The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Summicron 80-R

But hey - isn't that R80 fantastic ?
Got one myself recently, just in case one of these days I happen to buy an SL ...
Till then, I'd like to see some more shots !

TIA

Kind regards.
I put four more from this afternoon's visit into a thread on the 80-100 mm R medium telephotos at the LUF:
http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/254513-which-90mm-m-lens-for-the-sl/page-2#entry2954662 and earlier entries consider the APO-Summicron R 90 and the APO Elmarit-R 100. The thread was started with a question about M 90s, but that didn't stick.

and there are also good examples in the "post your SL pictures" thread. http://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic...-post-your-examples-here/page-21#entry2954886

scott

Paratom

Tom,

How is the SL with zoom compared to the Leica T with zoom?

Is the difference substantial?

Thanks, Joris.
Hi Joris
The differences are:
- shallower DOF of the Zoom of SL
-more reliable AF (if light is low) with the SL
- even larger viewfinder with the SL
- I would say (just from my feeling) a little more DR with the SL

However the SL with 24-90 is much much larger than the T and the T IQ is quite good as well.
For me the Sl is not a replacement for the T.
I will keep the T when I want a smaller camera (when riding the bike with the kids, on birthday parties, on business trips,....)

jonoslack

This looks to me like a poor adapter on the sony.

I played with a 50 lux on my Sony and the results were far better than what you are showing with your lux which makes me think its a bad setup.
HI There

I used two different adapters - 1 a novoflex, and the other an Voigtlander VM-E(?). The difference is that your images are shot reasonably close up - no infinity shots. The problem is worse when the rear element is closest to the sensor (ie at infinity). Ron Scheffler pointed me in this direction originally.

I agree that the 50 is fine for close to medium distances . . . although not all lenses are, and the results are rather unpredictable.

Sony haven't made any attempt to correct for M lenses (and why on earth should they?!) so it isn't surprising that the SL does a better job.

All the best

scott kirkpatrick

Re: A little campus weirdness with SL, 80 Summicron-R

The gentleman whose statue is on the left appears to have been struck on the hip by a volley of freshly sharpened pencils. He is a founder of our university, Albert Einstein.

L1000661 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here, what is meant to end up as a warren of offices for people researching the brain

L1000687 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

currently looks like a Parthenon replica under construction.

scott

Knorp

Pssst Scott, before G starts nitpicking again - it's a Summilux ... :rolleyes:

scott kirkpatrick

Pssst Scott, before G starts nitpicking again - it's a Summilux ... :rolleyes:
Oops, too late. I don't know a way to edit in the title line. If he had allowed me to just write SX80-R, I might have gotten it right...

but you're correct.

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

Oops, too late. I don't know a way to edit in the title line. If he had allowed me to just write SX90-R, I might have gotten it right...

but you're correct.
LOL! We'll, I don't know what's more indecipherable...

G

DougDolde

It just seems odd to me that anyone would spend that much for a measly 24 megapixels.

Of course its a pittance compared to what 80 megapixels cost me.

Godfrey

I went for a quick walk around the neighborhood on this chilly holiday. My eyes were drawn to patterns and contrasts in the shapes and colors of things.

All shot with the Leica SL fitted with Summicron-R 90mm f/2.

enjoy!
G

ashwinrao1

SL and Canon 85 mm f/1.8 LTM (1950's-60's Jiro Mukai design)....great lens, and works marveloulsy for portraits on the SL:

The Rigid 50 'cron works marvelously as well:

Godfrey

I carried the 24-90 zoom for the first time on the walk today. Only took a few pictures .. had someone walking with me and was chatting too much .. but once at the restaurant I took a quick group snap to txt to my partner, who's on the road driving to Tijuana:

Leica SL + Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4
ISO 3200 @ f/8 @ 1/30 @ 24mm
set for +1.5EV compensation
JPEG direct out of camera

I moved the JPEG out of the camera to my iPhone using the Leica SL app and just sent it as is.
The ability to make a decent exposure like this with the miserable hotspot in the background .. @ ISO 3200 with + compensation too .. is impressive!

G

Godfrey

Hmm. This thread needs more photos!

I posted this elsewhere, but like it too much. This lovely old Stearman at the Palm Springs Air Museum is just waiting to be fired up:

Leica SL + Summilux-R 50mm f/1.4
ISO 64 @ f/1.4 @ 1/100

enjoy!
G

scott kirkpatrick

Godfrey, that looks like a Stearman which is flown regularly. The instruments are modern and the needles all point the right way. I'm not familiar with the Palm Springs museum, but do they fly their older planes? With visitors in them?

scott