
    Now, wait just a minute. I read just a few posts ago about how the S is already so far behind the curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    I must have a good copy. As my test shown here on the forum . Mine is very slight in the upper left corner by 2.8 all corners are very good. Not sure you can ask much more for a 35 1.4 . My sigma art 35 1.4 got good at F 4 because of field curvature. But I'm thinking of selling mine , not because of this issue though. I want the money for other choices. Unofficially I'm listing it for sale.
    Mine was bad enough that it is visible in a web jpeg...the right corner was totally soft at the focused distance, but sharp in the foreground, the left upper corner was ok, but unsharp in the bottom...and sharpness ran in a diagonal plane through the image...all messed up. Even visible at 5.6 in certain images.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	35f1.4-problem-f1.4.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	453.8 KB 
ID:	113588

I guess you have to click twice to see a larger image...still much decreased from full resolution. In any case, this was aligned using a versalign parallel, so I was exactly square to the board. I tried it outside as well (where I originally noticed it). In any case, I am sure there are good copies out there!! Mine was not, and after hearing about a number of other people who also had problems, I felt it was probably better just to try another lens. I did that, and it has worked out well. As I said, I find the 35 2.8 FE very good!
    P.S., the color temperature difference across the frame is from the fact that the left board is lit at 4700K, and the right at 3500K...
    Oh, and it was super super sharp wide open on center!!!
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zony user View Post
    Simple fix.
    1. Get two A7Rii's for 80% the price of a SL.
    2. Kolari mod one and you get 42MP + IBIS for all your legacy glasses.
    3. For the unmodded A7Rii, get the awesome ZEISS glasses, like the Loxia 21mm and Batis 25mm. There will be VERY few legacy lenses that can match those two. Why even bother with the FE glass? (except for maybe the FE55)

And that's a great recipe for a poor user experience. Because last time I checked the Kolari mod doesn't redesign the camera nor does it change the user interface.

Life's short, I'd rather pay more and be happy with the Leica. Of course assuming the SL makes me happy. If it doesn't I'll continue to use the S-system and M-system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Cool Re: Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

So much written with so little actual experience in hand. So far, "it is behind the ball", "it is too expensive" and on and on. I think that Leica has a talented group of accountants who scrub the numbers and know at what price point the product has to sell and in what quantity in order to green light the project. A product manager has to justify that x units will sell to existing customers, x units will go to new customers, at least that is my understanding of how a business works.

I am a current customer, I use the M, S and up until a few weeks ago a X now replaced with the Q. The Q replaces my X and in many cases the M, the S although it has the best glass that I have shot with, is reserved for the tripod as I am not able to handhold it as well as I used to. Now along comes the SL, it takes M glass,T glass and most important to me S glass. It costs less that half of the new 007 so it intrigues me from the price point, it has high ISO capabilities that I have witnessed in the Q so good there as well. Some would say the Sony A7rII would be a better choice at half the cost, yes and no, yes it is true it is half the cost but it would also mean that I would have to buy into a whole new bunch of lenses. I could not use the S glass on it and from what I have seen, the glass that is offered for the Sony has far too many variances for my liking. All the posts that I have seen posted here and other forums from Sony glass show variations that are not acceptable from copy to copy. Some are great, I fall in love, then another image that shows a tack sharp center and way soft edges and I feel dejected.

The big question for me is how will the S adapter work, for that I will have to wait till Summer 2016 and only then will I part with my hard earned $$$. Will it shoot with the CS? Is it a deal breaker? ???

Technology continues to advance and has yet to fall backwards so I am sure that newer and better things will be out there tomorrow and the day after that. One has to stop and look at the tools out there and determine what is needed vs what is desired. When the digital DSLR was born, offered ISO 400 and you choose the color balance I was in heaven, no need to carry different bodies or unload the film mid roll. Every advance since then is just an added bonus to me, I built my skills around a finite platform and adapted solutions to the problem.

