The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

scott kirkpatrick

I find those UWA shots really impressive, Scott.

Only 420 of those 15mms made, I hope you give us some more samples :)
Mine was made in 2002, and still new in the box. Despite my general belief that R lens prices can be bargained down about 30%, this guy knew what he had, and there wasn't time for psychological warfare.

The SL is a great platform for working with UWAs, like this one, the M's 18 SEM, and the R-19 (which I believe Godfrey is using). These lenses really reorganize space for you. Thinking back to work Friedlander has done with his SWC, I realize that he gets so far into the middle of things that different planes in space end up interacting through transparency. One of my pictures with the 15 in a conference center in Montreal has that flavor. Anyway, there are lots of things to try.

scott

Godfrey

Re: ISO 50 and an ultra-wide angle

Great idea, but a lot of stuff to be carrying around. I shot for a while with a vintage (i.e. flaky, spent a long time in the shop) SWC using color negative 6x6, HP5+, and finally a P45+ digital back (which makes it about 50x37 mm). I think I was trying to learn what makes the Sonoran desert come alive for Lee Friedlander. My desert was a building under construction, heaped with untidy piles of rebar, frameworks, forms, and all that. It was an interesting experience -- the lens scale wasn't trustworthy, so I had to focus bracket to get critical sharpness and didn't figure that out for a long time. I ended up doing most of the multi-year project with an M9 and a 21 for a consistent look. Anyway you seem to have a similar expectation for your "SWC".
The SWC and one A12 back fits in my Tenba Messenger Mini alongside the SL+SER15 if I juggle the dividers just right. That and the tripod are manageable for moderate length walks.

I don't know if I'll have time to do this this weekend, schedules are getting pretty crazy, but next weekend for sure.. :)

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Hi Scott,

like your photos, would have liked even more to see the Flickr copies in order to check Exif data, but these are not allowed as they are priest. Maybe you can do something about it?

Thanks

Peter

Godfrey

Mine was made in 2002, and still new in the box. Despite my general belief that R lens prices can be bargained down about 30%, this guy knew what he had, and there wasn't time for psychological warfare.

The SL is a great platform for working with UWAs, like this one, the M's 18 SEM, and the R-19 (which I believe Godfrey is using). These lenses really reorganize space for you. Thinking back to work Friedlander has done with his SWC, I realize that he gets so far into the middle of things that different planes in space end up interacting through transparency. One of my pictures with the 15 in a conference center in Montreal has that flavor. Anyway, there are lots of things to try.
I have both the Elmarit-R 19mm f/2.8 v1 and the Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5 now. Yes, I like the way you put that: they reorganize space. Can't wait to take the SER15 out on my walk tomorrow morning!

G

scott kirkpatrick

Hi Scott,

like your photos, would have liked even more to see the Flickr copies in order to check Exif data, but these are not allowed as they are priest. Maybe you can do something about it?

Thanks

Peter
I just put my selects into the Camera Roll page, double click on one, click on the "share" arrow and copy the BBcode link. When it then appears in the blog here, I can click on it and see a larger Flickr-hosted copy. But am I the only one with that privilege? I don't want to make albums for everything. Will I get a different result if I take the link from the copy that appears in photostream?

scott

Knorp

I just put my selects into the Camera Roll page, double click on one, click on the "share" arrow and copy the BBcode link. When it then appears in the blog here, I can click on it and see a larger Flickr-hosted copy. But am I the only one with that privilege? I don't want to make albums for everything. Will I get a different result if I take the link from the copy that appears in photostream?

scott
Scott, it seems all we get after clicking on your images is this:

Attachments

V

Vivek

He needs to change his privacy settings in order for you (without logging into flickr)to see larger versions.

ptomsu

Workshop Member

scott
Hi Scott,

works now fine! Many thanks indeed!

Peter

scott kirkpatrick

Shame you have to deal with the Yah-flickr push to sell Yahoo....

http://gizmodo.com/5910223/how-yahoo-killed-flickr-and-lost-the-internet

I spend little time there these days ....

Bob
I don't spend any time in Flickr or looking at any other parts of Flickr, but just use it for free storage as a place from which to export to this and other photoblogs. I used PBase for about 10 years for the same role. It just sells its services, rather than looking for opportunities to monetize my pictures, but it has gotten too expensive to load up further. I worry that PBase and Flickr will go away without much warning someday soon.

What's your current favorite photo-sharing archival service that doesn't mess with your originals these days?

scott

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Scott,

I use Zenfolio ... as an amateur I do not use any of its marketing tools but appreciate that a fee is worth keeping
the site running so I do not have to duplicate all of my work in a move to another site.

This is one of the possible sets for displaying set of photos ... and I have private sets for family photos. Have not updated this for
quite a while ... need to upload a year or two of select photos.

Robert E. Moore

Regards,

Bob

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I also have used (and prefer) Zenfolio. I started using Flickr for linking to getDPI because I couldn't link to the higher resolution versions in Zenfolio that looked better on high-res displays. Any ZF picture I linked to from here looked soft. Perhaps they've fixed that.

--Matt

scott kirkpatrick

I'll explore Zenfolio when things get really quiet in another week or two. But I have some full size shots to upload, and I'll see if the full resolution versions really do come down from Flickr (so that display at actual size exceeds my 23" home monitor).

Here are two of them: I was shooting test shots for corner pixel-peeping, looking across a valley on a gloomy day at a new housing development and I'm quite impressed by the results from my little 35-70/4 Vario-Elmar zoom. One-fifth the price and probably about the same fraction of the weight and size of the stately 24-90 AF-Asph SL lens leader.

First at 35, wide open, then at 70, stopped down to f/8.

L1000517 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

L1000520 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

let's see what sizes come through.

scott

k-hawinkler

Thanks scott. That's a great lens.
My copy of it works well on an A7r2.
I prefer using the 35-70 over the 28-90.

I wonder though how the R80 does on the SL?
That should be a stunner, no?

Godfrey

Flickr? Been using it since 2008 or so. Works fine. I don't trouble myself with Yahoo's corporate aims or any of that nonsense. I enjoy meandering through some of the groups occasionally. Facebook? Ugh. Other services? Sure.

Who really cares unless you have a specific purpose in mind? Flickr has enough flexibility in settings to do what I want for the moment. When I want something more, I'll set up my own website again.

Now, ahem. Back to "Fun with the Leica SL" ...

Truly enjoying the squares ...

Leica SL + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8
ISO 50 @ f/4 @ 1/500

The Elmarit-R 24mm fitted to the SL set to square format nets the equivalent FoV of a Hasselblad 500CM with 50mm lens. And is fast enough to net the same DoF coupling ... f/4 in this setup would be about f/11 on the Hasselblad.

It's raining today. Perhaps I'll use the SL 24-90 zoom on today's walk ... Weatherproof. I was going to go out with the Super-Elmar-R 15mm and do more squares, but weatherproof counts ...

enjoy! G

Godfrey

A bit of fun answering the question ...

Leica SL + Elmarit-R 24mm f/2.8 vs Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5

Comparison of 24mm vs 15mm lenses FoV.
From SL body to mirrored doors is 1 meter; I put myself in the same plane.

G