The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Agree I like a lot of MPX because I do go big. Just shot for a client that went 8 foot by 21 feet. Bad part was I could not stitch because of movement in the scene. The EVF looks to be the most promising feature on this. Anyway you should try it. im trying to understand that native lens it's a truck. I'm sure it's good though

Guy Mancuso

I don't get the "this is expensive" argument. For a professional photographer who buys this camera and throws it into the dustbin after 150,000 exposures, the cost would be $0.05 per click. A typical event would for me equal a maximum of 2,000 clicks, which would then sum up to a camera cost of $100. Lens cost would be much lower, but let's say that other "hardware" costs are $100 too, and we are up to the grand sum of $200. If my income from photography can't cover that level of cost, I should look for other work (which I have, so I'm not a full time photographer anymore). For smaller jobs that require fewer exposure, portraiture for example, the mathematics look even more favourable.

Backup is of course an issue, but if this proves to be a reliable camera, a Leica T would be a great backup, although a separate WA lens would be needed to compensate for the crop factor.

Some claim that 24MP isn't sufficient, and that's fair enough, but I also think it's fair to say that users of the most common DSLR brand in the world, the one called Canon, haven't had access even to 24MP until very recently. Still, several of them have been able to make a living from their somewhat inferior cameras ;)

So do you have 20 thousand to put out for it. I don't and I'm not hedging the farm over it. Sure I will get my return on it but all along its eating profit at the same time. No client I know would know the difference if I used this or not. Sure Leica is a badge of honor for some for me it's about making money. This system would not increase revenue for 1 second. Thanks but not in my wheel house.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
I understand that Leica feels the need to serve their own niche, but it seems they have no clear vision of what they want to accomplish. I mean they're all over the place with the S lenses, M lenses, Cine lenses, R lenses, T lenses, and now the SL lenses. Even the "Big 3" (Canon, Nikon, Sony) only have 2-3 lens systems. And these companies are at least 10 times the size of Leica. So what on earth are they thinking making yet another niche product and accompanying lens system? Why not an ILC version of the Leica Q that will reach a broader fanbase?
For their own cameras, they make lenses for 3 different mounts, M, S and T/SL. Cine (PL) lenses are for cine cameras that Leica don't make themselves, and R lenses went out of production some 10 years ago. Most camera manufacturers make more than one mount. Pentax makes 3, Canon 2 and a half, Sony and Nikon 2 each.

JorisV

Presumably you are referring to me as well, but I have been a Leica shooter long before I was a Sony shooter, and I haven't completely converted.
I used to shoot with a M8/M8.2/M9/M240 and recently switched to the A7 series, but I still have my M lenses and a Leica Q.

This product pisses me off because it wasn't a ILC version of the Leica Q like it was hyped to be. That is what I wanted. Nothing more nothing less
I was actually mostly referring to the thread on the Sony Rumors website with 450+ comments already...

I believe this is a very interesting an sensible move from Leica and I am still trying to determine whether it makes sense for me personally...

That being said, even if it turns out it doesn’t, I won’t go round thrashing and destroying the camera just because it doesn’t fit my personal needs and expectations... I own a Q as well, it is a marvelous camera and I would also like to see Leica exploring this idea further with more focal lengths or with an ILC version, I don’t believe that is excluded yet... That being said, good FF AF lenses tend to be big and huge (as proven by both Zeiss and Sony now) and a Q-style body IMO wouldn’t cut it, just like IMO an A7 body looks ridiculously unbalanced with large lenses...

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
So do you have 20 thousand to put out for it. I don't and I'm not hedging the farm over it. Sure I will get my return on it but all along its eating profit at the same time. No client I know would know the difference if I used this or not. Sure Leica is a badge of honor for some for me it's about making money. This system would not increase revenue for 1 second. Thanks but not in my wheel house.
No, I don't, so I cannot buy it, but it wouldn't be 20,000, but 12,000. All my manual focus F-mount lenses can be used with an adapter, so as an initial investment, I would only need the camera body and the zoom, and even the zoom lens could wait for a while. Then I'm down to 7,500 plus adapter, which would be possible. Not many years ago, that was what people paid for Canon's and Nikon's top models, and since they came from film, they claimed it was cheap. And it was.

