The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

scott kirkpatrick

Thanks for the comments. I edited in a second try on the first and third picture. The middle picture is illuminated solely by a video game, so I left it alone. On the first one, I went back to Leica's recommended color temperature set by AWB, and on the third I cranked back the highlight and shadow sliders. That one is white balanced off the neutral wall in the background. Do these look better?

I'm rather Adobephobic -- when I put in my TAN number it tried to put me into a CC subscription, so I backed out and still don't have LR.

scott

Godfrey

Thanks for the comments. I edited in a second try on the first and third picture. The middle picture is illuminated solely by a video game, so I left it alone. On the first one, I went back to Leica's recommended color temperature set by AWB, and on the third I cranked back the highlight and shadow sliders. That one is white balanced off the neutral wall in the background. Do these look better?

I'm rather Adobephobic -- when I put in my TAN number it tried to put me into a CC subscription, so I backed out and still don't have LR.
The first picture seems a bit better but still rather red-pink. Indoor light generally tends to be more yellow, and if you have fluorescents, a bit greenish too. Getting skin tones correct with fluorescents is a PITA and usually end up with the scene having a mild, slightly green cast to it unless you do a lot more PP.

I don't understand Adobephobia ... It's just software.

The TAN number should net you the authorization code (looks like this: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX) to use with a downloaded Lightroom installer. The default web page for LR and PS always bring you to the CC page by default, so ignore it. Go instead to https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html and download the latest revision of LR, version 6.3, for your Windows or OS X system. Install it, then input the authorization code. That's it.

BTW, whenever you create a catalog, the default catalog has Adobe Cloud turned on. Be sure to wait until it shows the splash screen, click the button in the middle to turn it off, and then click Continue. They work hard to sell people subscriptions and cloud services these days, but I have no need of it and keep it turned off.

G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 15/2.8 on the SL

At the edges of Jerusalem are huge cemeteries. Where I come from, we scatter the ashes of loved ones where we think they would like to rest, e.g. in gardens, but not here. It makes for great high resolution pixel peeping tests, and the scenery is pretty dramatic:

L1010150 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Here's the view north, showing the highway entering Jerusalem, the train bridge under construction (two sections of it), a newish suburb (Ramot), a Palestinian town (Beit Iksa) and a small mosque on the hilltop honoring the prophet Samuel (or Samwil, or Shmuel -- there is contention for this hilltop):

L1010154 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The stones on the graves are a token of remembrance left by recent visitors.

scott

P.S. Oh, I did comparative shots with the R 15/2.8 and the M 18/3.8. They both work well deep in the corners, as long as depth of field permits.

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Re: Fun with the Elmarit-R 15/2.8 on the SL

At the edges of Jerusalem are huge cemeteries. Where I come from, we scatter the ashes of loved ones where we think they would like to rest, e.g. in gardens, but not here. It makes for great high resolution pixel peeping tests, and the scenery is pretty dramatic:

L1010150 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Here's the view north, showing the highway entering Jerusalem, the train bridge under construction (two sections of it), a newish suburb (Ramot), a Palestinian town (Beit Iksa) and a small mosque on the hilltop honoring the prophet Samuel (or Samwil, or Shumuel -- there is contention for this hilltop):

L1010154 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The stones on the graves are a token of remembrance left by recent visitors.

scott

Looking at those images has given me an "Ahhh" moment. The rather irregular rectangular pattern is very strikingly similar to the Holocaust monument in Berlin.

Godfrey

A couple more from the Palm Springs Air Museum ...

Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5
ISO 1600 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60

Leica SL + Super-Elmar-R 15mm f/3.5
ISO 1600 @ f/3.5 @ 1/60

enjoy!
G

Robert Campbell

(This is from the metal bridge above the river; the bridge is narrow and "weak" and vibrates a lot when traffic passes. There is a better viewpoint from the concrete "collar" around the base of the abutment, but this is several feet under water at present. I keep hoping to get access there, though the water level is receding only very slowly. With luck, at sunset, the sun sets in line with the river at this time of year, and there is a reflection along its length.)

johneaton

Fishermen (and -women and -boys!) on the incoming tide this morning, with an interesting sky as the next potential storm rain moved in -- SL+Zuiko 35-80mm, f2.8 all at f8

@80mm

winter seascape-17.jpg

@35mm

winter seascape-18.jpg

@40mm

winter seascape-19.jpg

@80mm

winter seascape-20.jpg

scott kirkpatrick

Re: More Fun with the Leica SL and R 15/2.8

Jared over on the LUF posted a very elegant picture of his Nespresso machine in operation, along with several weeks' supply of its capsules, and he was using this still life as a target for his APO-Elmarit-R 280, so everything compressed into a nice arrangement. Now let's try the other extreme -- Polish freeze-dried coffee made on an Israeli hot/cold filtered water machine, called a "Tami Arba."

L1010175 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here the 15 is reorganizing space in an interesting way:

L1010161 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

Godfrey

Out to lunch at a pizza parlor yesterday, things and people around me...

Leica SL + Summicron-R 35mm f/2
ISO 400 @ f/5.6 @ 1/60

ISO 320 @ f/2 @ 1/60

ISO 320 @ f/2.8 @ 1/60

enjoy!

G

Last edited:

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital) @135mm

Tried out the APO-Telyt M 135/3.4 today. It was singled out on TOP (TheOnlinePhotographer) as the single most useless focal length, so that was a challenge. First a portrait, of Leo, who resents being upstaged by a cute kitten that just adopted us

L1010190 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and here is the sort of fire hydrant you can have when it is extremely unlikely to freeze in winter

L1010214 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

D&A

Leo has that look that has him thinking " dumb 135mm"...LOL. well I happen to like mine, so thats what I say to that! :).

Dave (D&A)

MikalWGrass

Scott, great photos. My dad is buried in Haifa overlooking a soccer field, with a view of the sea. I have a few photos of his headstone that I took with an M6 and the CV15.

There are a few cemeteries here in South Florida off of the turnpike that I want to photograph. Just never had the guts. Glad you do. Very nice photos.

scott kirkpatrick

Scott, great photos. My dad is buried in Haifa overlooking a soccer field, with a view of the sea. I have a few photos of his headstone that I took with an M6 and the CV15.

There are a few cemeteries here in South Florida off of the turnpike that I want to photograph. Just never had the guts. Glad you do. Very nice photos.
Thanks.
Jewish cemeteries near Miami? Big, like this one, with everything above ground? I'd love to visit. French cemeteries are pleasant places to wander around, especially in the South. Lots of pictures and memorabilia. They are not really very forbidding to photograph in. You should try.

scott

Last edited:

MikalWGrass

Scott, I don't think they are Jewish cemeteries but they look very interesting, nonetheless. There are Jewish cemeteries, and older cemeteries that hold the bones of the families that developed the area at the expense of what was then the local population. They tended to be buried in mausoleums instead of in ground graves. Guess they think it will be easier to slide out a heavy stone than dig out from 6 feet worth of dirt.

Anyway, there is a beautiful Jewish cemetery n Doral, FL, which took me by surprise.