The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fast rail to the airport

Well, sometime next year, they claim.

S1020514 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and underneath in the valley, a village rendered uninhabitable -- but still visited frequently -- during the Independence War over 60 years ago:

S1020528 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Both with the SL and APO-Telyt-R 280/4.0

scott

PS: I made a 12-shot panorama of the whole valley with the 280. It's viewable at my university site:http://www.cs.huji.ac.il/~kirk/testfiles/S1020515%20Panorama.jpg. It's an interesting compilation of land uses -- from a cemetary, to several suburbs, both Israeli and Palestinian, a mosque or two, and of course the new bridge.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Another neighborhood walk.

Leica SL + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
ISO 400 @ f/4 @ 1/2500

Leica SL + Summarit-M 75mm f/2.4
ISO 400 @ f/3.5 @ 1/1600

I think I'll print these as a diptych. :)

enjoy!
G

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Working with the 21-35 Vario-Elmarit-R Asph

Faces in a restaurant:

S1020575 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

And a simple synagogue, with a tree growing through its antechamber:

S1020614 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Pictures from around 1950 show this little stone box sitting alone on a bare stony hill, but a neighborhood, initially populated by refugees, now somewhat gentrified, has grown around it:

S1020622 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

VINCET

Leica finally opened an east coast store in Boston. Yesterday was their grand opening. I went there this morning. I did get to play with Leica SL with a Noct mounted on it. Very nice combo. The SL is much better in real life than the photo. Ergonomics is really great especially when focusing a manual focus lens like the Noct. I am very impressed with how nice the EVF is. After playing with it, I now want one. Here are some shots with the Noct and SL

L1010601.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010619.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010612.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010611.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010610.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010608.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

L1010604.jpg by VINCE, on Flickr

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Watching the Israeli Equivalent of Saturday Night Live

It's a show called "Eretz Nehederet (lovely land)," and naturally it runs on Friday night, not Saturday, as it has now for 13 years:

S1020722 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Vario Elmar 21-35 asph at 21 ISO 2000, 1/125, probably f/3.5 (from the vignetting)

scott

Last edited:

Godfrey

Leica finally opened an east coast store in Boston. Yesterday was their grand opening. I went there this morning. I did get to play with Leica SL with a Noct mounted on it. Very nice combo. The SL is much better in real life than the photo. Ergonomics is really great especially when focusing a manual focus lens like the Noct. I am very impressed with how nice the EVF is. After playing with it, I now want one. ...
Nice photos!

It's a much nicer camera in the hand than any reading of spec sheet or punditry can relay. And a better performer than any web-resolution photo can show.

G

PeterA

Scott I think maybe you should consider downsizing your posted shots somewhat - they take forever to download...

VINCET

Nice photos!

It's a much nicer camera in the hand than any reading of spec sheet or punditry can relay. And a better performer than any web-resolution photo can show.

G
Godfrey

You are absolute correct. This is one camera that I hated, never thought I would ever buy and yet, I am not thinking about getting. In fact, I am even considering selling my M 240 to replace it with the SL. The size is not too big. Might even be just right without the lens. The lens is big but not bigger than a Nikon or Canon lens. But I like the feel and most especially the EVF. I can really focus well even with lens like the Noctilux. I love to try it with my Noct Nikkor given the chance. I love the idea of the EVF in the M 240 when M was first introduced. The issue is the speed of the EVF in the M is just too slow. With the SL, amazingly quick and the image is very good. I knew it was a mistake to go to the store ;)

Vince

Godfrey

Amusing moment yesterday:

My car was smashed last week by a careless driver, and it's to expensive to repair (16 years old and high mileage nets salvage... sigh). So I hunted up a replacement, pretty quickly, and bought it yesterday. After completing the deal and paperwork, I drove the car to my friends' house since we'd planned to have dinner.