PS I still own my Nikon D1X and take it out occasionally, still love the images from it.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

The purpose was to sell my 45mm S lens to finance the Sony combo purchase. To me the S offers more advantages and character from 50mm and up than on the wide side, where lenses sort of just have to be sharp all the way (for landscape & architecture works).
    It also helped me remember that forum info must always be put into perspective against your own level of expectations...
    I sold the FE 35/1.4 in record time.. I bought it from my dealer who gets me things before the masses. I had it a week and sold it off during the hype.. I think Steve Huff is a bit of a nutter for liking that lens, but his site did help me sell it for no $$ loss. But that's the problem isn't it. A lot of HYPE with Sony because they know how to turn out products to keep review sites like Steve's alive. So of course everything is great. And thus you get blind followers.

NOT saying you can't create great images with ANY photography gear. I just don't think they have built a solid professional system. Though some pros use Sony, so what do I know?

And I haven't been a fan of Zeiss since the ZE lineup and that's because I liked a lot of CY/C645 lenses at the time.

So I guess like you, I look for different things then everyone else.

At the end of the day, I could put up with all the quirks if
    1) I liked the Sony sensors (colors and etc).
    2) They AFd more accurately and faster.
    3) The UI and button placement wasn't terrible

None of those above things have been fixed since the original A7. And I have had every model since (admittedly the later models only briefly).

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't see why some people are so negative about this camera, it is obviously a camera that aims to pros that already own Leica and even to some that are planning to enter Leica and it does provide a cheap alternative to Sinar users as to be used as an MFDB on one... It also provides a good back up to the "S" and a supplement to the "S-E"... It also provides an excellent video camera (even in combination with a Sinar) and for Leica users it doesn't require further investment on lenses...

Surely there will be some pros that will prefer to use a Sony A-7 with an Actus instead of MFDB (although they do need new lenses) and there will be other pros that choose different than Leica... (so they can't take full advantage of it)... but this doesn't change the fact that the SL is great for what it aims for... Surely a product must be judged on what it is designed to do... Not on to what someone would like to use it for...

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I dont see any sense to bash Sony A7 system to justify Leica SL.
    In my experience the 24-70/ 55FE/35FE/35 Loxia and 70-200 all work fine on the A7II.
    I am not totally satisfied with (skin) color though.

If a lens-like the 24-90/2.8-4.0, which is double size weight and price, delivers better iQ, it is not that surprising.

Even if the Leica SL system delivers better IQ, it is much larger than the Sony (and much more expensive).
    Size wise I would compare the SL more to D810 or Canon 5dxxx. Then we can discuss OVF vs EVF, and we can discuss how lenses compare, and how sensors compare.

I am pretty sure if price is not issue that IQ and shooting experience of the SL is great, and a very flexible body to use all kind of Leica lenses.
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    I sold the FE 35/1.4 in record time.. I bought it from my dealer who gets me things before the masses. I had it a week and sold it off during the hype.. I think Steve Huff is a bit of a nutter for liking that lens, but his site did help me sell it for no $$ loss. But that's the problem isn't it. A lot of HYPE with Sony because they know how to turn out products to keep review sites like Steve's alive. So of course everything is great. And thus you get blind followers.
    Well put, if a reviewer is dependent on vendors providing product and events at no cost then they are more reluctant to call the baby ugly. Jono does an honest review, he states his interest is first to Leica as a tester and that he will not flame them instead provide them (leica) feed back through a private channel. He avoids gushing reviews and avoids links to "buy it here" keeps it honest and believable. Knowing that he is not making money pushing the camera, I can filter the data with an open mind.
    Al Tanabe my website https://www.altanabe.com
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure I agree with these posts (other than that of Tom's).

I hope all the spirited support for SL helps shore up Leica camera sales. Their cameras aren't selling well (even Jono mentioned it). That has nothing to do with Sony's UI or lack of lenses.

All I know is that the Apo Summicron 75/2 works superbly on all my Sony cams.

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I dont see any sense to bash Sony A7 system to justify Leica SL.
    In my experience the 24-70/ 55FE/35FE/35 Loxia and 70-200 all work fine on the A7II.
    I am not totally satisfied with (skin) color though.

If a lens-like the 24-90/2.8-4.0, which is double size weight and price, delivers better iQ, it is not that surprising.

Even if the Leica SL system delivers better IQ, it is much larger than the Sony (and much more expensive).
    Size wise I would compare the SL more to D810 or Canon 5dxxx. Then we can discuss OVF vs EVF, and we can discuss how lenses compare, and how sensors compare.

