The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

$12,400 with the 24-90mm lens. The only thing that exceeded my expectations is the price. Complete madness.

Oh and that zoom. It's bigger than a house!

M

mjr

Adapter for S lenses is interesting, twin sd cards is interesting, it's possible it could be a reasonable backup camera to stick on existing lenses. Decent battery life as well, these are quite key things but I'm not likely to buy it as I have what I want.

It looks a decent package of features and capabilities though.

Mat

Stuart Richardson

10 bit 4:2:2 video out via HDMI at up to ISO 50,000 is also interesting...in my experience Leica is much more conservative about their ISO than Sony, so it could be pretty usable at that max ISO. It's also Cinema 4k versus UHD...I guess they are probably using the Super 35mm crop like in the A7RII, but perhaps full frame? If so, it could be more interesting. Around 7000-8000 US or so is pretty steep though, it must be said! You can just take your pick of used S bodies for less than that these days.

iiiNelson

Seems like a great camera that many won't be able to afford which is something of a shame on some level.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
If it was 42mpx or even 36 it would make more sense to me but it's way out of my budget range and terrible ROI for me. Not even on a good day could I justify it but I wish those that can, happy shooting.

JorisV

I am not sure whether I am interested in a zoom lens that weighs more than 1 KG...

Also the camera body is not exactly light...

I believe I will stick with the S2, M9, Q and T for the time being...

Bold move from Leica but also given the price I don't see it being very successful straight away, perhaps once more primes become available....

A killer 35mm or 50mm could make me re-evaluate everything though...

V

Vivek

Cheapest accessory - LCD protector -$25.

Body cap $48.

Battery $250.

Pass.

I still have my SL2 and the battery has not been replaced in years. still going strong. :)

T.Dascalos

Not Available
The S adapter is more important than it looks at first site... It means that the Sinar entrance to the mini view camera market (like the Actus) will be fully electronic having this as an MFDB and S series lenses... It also means that Hasselblad H & Contax 645 lenses will be fully compatible... It may also mean that a future model that will be able to export RAW video will be able to serve as an excellent cinema camera (in combination with a Sinar view camera or without one) able to compete with RED & Arri....

UHDR

For me, its the EVF and s-adaptor that attract me. Because now i know someone like fringer will make a S-FE adaptor, may even allow for leaf shutter....

Edit: So....heres an idea..... S glass vs otus......

For me, its the EVF and s-adaptor that attract me. Because now i know someone like fringer will make a S-FE adaptor, may even allow for leaf shutter....

Edit: So....heres an idea..... S glass vs otus......
It will be hard to compare because of the format and speed change. A more apt comparison would be the 50/1.4 Leica for this camera vs the Otus. Of course the 50 is still forthcoming apparently.

Lars

Viewfinder resolution... Leica claims "SXAG, 4.4 MP".

That's of course up to interpretation. My guess is that's a typo, should be SXGA. Today's convention is to actually count number of dots, so that would be 4.4 million dots. What's called SXGA+ is 1400x1050 or 4.41 million dots, so that would be my guess.

So it's still far from FHD which I would consider a minimum to match a good optical viewfinder.