The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

vieri

Manarola, after sunset

Manarola in the Cinque Terre (Italy), after sunset.

Leica SL and Voigtlander 15mm Super-Heliar III. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri

kuau

Workshop Member
Re: Manarola, after sunset

Manarola in the Cinque Terre (Italy), after sunset.

Leica SL and Voigtlander 15mm Super-Heliar III. Thanks for viewing, best

Vieri
Vieri,
Wonderful image thanks for sharing when using the Voigtlander 15 Ver. lll
what lens profile do you use on the SL or is no correction needed.
Thanks

RMR

Spring? Not quite but it felt like it here in Portsmouth, NH as folks were waiting in line for ice creams and this gal was making fudge in the shop window. Handheld, iso1600, SL with 24-90mm at 42mm, f3.5 and 1/1250sec. This lens did a great job at f3.5 giving me a nice soft blur to those folks looking in the window watching the peanut butter fudge be pushed around before setting up!

L1010553_SL601_RMR_Feb_2017_RMRing_FB.jpg

jdphoto

From my perspective by looking at the "fun with" threads, the Leica SL has so much more micro contrast and better color rendition then most all of the MFD threads, imo. Yeah, 24mp FF vs MFD, but one thing in favor for the Hasselblad X1D is SD cards. Nice image of the geese, but is that moire on the tail feathers?

Andrew Gough

From my perspective by looking at the "fun with" threads, the Leica SL has so much more micro contrast and better color rendition then most all of the MFD threads, imo. Yeah, 24mp FF vs MFD, but one thing in favor for the Hasselblad X1D is SD cards. Nice image of the geese, but is that moire on the tail feathers?
Image #2 shows a little moire on the tail feathers. This would happen with just about any sensor that does not have an anti aliasing filter, the SL is no different in that respect compared to the other brands. Its a compromise with any brand... Good eye though!

jdphoto

Image #2 shows a little moire on the tail feathers. This would happen with just about any sensor that does not have an anti aliasing filter, the SL is no different in that respect compared to the other brands. Its a compromise with any brand... Good eye though!
Regardless, the Leica SL really stands out amongst MFD. I want that camera.

RMR

See all of those snow spots on the road? A big wind blew most of the snow off of the trees right onto me as I was standing in the road with my SL. Yup got snow covered too!
Data: Leica SL, 24-90mm at 35mm, iso50, 1/200sec at f3.5

L1000406_SL601_RMR_Feb_2017_RMRing.jpg

Andrew Gough

Regardless, the Leica SL really stands out amongst MFD. I want that camera.
You wont regret it, I didn't. Its a bit of a learning curve, I strongly recommend downloading the manual and keeping it on your phone.

There is a used one on fredmiranda.com FYI.

Andrew

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Jerusalem vernacular -- red roofs and white barrels

S1030726 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

90-280 @210mm f/5.6 (click thru to count the dishes, the barrels hold solar-heated water.)

BTW, I would not carry the manual around. A new user should read an introductory review, such as Jono's,to get their mind wrapped around its operation, then experiment with the few settings that may matter, placing them on the shortcuts until they feel right. The manual will just set you back. Even for complicated stuff like video, it is not much help, as the menus are almost self-explanatory. When the camera was new, there was discussion of the need for a manual written for photographers, but I haven't seen any of that in months.

scott

Godfrey

Re: Jerusalem vernacular -- red roofs and white barrels

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2861/32291453603_05cc25fbc6_o.jpg

90-280 @210mm f/5.6 (click thru to count the dishes, the barrels hold solar-heated water.)
BTW, I would not carry the manual around. A new user should read an introductory review, such as Jono's,to get their mind wrapped around its operation, then experiment with the few settings that may matter, placing them on the shortcuts until they feel right. The manual will just set you back. Even for complicated stuff like video, it is not much help, as the menus are almost self-explanatory. When the camera was new, there was discussion of the need for a manual written for photographers, but I haven't seen any of that in months. [/QUOTE]

Nice photo.

I have the manuals for all my cameras (past and present) in my iPad so that I can get to them (and search for information) any time I need to. I don't need to very often, however.

I do think that a better manual for the SL would be a good thing and have—very very slowly—been thinking about it over the past year and a half. As your statement implies, a better manual would be most helpful at the beginning to get the "concepts of operation" and the camera's logic into the head of new users, after which a small and cleanly organized reference for specific function lookup would be the most useful.

Maybe I'll produce something like that as Summer approaches. The problem is that I much prefer taking my camera out to make photographs over taking it out to analyze how to make photographs. :toocool:

G

RMR

Joe's Playland... in Salisbury, MA right next to the beach at 65 deg on February 24th late afternoon. Who would have thought it'd be so warm here in Massachusetts.

Leica SL, 24-90mm at 24mm, f2.8, iso400, 1/4000sec

I still can't get over how great this zoom lens is. Of course great light always helps (i.e. plentiful light for the sensor) and with it this camera really does a great job. I haven't been using my M lenses since I got the 24-90mm SL lens. Got to get back to using the 'whole bag'!

L1010668_SL601_RMR_Feb_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

Last edited:

Godfrey

Took the SL and SL24-90 lens on my walk this morning.

Leica SL + Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm f/2.8-4 ASPH
ISO 200 @ f/10 @ 1/160

enjoy!
G

RMR

Another image with the SL & 24-90mm lens. I'm having way too much fun with this setup! This image is part of an old pier taken today Feb 26.

Leica SL with 24-90mm lens at 76mm, iso50, f3.8, 1/500sec

L1010731_SL601_RMR_Feb_2017_RMRing_FB.jpg

RMR

Something different for an image here. My wife's uncle gave me his unused 'Baby' Rolleiflex camera back in the early 70's since he was losing his eyesight. This one is 1963-1968 vintage and is a 127 roll film size camera (not a 2 1/4 Sq).

Used my SL & 24-90mm lens at 54mm, iso50, f3.8, 1/200 sec under one Elinchrom Studio light.

L1010747_SL601_RMR_Mar_2017_RMRing_FB.jpg