I am pretty sure if price is not issue that IQ and shooting experience of the SL is great, and a very flexible body to use all kind of Leica lenses.
    Who bashed the Sony? I don't remember anyone doing that... All I remember is some people claiming the advantages Leica gives to them, some more that where explaining why the Sony was no competition for what they would be using the new camera for and some from the opposite side insisting that Leica has designed a Sony competitor for what Sony A7 does... To them, I remember replying that...

"if Leica wanted to compete with Sony, they could make a Q with interchangeable lens (that would surely cost less than the Q since there would be no lens involved)... obviously Leica targeted to what they think that their users would currently need... they can make an interchangeable lens Q whenever they like and wish"...

I suppose that none can argue with that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    Have you tried the summilux? I have both, and strangely, the Summilux performs better for me on the A7RII and A7S than does the Summicron...the summicron is better on the m9. I guess the summilux has a more retrofocal design? The difference is fairly clear in my setup. They are both very usable. The Summicron is sharper on center, but the summilux is better on the corners and edges. Of course, the Summilux has a lot of coma at 1.4, but stopped down a bit it is still very sharp.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried the summilux? I have both, and strangely, the Summilux performs better for me on the A7RII and A7S than does the Summicron...the summicron is better on the m9. I guess the summilux has a more retrofocal design? The difference is fairly clear in my setup. They are both very usable. The Summicron is sharper on center, but the summilux is better on the corners and edges. Of course, the Summilux has a lot of coma at 1.4, but stopped down a bit it is still very sharp.
    This is interesting. Charles K, who is pretty level headed, actually sold his 75 Lux because he did not like it on the A7r2. It had been fine for him on his previous Sony bodies. Now he likes the batis 85.

Makes you wonder if the copy variation is not limited to lenses but true of bodies as well.

I made a choice early on, January 14, I would follow the lenses I liked, not the bodies and what lenses they preferred. A7 went on the shelf for a time and I shot 90% on the M9. No regrets, then or now.

Adam is right, the Kolari mod gives you a good performing camera with the great film lenses. But the interface and files remain and must be endured. But you are there with 1100 bucks, for camera and mod (a7). If you did that with the r2 you'd be at 3600. Much less of a steal, though you do get lots of pixels

Post Thanks / Like

Sean Reid has just published his first review on side by side studio testing of the Leica SL and Leica M-240 using two fairly compact 35 mm rangefinder lenses: the Leica 35/2.0 M Summicron ASPH and the CV 35/2.5 Skopar.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by T.Dascalos View Post
    Who bashed the Sony? I don't remember anyone doing that... All I remember is some people claiming the advantages Leica gives to them, some more that where explaining why the Sony was no competition for what they would be using the new camera for and some from the opposite side insisting that Leica has designed a Sony competitor for what Sony A7 does... To them, I remember replying that...

"if Leica wanted to compete with Sony, they could make a Q with interchangeable lens (that would surely cost less than the Q since there would be no lens involved)... obviously Leica targeted to what they think that their users would currently need... they can make an interchangeable lens Q whenever they like and wish"...

I suppose that none can argue with that...
    Sorry, it just seemed to me that there was written more about the Sony 35/1.4, and how M lenses dont work all that well on the A7 than about the Leica SL.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Huff huffs and puffs with great enthusiasm, but his reviews are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you are tying to make informed decisions. He is a salesman, presumably earning his web income from affiliate sales (so everything has to be great) and advertising (everything being GREAT!!!!... generates traffic by those looking for someone to tell them its OK to spend their money). Its a fun place to hangout if you want to have fun playing with camera gear, but if your goal is to determine what's best for you to spend your money on, almost everywhere else is better.

Regarding the S vs A7 platform, its the one of the reasons why I invested in the 645Z. Getting great edge and corner performance out of the A7R is not hard with 50mm and longer lenses. 35mm is pretty good, but any wider and it gets much harder. That said, Zeiss is fixing that problem with their 21mm Loxia and 25mm Batis. The 645Z with 28-45mm is astounding and I have no doubt the S + Leica S wides is also a beautiful combination.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Stuart, The 75/2 is so much better on my Sony cams than it is on the MM. I use it for portraits and people shots (not restricted to center only focus, especially with live view and movable focus area, it is quite successful) and I do not see any issues.

