The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

fotografz

I thought so too :) - trying to re-centre the discussion here!

No blackout - it stays live and get's slightly jerky - but quite usable - even at 11 fps (would anyone really use that except to find out whether it blacks out :)
The technical data sheet from Leica lists 3 different continuous drive modes for the SL: 4 fps (S), 7 fps (M), and 11 fps (F).

The 7 fps is of interest because we are experimenting with Hensel's FreeMask technology which benefits from a higher frame rate to shoot multiple frames of a strobe lit scene while firing each strobe group separately. This allows extremely detailed masking of a subject from the background and avoids the laborious task of manually outlining a subject (especially hair). We've tried it with my Sony A7R and found 4 fps to slow. Not sure 5 fps with a A7-II would be enough.

Does anyone know if you can shoot 7 fps in RAW with the SL? What about 11 fps, what is the penalty for that frame rate, if any? 11fps would be really good for this application IF we can set the strobes low enough to keep up.

Any user comments on the AF face detection? Is the AF assist light effective?

Thanks,

- Marc

jonoslack

The technical data sheet from Leica lists 3 different continuous drive modes for the SL: 4 fps (S), 7 fps (M), and 11 fps (F).

The 7 fps is of interest because we are experimenting with Hensel's FreeMask technology which benefits from a higher frame rate to shoot multiple frames of a strobe lit scene while firing each strobe group separately. This allows extremely detailed masking of a subject from the background and avoids the laborious task of manually outlining a subject (especially hair). We've tried it with my Sony A7R and found 4 fps to slow. Not sure 5 fps with a A7-II would be enough.

Does anyone know if you can shoot 7 fps in RAW with the SL? What about 11 fps, what is the penalty for that frame rate, if any? 11fps would be really good for this application IF we can set the strobes low enough to keep up.

Any user comments on the AF face detection? Is the AF assist light effective?

Thanks,

- Marc
Hi Marc
you can shoot RAW at 11 fps AF face detection seems excellent and the AF light seems to work okay ( the AF is generally excellent with the 24-90 (lens hood off for AF light).
Anymore specific questions?

JohnBrew

Jono, I'm sure you posted before what program you are using for processing the files, but I gotta tell ya, I'm loving that color.

jonoslack

Jono, I'm sure you posted before what program you are using for processing the files, but I gotta tell ya, I'm loving that color.
Hi John
I'm using Lightroom (to be honest I prefer Aperture, but I've finally given in to the inevitable.

ashwinrao1

I concur, John. Jono, it's honestly the colors that you are capturing (and what a place that you have chosen to use the camera) that are striking me, not to mention your lovely compositions and the lovely setting of romantic Venice. I was drawn greatly to the Leica Q due its lovely color reproduction. To me, I am seeing much of the same from the SL's sensor, which seems to be a close cousin. Thanks to the strength of your images, Jono, and from all that I have read from you, Ming, I am increasingly excited to get my hands on this camera. I think it's both it's own camera (if I could afford and a lovely bridge camera for R and M lenses. With colors like this, I am excited to see how M lenses play on it. Jono's already show this off in his review and iamges on his site.

Jono, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing as much as you have. It's really a kudos to you and to Leica for trusting you with the task to getting the word out (and images out) to get us excited. I am excited....Truly so, maybe moreso than any camera since the original Monochrom...

Nov 16th (or 21st, whatever the release date actually is here in the U.S.) can't come fast enough. My wallet is barking to be pilfered :)

D&A

Very much agree Ashwin. I too am seeing the similarities and same lovely color of the Q in Jono's SL images. Of course the intense colors of romatic Venice contributes to this as you pointed out as well as JOno's compositions, but when all is considered, the SL as a photographic tool is very versitile with regards to both M, R and other lenses while at the same time having the advantages of aamera that on least on paper? Has a very versitile palette on therms of applications.

As it gets into more capable hands of others ( besides Jono, Sean etc.), I'll look forward to hearing more including resulting inages taken.

On a seperate note, I've notoced an extreme geometric repetitive pattern type distortion in many of those Venice reflection images posted by Jono :). Must be the lens...LOL.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

jonoslack

Jono, I wanted to personally thank you for sharing as much as you have. It's really a kudos to you and to Leica for trusting you with the task to getting the word out (and images out) to get us excited. I am excited....Truly so, maybe moreso than any camera since the original Monochrom...
(blush) Thank you Ashwin I'm very flattered - and nice comments like yours make it all seem more worthwhile.
:)

bradhusick

Thank you Admins. "Fun with" threads are supposed to be mostly images taken with a particular camera.

Thank you Jono for giving us all the great images. As the camera goes on public sale I hope to see a lot more images here.

jonoslack

Thank you Admins. "Fun with" threads are supposed to be mostly images taken with a particular camera.

Thank you Jono for giving us all the great images. As the camera goes on public sale I hope to see a lot more images here.
So do I Brad! and the little hickup at the top will soon be forgotten . . .but it would be nice to see Godfrey back please :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
While I agree that I would like to see Godfrey back here, I must also say that his attitude was a bit strange (to say politely) in the last weeks and months.

But hey, everyone should be allowed to have some hiccups from time to time - right? ;)

Duane Pandorf

I've been away from the forum for a couple days and am glad I missed the "noise". I really enjoy the Leica forum here and the camaraderie I feel here compared to other sites. IMO, we get too wrapped up in comparing the polished ends of a frog hair split three ways when comparing gear.

The images Jono have shown here are an example of what an accomplished photographer can do with a camera. No different than many others here. The SL is out of my league but am glad Leica is pushing into new territory and hope to see some of that in the next M. I've only been a Leica owner for a couple years and really enjoy the experience as much as the photos the equipment can make. My over 6 year old tech M-E still exceeds me but I enjoy reading and seeing what other photographers on this forum are doing with the newer gear.

I'm glad we're all different and hope that we can appreciate those differences and I think they help each of us in our endeavors to enjoy our photography.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So do I Brad! and the little hickup at the top will soon be forgotten . . .but it would be nice to see Godfrey back please :)
Nothing I can do about that even though it looks bad on my end. He chose to leave than he chose to get banned. There is a whole backend thing no one understands.

Can we please move forward. In the end I'm the bad guy because someone has to get blamed in everyones mind and Im okay with that. Thats my job

Last edited:

D&A

Guy I wonder if one of my dogs or any dog for that matter who's told "bad dog" for doing something that causes others to be displeased, simply thinks "oh thats OK, I'll do it again cause thats my job"...LOL! :)

Dave (D&A)

stephengilbert

I wonder how many people agree with Guy, but feel that it would be impolite to say so. It's much easier to say so and so is a great person than to say "good riddance." That's a good thing about GetDPI, but I suspect that it causes things to appear skewed. I've often wished someone would just shut up, but I'd never say so.

V

Vivek

Because of the ruckus, i checked the prices of the SL (and the Q) here. While the Q is available readily for €4K, the price for the awaited SL is a bit over €7K. Can anyone explain why that is the case? :confused: