The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL (601) ..Oct 20th?

anGy

Out of interest, how many people here would have preferred a 24-70 f2.8 rather than the 24-90mm f2.8-4 for the SL?
I'd vote for a 24-90mm F4-2.8, would make a lot of sense, no ? (ok maybe not for the engineer that should design it :facesmack:)

+1

I guess you are 100% spot on... The SL looks to have been released as to miximize the S-006 / 007 sales and also the integration of S-user lenses with the Sinar cameras (with the SL used as an MFDB) for those who want to add a view camera ability in their system (since the interface required is the same as the SL to S lens adapter)... If Leica was after "just a mirrorless" they could have released a - cheaper to - Leica Q version without the lens....

By the way, the rumor some try to spread that the S-lenses leaf shutter won't work with the adapter, is pure fiction that they made up... I had to call Leica and ask them about that, their comment was "pure fiction... none is authorized to comment on an unreleased product yet, as he can't possibly know what the project manager will come up with, we won't restrict capabilities out of any of our products if we can apply them"....

You are right on the S-adapter delay, but I think that it has to do with the Sinar interface being developed in parallel to it... So I guess there should a small size (like Actus or Universallis) view camera coming soon from Sinar, with the SL in mind instead of an MFDB...

The S-007 demand is "off the roof" at the moment from wedding pros that want to use their existing line of C645 lenses on it so the demand can't be damaged from the S-adapter absence and I suspect that SL will have a good start by the owners of R&M lenses as to keep it in demand until the release of the S-adapter... but again, it would be best for Sinar to have a finished product as to accurately adapt a view camera to it... isn't it? ;)
I was told by no less than two representatives from Leica at the trade show that the leaf shutters WILL NOT BE ENABLED on the SL. The only thing that is fiction is your continued musings about non-existent future functionality with Sinar equipment. These products do not exist, and will not exist. Another fiction would be high S 007 demand. It's another slow seller. I do in fact have access to #s to support this. Wedding people are certainly not buying it because it makes no fiscal sense even for the highest paid among us.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
The integration of Sinar in Leica gave birth to the sinar p MF-L adapter for sinar P tech cams.
It's always good to have options and this is certainly great for people already having a Sinar P and a Pack Shot activity.
But this has rather limited interest for other users (no wide angle option for the Sinar P + Leica S, it stops at around 60mm focal length if I recall).
So a new Sinar system that would be compatible with a Leica body and offering real wide angle options (at least 24mm) and portability should be most welcomed. If no DB is used but a Leica SL body in place, would it only be physically possible to build such tool ?
(the rear element of a Rodenstock 32mm (23mm eq. with a Phase One back) comes really close to the sensor)

Only option that comes to mind is the 'Alpa FPS' like adapter from Sinar; Do you have other information ?
I think you've missed my point... If the SL will be used on a Sinar instead of an MFDB and the interface of S-lenses is applied as to have aperture control, then one would use his S-lenses (or Contax 645, or Hasselblad H via the appropriate adapter) on the front standard of the camera (since the image circle is much wider than what is required with the 24x36 sensor of the SL and there is nothing to block the light from hitting the sensor)... So one would use the Sinar S 24mm (or the Hasselblad 24mm) instead of an LF lens... The T-mount is 4mm (!!!!) wider than the Sony E mount... so the SL is expected to be perfect as to use it instead of an MFDB on a view camera even more so than the Sony A7 is...

T.Dascalos

Not Available
I was told by no less than two representatives from Leica at the trade show that the leaf shutters WILL NOT BE ENABLED on the SL. The only thing that is fiction is your continued musings about non-existent future functionality with Sinar equipment. These products do not exist, and will not exist. Another fiction would be high S 007 demand. It's another slow seller. I do in fact have access to #s to support this. Wedding people are certainly not buying it because it makes no fiscal sense even for the highest paid among us.
Keep on the good work... :clap:

anGy

I think you've missed my point... If the SL will be used on a Sinar instead of an MFDB and the interface of S-lenses is applied as to have aperture control, then one would use his S-lenses (or Contax 645, or Hasselblad H via the appropriate adapter) on the front standard of the camera (since the image circle is much wider than what is required with the 24x36 sensor of the SL and there is nothing to block the light from hitting the sensor)... So one would use the Sinar S 24mm (or the Hasselblad 24mm) instead of an LF lens... The T-mount is 4mm (!!!!) wider than the Sony E mount... so the SL is expected to be perfect as to use it instead of an MFDB on a view camera even more so than the Sony A7 is...
Oh, okay I get it, would be great to see that coming.

T.Dascalos

Not Available
Keep in mind, that all of this is made up. This is just complete conjecture on what could happen.
Of course it is... Leica doesn't want to sell the equipment they make... :ROTFL: They make the products just to look at them... they'll never combine them together as any other maker does as to sell more of them! :loco:

jonoslack

I was told by no less than two representatives from Leica at the trade show that the leaf shutters WILL NOT BE ENABLED on the SL.
Hi There
I've no doubt that you were told (and I have absolutely no idea personally of the truth one way or another) but I am aware that the stuff of adapters is very much under NDA, and it seems to me really unlikely that someone at a trade show would break that NDA with such gay abandon. But hey - as I say, I know nothing about it (or I could say nothing). Seems to me that we need to wait for the official specifications of the S and R adapters before we can really know what their functionality is . .

aDam007

I know this was pretty far up on the post... But I looked at the Dpreview shots, and even though I think they're a rubbish website. I came away thinking that the SL is on par with all the other cameras as far ISO is concern. Even the A7s.