I do not have the 75/1.4.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by turtle View Post
    Yes, Huff huffs and puffs with great enthusiasm, but his reviews are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard if you are tying to make informed decisions. He is a salesman, presumably earning his web income from affiliate sales (so everything has to be great) and advertising (everything being GREAT!!!!... generates traffic by those looking for someone to tell them its OK to spend their money). Its a fun place to hangout if you want to have fun playing with camera gear, but if your goal is to determine what's best for you to spend your money on, almost everywhere else is better.

Regarding the S vs A7 platform, its the one of the reasons why I invested in the 645Z. Getting great edge and corner performance out of the A7R is not hard with 50mm and longer lenses. 35mm is pretty good, but any wider and it gets much harder. That said, Zeiss is fixing that problem with their 21mm Loxia and 25mm Batis. The 645Z with 28-45mm is astounding and I have no doubt the S + Leica S wides is also a beautiful combination.
    Photography is a very personal endeavor and choosing a Camera and/or Lenses is a very personal choice. What is best for one is not best for another and any reviewer is therefore inherently biased. One needs to be very good at reading between the lines and knowing where the reviews are coming from. I do believe Steve Huff is being honest with his comments and reviews. Yes, he does push a lot of camera accessories (bags, grips etc) but that is mainly because he likes them for real.

His initial bashing of the SL specs were mainly due to the price and the lack of IBIS and to a lesser degree looks, but mainly because of price. Like I mentioned before I believe Leicas make sense when you hold them and use them not when you just look at their spec sheet. In that arena the Sony's win. Plus Leicas have never been high value items. It is certainly not their forté.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Not sure I agree with these posts (other than that of Tom's).

I hope all the spirited support for SL helps shore up Leica camera sales. Their cameras aren't selling well (even Jono mentioned it).
    Did I? I shouldn't have as I haven't a clue - they don't tell me figures. Hearsay tells me that the M, and especially the MM and Q all sell very well.

As for spirited support - I formalised my order for a camera and 24-90 today - can't say fairer than that.
    That has nothing to do with Sony's UI or lack of lenses.

Best lens - it's been my favorite for nearly 5 years now

Just this guy you know

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Did I? I shouldn't have as I haven't a clue - they don't tell me figures. Hearsay tells me that the M, and especially the MM and Q all sell very well.

As for spirited support - I formalised my order for a camera and 24-90 today - can't say fairer than that.

Thats quite a commitment. I have not yet made up my mind what I want/need/want.
    But I guess using the camera for some months is a better basis for making a decision vs just reading some reports, even if those are good reports.

Post Thanks / Like

Yay, two down..
    Also the 75APO is one of my favourite lenses as well!

Subscriber and Workshop Member MGrayson's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I got the A7II just to hold my 75 Cron. That it works with some other lenses is a bonus!

--Matt

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reasons perhaps?
    I had the SL for two separate periods of a month - the first time I had the 24-90, and the second time just the body (so I used it with my M and R lenses).

Most of the time I'm happy with manual focus, and my M240 is great . . . except if I want macro or telephoto.
    Sometimes I do want AF (nearly always with a zoom) . . my E-M5ii with the Olympus pro zooms is great . . . . . but not perfect in that it isn't full frame.

So I was considering a full frame dSLR . . . but it won't use M or R lenses
    . . and there are the Sony A7 series (great cameras) but they don't do well with M lenses (especially for landscapes)

The SL is great for macro / telephoto, fine with M or R lenses and the AF with the 24-90 zoom is good too.

So I guess it's a Jack of All trades . . . but sometimes that's the right answer . . especially when it's a master of some of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MGrayson View Post
    I got the A7II just to hold my 75 Cron. That it works with some other lenses is a bonus!