I don't get the "this is expensive" argument. For a professional photographer who buys this camera and throws it into the dustbin after 150,000 exposures, the cost would be $0.05 per click. A typical event would for me equal a maximum of 2,000 clicks, which would then sum up to a camera cost of $100. Lens cost would be much lower, but let's say that other "hardware" costs are $100 too, and we are up to the grand sum of $200. If my income from photography can't cover that level of cost, I should look for other work (which I have, so I'm not a full time photographer anymore). For smaller jobs that require fewer exposure, portraiture for example, the mathematics look even more favourable.

Backup is of course an issue, but if this proves to be a reliable camera, a Leica T would be a great backup, although a separate WA lens would be needed to compensate for the crop factor.

Some claim that 24MP isn't sufficient, and that's fair enough, but I also think it's fair to say that users of the most common DSLR brand in the world, the one called Canon, haven't had access even to 24MP until very recently. Still, several of them have been able to make a living from their somewhat inferior cameras ;)
This cash flow analysis is totally wrong and I'm not even an accountant.

Guy Mancuso

That's just a body and 1 lens. That's not really a system. I don't need to tell you our real needs here it's several lenses, accessories and all that. I don't want two different systems if I can help it. I had 3 it drove me wild when I got to two I thought what's the point. lol

D&A

Technically it's a new lens system but in a common mount similar to how the E mount and FE mount are different systems but use a common mount. Maybe a branding strategy of naming the SL the "FT" (for FF T mount) or "TL" (for T mount Large) would make more sense from a system standpoint to many. I think SL (or S light as Jono mentioned) makes sense from a marketing/pricing standpoint in that this is a legitimate S system backup and a completely credible R solution (FINALLY) for R users.

As an M backup body I still think that a Leica Q that could mount lenses would make a great future Leica ML. People still want a camera like that as well.
Thats what I think is coming down the pike next. A Q type body with interchangable lenses who's native mount is the Leica M mount. It will incorporate a state of the art EVF or maybe a hybrid OVF/EVF and I suppose either a line of AF M mount lenses or possibly AF assist light in viewfinder. Whether the body will be considered as part of the M line or not, hard to say as crystal ball just went cloudy (running out to get more Windex as we speak :)).

Dave (D&A)

Zony user

Based on the responses here from those that want to get this camera, they would care less if Leica has too many systems or whether they should cater to a broader audience. Leica produces what they want (and Leica knows this by asking some of the photographers in this niche), and that is the end of story. I think if Leica is more aware of pricing their product, they would be able to come up with a more sensible product line. As it stands right now, high price = niche = out-of-touch product (only to the bigger market).

Well that is disappointing and exactly the reason why I am gradually fading away from Leica. It's hard following a company that has no clear vision and questionable motives. For all I know this new SL system could disappear in 3-4years.

biglouis

Well that is disappointing and exactly the reason why I am gradually fading away from Leica. It's hard following a company that has no clear vision and questionable motives. For all I know this new SL system could disappear in 3-4years.
To be fair to Leica it is worth recognising that obsolescence in a technical sense is unavoidable for any digital camera system. So, in 3-4 years this system could fade away, although I doubt it for much the same reason the S system has not faded away despite a slow start.

Maybe Leica is in it for the long term and by that I mean long production runs?

Actually, I may owe the forum an apology for my diatribe above.

I must say overnight my confusion about this product has changed. Firstly, I confused wedding photographers with the zenith of professional photography. Actually, no offence, it is the bread and butter of the photography industry. I was sort-of reacting to the fact that I know a few wedding pros and I don't think they will trade in their bog-standard systems for this. And rightly so.

But as several posters have pointed out (and a good friend Rolo who is currently soaking up the sun on the Med also pointed out) assignment photographers can often justify a camera for a single piece of work and in any case will depreciate the investment to zero in 3 years.

I must admit that I was initially attracted to the camera for what may seem a rather trivial reason. 24-90 covers pretty much what I shoot. Then I saw the cost. Then I saw the size. Then I saw the claims about it being a professional camera and I thought it risible to think of bread and butter shooters paying for this camera.

