The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

JorisV

35 and 60 on dx would make sense for the T: I portrait focal length 90 equivalent and a standard 50 equivalent.
From La Vida Leica!:

There will be two additional lenses coming as well - with a TL mount - which are T mount lenses that can be used on both Leica T and Leica SL. We know the lenses will have electronic connections, as the T does. What will be interesting is how the crop is handled because of the differing image circles.

Summilux-TL 35mm ASPH
Macro-Elmarit-TL 60mm ASPH

aDam007

Well considering Leica just bought out a company known to make 4x5 cameras. And the world doesn't have a 4x5 digital camera (aside from that one fellow who had one custom made a while back). Could that have something to do with the announcement? Would make sense given that view cameras are backwards. And they didn't change... Well until October 20th :D when they become digital and LV enabled.

That would be kinda awesome sauce for landscape and studio shooters. Though I highly doubt it because of the whole 24mp sensor.

Chances are with 24mp, it's FF135 and it's not going to change anything :( Because unless Germans don't know what Sony is.. It has already been done.

Even the move the film AF has already been done.

I don't think just because Sony has the A7rII(or whatever the 42mp one is called... Sorry, I get really confused with the Sony and Olympus name designations!) that it negates the value of a similar camera from Leica. Ive got a MFDB system that I love and I would love a 24mp Leica system that's basically a mini S camera or beefed up Q. My hope is that it has the video qualities of the GH4 in a full frame sensor, plus IBIS and the still photo quality of Leica, with a modern af system and a beautiful EVF. If they can make adapters to use full functioning Nikon and canon glass, like they did for the S and Hassy/Contax lenses that would be amazing. It would definitely help more people transition to it and slowly build up some Leica lenses. As opposed to having to spend a ton of money for a new camera and full lens lineup. But it is a Leica, so it will not be cheap. The images that I've seen from the Q have had the most depth of any digital 35mm that I've seen. Granted this is just online images, so I need to test one in person. But if I'm hopeful that this new camera will be the perfect one, for me, right in between a micro 4/3 and MFDB. I just haven't been totally happy with the canikons for a while. Not that they aren't great cameras, they are. So is the Sony A7rII and the fact that they came through with uncompressed raw is great. And as always, they are the tools we use to make great pictures, not the reason we make them. It's just like a painter preferring different brushes or paint. We are lucky there are so many great options out there for us to choose and the technology is so advanced. It's really like choosing which roll of film is right for you back in the "old" days. Fuji, Kodak, velvia, provia... Except those only cost a few dollars a roll.

Please excuse typos and incomplete thoughts. Typed on my iPhone on a train...

algrove

Josh

Painters seldom talk abouit their tools such as paints and brushes, they just get on with creating art. Gear always seems to be our fall back position and our nemisis.

Bernard

Josh

Painters seldom talk about their tools such as paints and brushes, they just get on with creating art. Gear always seems to be our fall back position and our nemesis.
The original quote was "When critics get together, they talk about art. When artists get together, they talk about brushes."

That's the way I remember hearing it in the 1980s (and it wasn't new then). It's mostly proven true over the years.

Paratom

The mirror-image let me dream for a moment that the camera has a mirror and an OVF (A mini-S) but I am sure it wont. I still have not fully adpopted to EVF.(without any intention to discuss advantages and disadvantages)

Last edited:
M

mjr

I have to agree, a decent OVF, tough build quality in a mini S would be excellent, I am yet to use a mirrorless camera that I like although not tried the very latest Sony's.

It's all guessing until they announce, very unlikely it will be for me but interesting to see how things are progressing, I'm sure it will polarise opinion as normal!

Mat

k-hawinkler

I have shot with EVFs so much that a typical OVF just doesn't cut it anymore.
I rely on the info readily available in an EVF.
Optimal would be to combine those two VFs into a single one without lesser availability of information.

M

mjr

Well I think we can all be happy that there are options regardless of your preference, long may it continue!