--Matt
    It's great on the SL too Matt

Just this guy you know
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is exactly the same as my experience. I was quite unhappy with the performance of my 75 Summicron on the A7rII, and much happier with that of the Summilux. In fact, I thought my Summicron must be faulty until I checked it again on the camera it was meant for , the M. Similarly, the 90 Elmarit M performs outstandingly on the Sony, whereas the 90 Macro-Elmar while good is not as outstanding on the Sony but much better on the M's than the Elmarit M. I'll have to re-evaluate all my lenses on the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/995...amera-review/2

Doesn't look so good in comparison to pretty much anything of this generation, especially at ISO 3200 & 6400. Surprised at how well the A7II did in comparison.

In answer to an earlier question someone asked, I was specifically told by the folks working the Leica booth that leaf shutter functionality from the CS S lenses will NOT be added to the SL via firmware.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    This is exactly the same as my experience. I was quite unhappy with the performance of my 75 Summicron on the A7rII, and much happier with that of the Summilux. In fact, I thought my Summicron must be faulty until I checked it again on the camera it was meant for , the M. Similarly, the 90 Elmarit M performs outstandingly on the Sony, whereas the 90 Macro-Elmar while good is not as outstanding on the Sony but much better on the M's than the Elmarit M. I'll have to re-evaluate all my lenses on the Sony.
    It is good to keep in mind that we are discussing about lenses that were made for film.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is good to keep in mind that we are discussing about lenses that were made for film.
    Yes we are, but once we have the evidence from shots on sensors, that becomes irrelevant. Look at the output, and judge on that basis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    Studio tests: Leica SL: Digital Photography Review

Doesn't look so good in comparison to pretty much anything of this generation, especially at ISO 3200 & 6400. Surprised at how well the A7II did in comparison.

In answer to an earlier question someone asked, I was specifically told by the folks working the Leica booth that leaf shutter functionality from the CS S lenses will NOT be added to the SL via firmware.
    Right, the reviews from dpreviw do not look too exciting. I myself downloaded lot of the RAW studio samples, imported in LR and compared to other cameras and I was not amused. Definitely all the other 24MP cameras hold pretty nicely up to the SL, sometimes look even sharper. If this is a result of the different sensors or also a negative impact coming from the 24-90 zoom I cannot say.

Once comparing to samples from D810, 5DSR or A7RII, the differences become of course even more obvious, as with their higher resolution sensors these cameras offer much more detail - at least in lower ISO ranges. The optimum IQ seems to come from the A7RII, followed by the D810 (although they are pretty much on par) and then the 5DSR.

If looking at the dpreview real world SL samples (also downloaded RAWs and imported in LR) most of the samples look definitely impressive IMHO, maybe resulting from the fact that there is no direct comparison possible. So overall my conclusion from that is, the SL seems to be a pretty capable camera, but definitely not better than most of the competition and definitely with disadvantages in overall resolution compared to the higher MP-models, but with a much higher price than all the others - well no wonder about that, as it is a Leica and also should have the overall qualities to justify that higher price.

What remains then is the fact that the SL seems to be a great tool for using M, R and S glass and I have no doubts with the availability of native SL lenses, especially primes, it will excel. But these SL lenses are more than 1 year out, so if there is no immediate need to bring the other M, R, S glass to life, then the steep price of the SL seems to be hard to justify - at least for me and at least for now.

But the overall move of Leica to develop such a FF mirrorless camera is definitely a bold move and sure enough this is a great camera, if one can make the right use of it (see my concerns above). And hopefully this will finally wake up the CaNikon's1

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Speedgraphic View Post
    http://www.dpreview.com/articles/995...amera-review/2

Actually, I thought that in that particular group of products the SL came out looking very good. I was looking at RAW output only, as the jpegs are uninteresting to me and I would never use them.

The Leica Q output looked essentially the same as that of the SL (surprise, surprise!) while the Nikon 750 output also looked the same overall and in some cases minutely better and the A7II output looked definitely worse in this comparison. A very good showing by the SL in this test.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by henningw View Post
    Yes we are, but once we have the evidence from shots on sensors, that becomes irrelevant. Look at the output, and judge on that basis.
    Fair enough. But, do keep in mind that it is easy and cost effective to change the sensor glass thickness in a Sony cam. The old M lenses are not exactly designed for the modern digital M cams (Jono gives a percent fit for some of these lenses on M, stock A7II and the SL- there is no 100% satisfaction on any!). That is what I was alluding to.