Systems are a very personal thing and it depends on what you shoot. To cover what I shoot at present I have near enough the cost of the SL+24-90 in various bodies and lenses. The appeal that is growing on me is one body and one lens (and keeping my GR and DP2M for walkabout photography). I have no interest in video and I would like to spend more time with my camera on a tripod.

So, thinking about it again, I definitely want to see one and get an idea for its weight and functionality. It may still be too expensive and too heavy but I am beginning to see that there is lot more thought in this product (just like the Q) than might at first meet the eye.

Just another two cents.

LouisB

bipbip

... the Sony won't do 11fps even if you feed it with grain fed beef and Baron Philippe de Rothschild Mouton Cadet at every meal.

Did I mention the tiny batteries of the Sony?
Wrong diet Jorgen.
My a6000 does 11fps on Beluga Caviar and Veuve Cliquot!
Its tiny batteries make it very pocketable ... :grin:

Are you out of your mind? We do not throw our cameras in the dustbin after 150k shots, we shoot them until they shutter must be replaced, and then keep shooting them. Many of my peers have not seen cause to dump the D3S. And then you have to put this abomination in the context of ROI. There is nothing the SL can do that a D810 isn't doing better for a working photographer (i'll leave video out). For the cost of one SL you get 2 bodies. For the cost of one variable aperture lens you get 2 pro zooms or primes. I may be able to afford the SL but it would be completely absurd! I'd be throwing money down the toilet and putting my clients at risk because I chose to work with an unproven system! Considering I've shot every format from 35mm to 8x10 & MFD backs I know what to expect from various cameras, and there is 0 chance that there will be enough mojo in the SL to differentiate it seriously from a Nikon and a good lens. As for back up, if I pulled out a Leica T after my SL went down I'd be thrown out of the studio! "Oh hey guys, my pro system is busted but this polished hunk of aluminum with a touch screen will be completely fine".

There seems to be confusion over the point that pro photographers can afford any piece of gear because we're all making money hand over foot and a tax break gives us all our investment back. Countless studios have closed over the last decade, photo journalist staffs have been fired en masse from major news institutions, and amateurs have flooded the market sweeping up all low end work or making it simply non-viable. This is a business. There is no ROI for this 1%er braggart machine. Leica makes some wonderful cameras, they really do, but lets not pretend that they're serving the industry. There is nothing wrong with that, but don't kid yourself.

Last edited:

iiiNelson

To be fair to Leica it is worth recognising that obsolescence in a technical sense is unavoidable for any digital camera system. So, in 3-4 years this system could fade away, although I doubt it for much the same reason the S system has not faded away despite a slow start.

I must say overnight my confusion about this product has changed. Firstly, I confused wedding photographers with the zenith of professional photography. Actually, no offence, it is the bread and butter of the photography industry. I was sort-of reacting to the fact that I know a few wedding pros and I don't think they will trade in their bog-standard systems for this. And rightly so.

But as several posters have pointed out (and a good friend Rolo who is currently soaking up the sun on the Med also pointed out) assignment photographers can often justify a camera for a single piece of work and in any case will depreciate the investment to zero in 3 years.

I must admit that I was initially attracted to the camera for what may seem a rather trivial reason. 24-90 covers pretty much what I shoot. Then I saw the cost. Then I saw the size. Then I saw the claims about it being a professional camera and I thought it risible to think of bread and butter shooters paying for this camera.

Systems are a very personal thing and it depends on what you shoot. To cover what I shoot at present I have near enough the cost of the SL+24-90 in various bodies and lenses. The appeal that is growing on me is one body and one lens (and keeping my GR and DP2M for walkabout photography). I have no interest in video and I would like to spend more time with my camera on a tripod.

So, thinking about it again, I definitely want to see one and get an idea for its weight and functionality. It may still be too expensive and too heavy but I am beginning to see that there is lot more thought in this product (just like the Q) than might at first meet the eye.

Just another two cents.

LouisB
I came to a similar conclusion that this would've been the ideal travel camera system for me a few years ago when I traveled much more than I do now for work. The 24-280 range would cover nearly everything I wanted to do and I had more invested in my M kit than what this costs. That being saidI would still want 2 bodies and lots of batteries so maybe when I hit the lottery after I start playing the lottery I'll buy one for that purpose.