The sharpness for a zoom is also on par with the other cameras.. I detect a slight bit more sharpness from the A7rII but I suspect it's really just resolution. And of course we have better lenses then the SL-zoom. So most of that will probably be negated by a better SL lens.

The results are IMHO, favour the SL (especially considering the lack of RAW support and it being a first gen firmware) I'm MORE excited about the SL now, not less.

aDam007

Hi There
I've no doubt that you were told (and I have absolutely no idea personally of the truth one way or another) but I am aware that the stuff of adapters is very much under NDA, and it seems to me really unlikely that someone at a trade show would break that NDA with such gay abandon. But hey - as I say, I know nothing about it (or I could say nothing). Seems to me that we need to wait for the official specifications of the S and R adapters before we can really know what their functionality is . .
Completely agree. This is BS and highly doubtful. As when I asked (again, just like 3 days ago). I was told they could not disclose the information, but the adapter would be worth the wait. I take it that Leica isn't just adding AF and calling it a day.

rsmphoto

Hi There
I've no doubt that you were told (and I have absolutely no idea personally of the truth one way or another) but I am aware that the stuff of adapters is very much under NDA, and it seems to me really unlikely that someone at a trade show would break that NDA with such gay abandon. But hey - as I say, I know nothing about it (or I could say nothing). Seems to me that we need to wait for the official specifications of the S and R adapfters before we can really know what their functionality is . .
A calm voice amidst the storm.

uhoh7

I know this was pretty far up on the post... But I looked at the Dpreview shots, and even though I think they're a rubbish website. I came away thinking that the SL is on par with all the other cameras as far ISO is concern. Even the A7s.
A7 pural or A7s (only Sony could think up this silly camera designation)?

It seems about as good as A7II, but the A7s or A7sII are in another league entirely. These are the best high ISO cameras we have ever seen, but the price is 10mp and the rest of the Sony issues.

aDam007

A7 pural or A7s (only Sony could think up this silly camera designation)?

It seems about as good as A7II, but the A7s or A7sII are in another league entirely. These are the best high ISO cameras we have ever seen, but the price is 10mp and the rest of the Sony issues.
I mean A7 plural. A general umbrella term though, which does somewhat encompass the A7s (but obviously the camera still has a good 2 stops on the SL and everything else out there).

BUT if you think about it. The big argument with the A7rII is that you can downres and it looks closer to the A7s at the A7s mp count. SO why can't I take that theory and apply it to the SL?

You have the option of selecting any camera you want, the A7s is on there, not the A7sII. But same sensor right?

So it's not to far off once down-rezed based on the samples in RAW.. And that's first gen firmware. Leica tends to get better somehow over the course of a year. So WE MIGHT (with better firmware) see a 1 stop difference up to 12800 then at that point I think it'll probably jump to a two stop difference.

JorisV

As for spirited support - I formalised my order for a camera and 24-90 today - can't say fairer than that.
Jono,

Did you have the standard zoom lens for the T as well?

Do you see much further use for that one in the future now that you will be obtaining the SL standard zoom as well?

Thanks, Joris.

raist3d

The A7II is the same sensor and ISO performance as the original A7, but with IBIS. I never shoot my A7 over 1200 because to my taste it gets ugly. I'd rather just use fast glass and keep the ISO down. All reports I have heard are ISO is not as good as the Q, but OK.

Having seen the work DPR does with their review cameras for many years, I don't take them seriously any more.

I would guess SL ISO performance is similar to A7II. I don't hear rave reviews about A7r2 ISO either.

If the A7r2 was not hamstrung by a quirky sensor cover, highly variable native glass, poor batteries, poor RAWS, awful interface I would be more impressed with the pixel count. It does offer the ability to crop well into any image, and it's ahead of the SL without doubt in that department. Otherwise, for me, it's a paper tiger.

That's not to say I don't see great photography with all the Sonys here. I credit the shooters more than the gear. :)
Well FWIW one big issue I see with the Leica sensor that Sony doesn't have is banding at high ISO. I saw it on the Leica Q when I tried it, and I see that dpreview reported/commented on that aspect already.

I do think if Leica is going to charge the high price they do, the sensor needs to be more flawless than that, though certainly the lenses will be excellent.

- Ricardo

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Well FWIW one big issue I see with the Leica sensor that Sony doesn't have is banding at high ISO. I saw it on the Leica Q when I tried it, and I see that dpreview reported/commented on that aspect already.

I do think if Leica is going to charge the high price they do, the sensor needs to be more flawless than that, though certainly he lenses will be excellent.

- Ricardo
I would take banding over an exfoliating sensor anyday. :)

T.Dascalos

Not Available
In fact it makes the CCD version of the S system very attractive because at low ISO's I'd assume the 006 and 007 to be very similar. Then for higher ISO, faster work the SL can be utilised. Price wise a S 006 + SL is about the same as a S 007. Just imagine the 70mm or 100mm S primes for portraits on the SL.
+1... Quite right, the SL adds the complementary features to the S-006 that the S-007 has, so one may preferer the "ccd look" than the "Cmos look"...

wattsy

Out of interest, how many people here would have preferred a 24-70 f2.8 rather than the 24-90mm f2.8-4 for the SL? I wonder if there is more interest in the extra focal length or speed?
I'd take the reach over the speed any day. I typically only use these zoom lenses for fairly boring event type work. With image stabilisation and decent ISO 2,500, I don't find F4 a limitation whereas I know that 90mm will be more useful to me than 70mm at the long end.

uhoh7

I would take banding over an exfoliating sensor anyday. :)
Meow :salute: You misunderstand this feature, Vivek

It just means you get free new sensor every three years or so. :)

It's another reason the bodies are not cheap. They look after them for years.