"You bought a Mercedes today? Just like that? I'm shocked!! ..."
"Um, it wasn't 'just like that'. I did have my mechanic go through it rather exhaustively, got a very fair price, etc. And it's not all that expensive."
"NOT 'all that expensive'?! Sheesh, it's $12,000! That's a lotta money!"
"Hmm, well, I ordered my Leica SL and lens without even seeing one yet. It cost me a couple grand more than that, after taxes. And it's just a darn camera..."

The sound of his jaw hitting the floor was most amusing. He's not a photographer... :toocool:

G

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Nice photos!

G
:OT:, but this goes for the S, too.

--Matt

scott kirkpatrick

@Godfrey -- You really NEED a car, so we don't talk much about CAS, the car equivalent of GAS. And if you compare a week to visit a reliable car lot or two, read Craigslist or whatever, get a candidate to the mechanic, that's probably less time than you spent while deciding to preorder an SL and its 24-90 lens. Sounds normal to me.

scott

PS and it is certainly less time than you waited for the SL to arrive.

Godfrey

The light was nice this morning around dawn. I pulled out the SL and its zoom, parked the new car in the church parking lot across the street, and snapped a few baby pictures... Here are four of the ten photos, nearly straight out of the camera.

All: Leica SL + Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH OIS

Gallery of ten images:
Flickr: Mercedes-Benz SLK 280

enjoy!
G

Godfrey

Wow, I am overcome with envy. How much did you say you paid for that lovely ride?
LOL! Thank you! I think it's a beauty too. :)

As is, it was $12,300 out the door inclusive of taxes, fees, and licensing. It drives beautifully, and feels totally different compared to its 2000 SLK 230K predecessor.

I have a list of things it needs that will cost me an additional $1500 or so (just normal maintenance stuff for a car of this age and mileage, plus a full service). Then I'll dump another bit of money into upgrading the stereo system for access to modern iDevices for music, audiobooks, telephone, and navigation. If there's any money left over, I'll upgrade the wheels to the 2006-optional 17" and fit fresh tires. The payout on the 2000 was a bit more generous than I expected so I've got a bit more cash leeway to play with.

The little six makes beautiful music when it revs up... :)

To return to photography for a moment: I chose to use the SL and SL24-90 when I photographed it. Most of the photos were made with the lens between about 60 and 75mm focal length, between f/5.6 and f/8, at ISO 400-1200. I tweaked the EC downwards on a couple to prevent highlight blowout. The photos posted in the gallery are pretty much raw brought into Lightroom, cropped to 10:16 format, and the borders added; that's it. The camera and lens performed flawlessly.

G

scott kirkpatrick

LOL! Thank you! I think it's a beauty too. :)

As is, it was $12,300 out the door inclusive of taxes, fees, and licensing. It drives beautifully, and feels totally different compared to its 2000 SLK 230K predecessor.

I have a list of things it needs that will cost me an additional $1500 or so (just normal maintenance stuff for a car of this age and mileage, plus a full service). Then I'll dump another bit of money into upgrading the stereo system for access to modern iDevices for music, audiobooks, telephone, and navigation. If there's any money left over, I'll upgrade the wheels to the 2006-optional 17" and fit fresh tires. The payout on the 2000 was a bit more generous than I expected so I've got a bit more cash leeway to play with.

The little six makes beautiful music when it revs up... :)

To return to photography for a moment: I chose to use the SL and SL24-90 when I photographed it. Most of the photos were made with the lens between about 60 and 75mm focal length, between f/5.6 and f/8, at ISO 400-1200. I tweaked the EC downwards on a couple to prevent highlight blowout. The photos posted in the gallery are pretty much raw brought into Lightroom, cropped to 10:16 format, and the borders added; that's it. The camera and lens performed flawlessly.

G
Well, if it were mine, I'd do the service, get the big wheels and new tires, leave the top down and not worry about the stereo system, since it's a bit hard to hear that on an open windy road. Like Highway 1 all the way to Santa Barbara.

BTW, I saw in one of your other posts that Keeble and Shuchat is closing. That's really sad. I've always stopped in when I have any free time in the west bay. What will happen to the collection of classic cameras that ran all the way around the top of the display cases?

scott