aDam007

I don't think just because Sony has the A7rII(or whatever the 42mp one is called... Sorry, I get really confused with the Sony and Olympus name designations!) that it negates the value of a similar camera from Leica. Ive got a MFDB system that I love and I would love a 24mp Leica system that's basically a mini S camera or beefed up Q. My hope is that it has the video qualities of the GH4 in a full frame sensor, plus IBIS and the still photo quality of Leica, with a modern af system and a beautiful EVF. If they can make adapters to use full functioning Nikon and canon glass, like they did for the S and Hassy/Contax lenses that would be amazing. It would definitely help more people transition to it and slowly build up some Leica lenses. As opposed to having to spend a ton of money for a new camera and full lens lineup. But it is a Leica, so it will not be cheap. The images that I've seen from the Q have had the most depth of any digital 35mm that I've seen. Granted this is just online images, so I need to test one in person. But if I'm hopeful that this new camera will be the perfect one, for me, right in between a micro 4/3 and MFDB. I just haven't been totally happy with the canikons for a while. Not that they aren't great cameras, they are. So is the Sony A7rII and the fact that they came through with uncompressed raw is great. And as always, they are the tools we use to make great pictures, not the reason we make them. It's just like a painter preferring different brushes or paint. We are lucky there are so many great options out there for us to choose and the technology is so advanced. It's really like choosing which roll of film is right for you back in the "old" days. Fuji, Kodak, velvia, provia... Except those only cost a few dollars a roll.

Please excuse typos and incomplete thoughts. Typed on my iPhone on a train...

I think you missed my point.

My point was.. Leica's recent few teasers have all been very boastful. Like they're bringing out something revolutionary. But all the rumours point to a mirrorless full frame camera (and that has already been done by Sony). Nothing revolutionary about it. I'm hoping they've got something up their sleeve... But I have a feeling not.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think you missed my point.

My point was.. Leica's recent few teasers have all been very boastful. Like they're bringing out something revolutionary. But all the rumours point to a mirrorless full frame camera (and that has already been done by Sony). Nothing revolutionary about it. I'm hoping they've got something up their sleeve... But I have a feeling not.
Come on, a mirrorless FF Leica Camera, this is already revolutionary given their history ;)

I agree something nice and even more revolutionary would be great to see!

Paratom

I have shot with EVFs so much that a typical OVF just doesn't cut it anymore.
I rely on the info readily available in an EVF.
Optimal would be to combine those two VFs into a single one without lesser availability of information.
And for me, even though I own and use cameras with EVF I just still feel disconnected.
So I guess there are still both groups, one which prefers EVF and others who do appreciate OVF.

Come on, a mirrorless FF Leica Camera, this is already revolutionary given their history ;)

I agree something nice and even more revolutionary would be great to see!
Agree on both these points.
A mirrorless version of the S with a medium format sensor would be revolutionary, but I doubt we will see that - a shame, given I'd likely want to be first in the queue for such a product.

aDam007

Agree on both these points.
A mirrorless version of the S with a medium format sensor would be revolutionary, but I doubt we will see that - a shame, given I'd likely want to be first in the queue for such a product.
At the rumoured $6,500 body price tag. A mirrorless S-sensor wouldn't happen.
IF it did. I'd get three.

Stuart Richardson

Comparing the S to the A7Rii, I would say the fact that it has a mirror and OVF is among the best features. As far as EVF's have come, they still pale in comparison for showing you a clear, accurate view of the scene. I was shooting the A7rii last week in a situation where the EVF's ability to show contrast, color and saturation was woefully inadequate...everything looked washed out, despite the photo being fine. The EVF's are interesting for their ability to see into the dark, but they still cannot replicate the clarity of a regular OVF in daylight, especially one as good as the one in the S. In any case, if Leica does go the EVF route for the new camera, I would not see it as a replacement for the S or M. My hope is that they continue to develop a hybrid solution like the X100, something which offers the best of both worlds....

Either way, still looking forward to the release of whatever this is!

algrove

Come on guys. If rumors are to be somewhat on point:
24MP FF Q-like sensor
better Q-like ISO
some AF system
etc.

The current S007 sells for $16k-body only and it took Leica until September to bring it to market after announcing it nearly a year before. Do you really think it will be another S any thing announced on the 20th? Leica's trouble is that they are stuck in a rut with 37.5MP being their top end MP camera so all others by deifnition must have less MP than the current S model. This leaves them only being able to work on higher ISO, AF PDAF sensors in the 24MP range while other manufacturers improve on all aspects of their sensors including MP.

Is their something in the S lineup that is keeping Leica stuck at 37.5MP? Maybe, but what?

M

mjr

Your posts always make me laugh Algrove, it's like you are personally offended by S users!

If mp's are your focus then there are loads of options, like you have taken, the Z is one, I for one prefer quality over quantity, uniformity of lenses, not just a few which are good and some old ones that are great stopped down. It's not personal, people can chose Leica if they want, same as they can chose Sony, Pentax, Hasselblad, Phase One, Nikon, Canon or any of the other myriad of manufacturers providing equipment to people who love using it!

I have sold many photographs printed 1.5m wide from a single S frame cropped to 2:1, mp's aren't everything in fact for some of us enough is enough and all the other factors to owning and using a camera are more important.

Have a nice evening!

Mat