Zony user

Wrong diet Jorgen.
My a6000 does 11fps on Beluga Caviar and Veuve Cliquot!
Its tiny batteries make it very pocketable ... :grin:
Yeah and it's worth noting that the SL only does 11fps with fixed AF and AEL (worthless) With continuous AF active you only get 7fps. So there's quite a gap between this camera and Canikon which does 11-12fps effortlessly. That's what the proven hybrid PDAF systems provide.

Just another two cents.

LouisB
Weddings may as well be the zenith if you're positioned right. Ad budgets are pretty sparse. I work in NYC and though I do know a few people who own a Leica for personal work nobody shoots professionally with them as their main system camera. Once this system grows there is definitely something interesting here but they should have waited a year until they had their primes done. Also if they wanted to attract the pro market it would be $5000 with a lens. The price indicates to me this is for wealthy weekend warriors or just bored wealthy people. If you are a commercial pro and you get one of these thinking that Leica mojo will make up for what you could do with a 645Z or D810, you are looking at the world through red dot colored glasses. Something I see a lot from SL apologists.

V

Vivek

The price indicates to me this is for wealthy weekend warriors or just bored wealthy people. If you are a commercial pro and you get one of these thinking that Leica mojo will make up for what you could do with a 645Z or D810, you are looking at the world through red dot colored glasses.
The email from Leica actually says it s a pro cam that allows you to see the final picture before the shutter is tripped. I do not know of any other camera that makes it possible.

As long as Leica do not shoot themselves like they did with their M line (IR bleed, sensor corrosion), it will not a be a disaster.

The email from Leica actually says it s a pro cam that allows you to see the final picture before the shutter is tripped. I do not know of any other camera that makes it possible.

As long as Leica do not shoot themselves like they did with their M line (IR bleed, sensor corrosion), it will not a be a disaster.
Oh Leica says it's a pro cam. That's settles it. Also any camera with an EVF allows you to preview the final image as do the SLRs in live view for tripod situations. That's why EVFs are so great, but Leica is not the first to employ them.

k-hawinkler

Very funny! :ROTFL:

T.Dascalos

Not Available
Weddings may as well be the zenith if you're positioned right. Ad budgets are pretty sparse. I work in NYC and though I do know a few people who own a Leica for personal work nobody shoots professionally with them as their main system camera. Once this system grows there is definitely something interesting here but they should have waited a year until they had their primes done. Also if they wanted to attract the pro market it would be $5000 with a lens. The price indicates to me this is for wealthy weekend warriors or just bored wealthy people. If you are a commercial pro and you get one of these thinking that Leica mojo will make up for what you could do with a 645Z or D810, you are looking at the world through red dot colored glasses. Something I see a lot from SL apologists.
Leica calls this a pro camera, one has to look how a pro camera integrates with the rest of the system the maker provides as to perform tasks that where not served (or where underserved) up to that point... With this camera Leica provides the following:
1. Clean high ISO (as clean any pro would ever require) for events photography.
2. High speed for sports photography
3. Back up camera to the S system
4. Full compatibility with the S-lenses via the S-L adapter and hence to the leaf shutter lenses (but C645 & Hassy H lenses too)
5. A cheap MFDB for Sinar cameras (notice how wide & of shallow depth the T-mount is as to help photons to reach the sensor... it is as easy as if it was an MFDB).
6. Ability to use the same lenses (of the S) with a view camera too and full electronic communication (the interface is the same as the S-L adapter)..... it's only a cable to connect the front and rear standard (or internal wiring) needed.
7. A really capable motion video camera for professional use (again with the same lenses) and even the ability of full lens movements if one integrates a mini view camera between the camera and the lens.

So, one would expect for Sinar to enter the "mini view camera" (like the Actus) soon (which obviously was going to happen anyway since this is about the only view camera market that has enough demand anymore) and then a pro user could invest on the S-system and with only 3-4 lenses, perform all tasks that he may ever need by just adding a 601 body & a Sinar view camera... all in one bag and all coming from the same supplier....

It won't surprise me if they'll come up with a future version that will have multishot "true color" abilities and even ability to export RAW video... as to make this a most attractive system even to the most demanding pro... In fact I bet you my hat (I don't have any :) ) they will...