The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Robert Campbell

There are several variations on the Spitfire canopy design. This is the "iconic Supermarine Spitfire fighter" ...

(see 92-year-old Female WWII Vet Flies Again | EpicTimes)

where this is a more classic MK26b model:

(see Spitfire Mk26b | Light Aircraft DB & Sales)

A P-51 Mustang has a fundamentally different fuselage/wing/tail shape, never mind the cockpit canopy:

I'm by no means an expert on any of these airplanes. :)

G
The P-51 Mustang uses a version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, built by Packard under licence. The Merlin was the engine in the Spitfire etc.

scott kirkpatrick

The P-51 Mustang uses a version of the Rolls-Royce Merlin engine, built by Packard under licence. The Merlin was the engine in the Spitfire etc.
Apparently the P51 was a real dog until they got to England and tried the Merlin. And that's why the exhaust stacks look almost the same. Is the 5-bladed propeller seen on both fighters or just on the Mustang?

scott

fotoism

I tweaked Chrome a bit and now the color there is good on your second upload (#577) as well as Robert's quote of your files (#581), but your previous files (#561) are still pale in Chrome, and all fine in IE and FF. Go figure!

scott kirkpatrick

I tweaked Chrome a bit and now the color there is good on your second upload (#577) as well as Robert's quote of your files (#581), but your previous files (#561) are still pale in Chrome, and all fine in IE and FF. Go figure!
Thanks for checking. I think Godfrey sees more than the elements that I have tweaked. He said my output files showed "generic DNG profile" or something, but in the output dialog of Capture One I have two options, Adobe RGB or SRGBxxxxx, and that's all that I have changed. It's 1 am here, and I have to get kids to school tomorrow, so I'll absorb any more advice in the morning. Thanks, guys.

scott

fotoism

Safari on both iMac and Macbook look good on all your files, previous ones and the last ones. I did not have Safari on Win 7 though.

Godfrey

Sorry for the distraction, but Capture One just released an upgrade. Here's one of the last files regenerated with the new release. Could someone with a browser that sees the previous file wrong tell me if anything has changed?

L1010040 2 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

thanks,

scott

Edit: I replaced the second try with a third, using sRGB output -- previously my JPEGs were in Adobe RGB.
The ones that appear washed out in Firefox on my system show this when I look at them with EXIFtool:

ProfileCreator: POne
ProfileDescription: GenericDngFile-Neutral
ProfileCopyright: Copyright (c) 2005-2007 Phase One A/S. All rights reserved.
ProfileCMMType:
ProfileClass: Input Device Profile
ProfileConnectionSpace: Lab
ProfileDateTime: 2007:08:10 18:51:51​

The ones that render properly in Firefox on my system show this when I look at them with EXIFtool:

ProfileCreator: HP
ProfileDescription: sRGB IEC61966-2.1
ProfileCopyright: Copyright (c) 1998 Hewlett-Packard Company
ProfileCMMType: Lino
ProfileClass: Display Device Profile
ProfileConnectionSpace: XYZ
ProfileDateTime: 1998:02:09 06:49:00​

Both render properly in Safari (on OS X or iOS devices, likely Windows too but I don't have a Windows system to check against) because Safari is color-managed and honors the profiles. The same is true of Chrome, I believe, although I never run Chrome. Firefox does not color-manage and honor profiles by default.

You should always output image files you intend to post to the web with sRGB color calibration profile, not Adobe RGB (1998) or any other.

G

Robert Campbell

Apparently the P51 was a real dog until they got to England and tried the Merlin. And that's why the exhaust stacks look almost the same. Is the 5-bladed propeller seen on both fighters or just on the Mustang?

scott
While I know a bit about the Merlin engine, I don't know much about the planes. I gather that (at least) two types of propellers could be mounted. Some (most?) seem to have had 4 blades; others had 5.

Paratom

I wonder what wild pigs think about the behavior of human beings...
This is not a parking area near a highway but places in the woods where normal people come to enjoy the nature.

Attachments

Robert Campbell

I wonder what wild pigs think about the behavior of human beings...
This is not a parking area near a highway but places in the woods where normal people come to enjoy the nature.
Pretty much typical for rural N Ireland; I lost count of the Red Bull cans, fast food containers and plastic bags along the roadside when out for a walk earlier today.

V

Vivek

Scott, Mixed and or artificial lighting could be a challenge for WB. Still the skin colors are quite off.

Godfrey

Here are some more dinner and family evening pictures, this time with the APO-Summicron-R 90:

scott
These are all rendered with C1, right? I would be interested to see you render them with Lightroom 6.3, which has the right profile for the Leica SL.

I took a copy of the first one into LR6.3 and cleaned up the skin tones in about six seconds by adjusting white point and HSL map for hue and saturation. It looks much more natural edited that way.

G