The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

M

mjr

Stuart, the 007 is pretty cool for video, the 4k recorded internally is amazing but I have not used it in anger yet. I have a job in 2 weeks that will involve recording an interview and I will use the S for that but only in HD, small things annoy me like the lemo audio adapter not being available yet so I am picking up an external sound recorder, it has taken me 2 weeks to get them to send me a spare battery and the ac adapter is also not available at the moment, things like that cripple what should be a very capable system. I am only using the 007 for video in corporate situations like interviews and things, not making a movie with it but the few tests I did with 4k shot through the 180mm looked absolutely beautiful. I have no experience with Sony for video.

Mat

aDam007

You and me both, sir. I mostly use the Sonys for video though, and I think it is probably a bit too much to hope that whatever Leica produces will be able to match them on that front. Nothing they have released so far seems to do video that can keep up with Sony, Panasonic or Canon, so it seems like Sony will still have a role in workflows that include video...Still holding out hope for the 007 on that regard, but getting any information at all from anyone about its video capabilities is basically like pulling teeth...I had some questions that even Leica customer service in Germany could not answer at the time.
In any case, I am curious to see what they come up with and optimistic that it will be good!
What did you want to know about the video?

Rolling shutter/jello is the worst I've seen in a DSLR. If that matters to you.

Would be AMAZING for interviews though.

BJNY

aDam007,

I may have to do a series of interviews / talking heads.

Would you have any frame grabs from 30x45 1080p video to post?

Billy

Stuart Richardson

Rolling shutter does not matter to me. I am mostly interested in static shots with very high image quality for use in art installations. I wanted to know what happened if you plugged in an external recorder like the Pix-e 5h into the HDMI port. The manual says that 4k is only recordable on SD cards, and David Farkas seemed to indicate that it could not output 4k over HDMI, but at the same time they say it can output 4:2:2 video over HDMI. So is it only 1080p? And what happens if you are using the monitor while recording 4k...what does it output? If it does not output 4k, can I record 4:2:2 1080p to the external recorder at the same time it is recording 4k to the SD card, or does it just not work at all?

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, but indicating that Leica still seems like video is somewhat of an afterthought for them. If it is, that is still totally fine, it just means that other cameras might still be necessary to deploy, if that is a concern.

aDam007

Rolling shutter does not matter to me. I am mostly interested in static shots with very high image quality for use in art installations. I wanted to know what happened if you plugged in an external recorder like the Pix-e 5h into the HDMI port. The manual says that 4k is only recordable on SD cards, and David Farkas seemed to indicate that it could not output 4k over HDMI, but at the same time they say it can output 4:2:2 video over HDMI. So is it only 1080p? And what happens if you are using the monitor while recording 4k...what does it output? If it does not output 4k, can I record 4:2:2 1080p to the external recorder at the same time it is recording 4k to the SD card, or does it just not work at all?

Anyway, not trying to hijack the thread, but indicating that Leica still seems like video is somewhat of an afterthought for them. If it is, that is still totally fine, it just means that other cameras might still be necessary to deploy, if that is a concern.

Yes, it's still very much an afterthought. I'll send a PM to not hijack the thread.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Latest Update on the release from MirrorlessRumors

Here are the full Leica SL specs! - mirrorlessrumors

Leica SL Typ601 camera:
– Sensor 24MP CMOS
– Full autofocus support
– 4K Video

New SL lenses:
– Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 1: 2.8-4 / 24-90 mm ASPH.
– Leica Apo-Vario-Elmarit-SL 1: 2.8-4 / 90-280 mm
– Leica Summilux-SL 1: 1.4 / 50 mm ASPH.
– Summilux-TL 35mm ASPH.
– Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm ASPH

Especially the Summilux 50 and 35 as well as the Macro Elmarit got my attention. The 2.8/60 was my favorite Leical lens back in my Leicaflex and Leica R days :)

Well, you never should say never again!

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Interestingly enough, a few minutes after my prior post, MirrorleeRumors removed the 35 and 60 lenses :(

Leica SL Typ601 camera:
– Sensor 24MP CMOS
– Full autofocus support
– 4K Video

New SL lenses:

Godfrey

It's best to me to just sit tight and wait to see what Leica actually announces at this point. It should be only another week ... :)

G

scott kirkpatrick

Somebody has rumored a sensor based AF
AF by contrast detection in mirrorless cameras is "sensor-based," it's a consequence of live view. The Olympus M-1 goes one step further, using a fraction of its pixel positions for phase-detection AF, which is needed for older lenses and is in principle, faster. But I can't see why Leica would want to do that, having never produced such lenses for small cameras.

scott

peterv

Trusted source on the German LUF says not to read anything special in to the 'full AF support'. It's just a translation-thing, i.e. the camera is AF, nothing more or less.

KeithL

Trusted source on the German LUF says not to read anything special in to the 'full AF support'. It's just a translation-thing, i.e. the camera is AF, nothing more or less.
Many thanks, that would make sense.

JorisV

Interestingly enough, a few minutes after my prior post, MirrorleeRumors removed the 35 and 60 lenses :(

Leica SL Typ601 camera:
– Sensor 24MP CMOS
– Full autofocus support
– 4K Video

New SL lenses:
The 35 and 60 lenses had TL in their name which perhaps means that they could be Leica T lenses...

The current Leica T lenses have T in their name though, not TL...

Paratom

The 35 and 60 lenses had TL in their name which perhaps means that they could be Leica T lenses...

The current Leica T lenses have T in their name though, not TL...
35 and 60 on dx would make sense for the T: I portrait focal length 90 equivalent and a standard 50 equivalent.