The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

Andrew Gough

The author really did not spend much time thinking about Leica's strategy. The M10 has become what it was supposed to be, a small, light, rangefinder camera. It has gone back to its core essence, which is great. Leica now needs a camera that will offer great stills, video, and cutting edge optical performance - the Sl is this. Lenses will arrive and they will be stunning. Yes its heavy, but paired with the adapter and an M lens, its the same size and weight as my M240 was with the GPS grip. Leica will add megapixels down the road, but the core cam is very close to perfect. The video needs constant tracking AF, and a few more options, but for stills, its ideal.

It is the best camera that I have used to date. I have tried Canon's, Sonys, Panasonics, and Leica M's. The SL is by far my type of camera.

I own two, and I travel with the system all the time. I can go from a large SLR type setup with full AF to a small, manual focus system. No other system has this level of flexibility and optical performance. I can switch to a small shoulder bag and throw in a couple of M summilux's and away I go. I may even add an M10 down the road, or the new TL when it arrives.

It is conceived as a complete system that can draw upon the entire Leica ecosystem. No other manufacturer offers this, Sony is the closest, but they lack the zooms, usability, ergonomics, and optical performance.

Andrew

RMR

'Late Winter In Portsmouth NH'....
I just love scenes like this as I feel it represents what folks think of when they think of New England
L1010971_SL601_RMR_Mar_2017-Edit-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

Leica SL, 24-90mm lens at 56mm, iso200, f7.1, 1/250sec

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Everyone loves this statue in Central Park (just north of the Stuart Little Pond :rolleyes:) I think Alice looks like Kali with too few arms. 90-280/2.8-4 @ 280/4:

--Matt

RMR

'Pink Moonset Over Pentucket Pond'....

taken today April 11, 2017 at 6am. Forecast to approach 80 deg and the water's still and fish are jumping. Great start to a new day here in eastern Massachusetts!

Leica SL, 24-90mm lens at 49mm, f6.3, 1/8 sec at iso 200

L1030114_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

Last edited:

RMR

'Moon Rise Over Salisbury'....
Took this shot the other night from the Salisbury, MA side of the Merrimack River opposite Newburyport, MA. I was focusing on the sunset over Newburyport but the light behind me (this scene) was really nice so....here it is!

Leica SL, 24-90mm at 24mm, iso200, f7.1, 15sec with 10 stop ND

L1020937_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

RMR

Walking down a quiet path....can be good for the soul sometimes...

Leica SL, 24-90mm lens at 24mm, iso400, f7.1, 1/250 secL1010799_SL601_RMR_Mar_2017_RMRing_FB.jpg

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Dead Tree with 24-90

Daffodil on 98th Street with WATE

Hayden Planetarium with WATE

And, I'm sorry to say, Soup taking ownership of a guest's shoes. With 24-90.

Best,

Matt

frontosa

Workshop Member
At Antelope Valley Hills - Leica SL with 50 SL 1.4. Playing with 1.4 aperture and the shallow depth of field.

jdphoto

'Moon Rise Over Salisbury'....
Took this shot the other night from the Salisbury, MA side of the Merrimack River opposite Newburyport, MA. I was focusing on the sunset over Newburyport but the light behind me (this scene) was really nice so....here it is!

Leica SL, 24-90mm at 24mm, iso200, f7.1, 15sec with 10 stop ND

View attachment 126257
I flew a Citabria (aerobatic airplane) into Newburyport airport. It's a great area the FBO even lets you take bikes to ride around the beach.

RMR

'Blue On Blue'...
at the northern end of Plum Island, Newburyport, MA
Taken at the start of Blue Hour as it's commonly called...
Leica SL with 24-90mm lens at 35mm, f6.3, iso 800, 1 sec exposure (with ND filter in place)
L1030635_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

Godfrey

It's Earth Day 2017! And my Saturday Morning Walk is going to be a Saturday Morning Ride.

The Sumo, now sans rack and with blinky lights fore and aft:

I decided to go with backpack only and ditched the rack. And then the gear that goes into the small backpack and on my body:

Timbuk2 Rapid Pack
Helmet
Overshirt
Wallet
iPhone
Impossible Project I-1 camera
iPad Pro 9.7
Keys
Bicycle lock

Just enough for the 10 mile round trip and breakfast stop this morning. :)

onwards!
G

RMR

'Sun Rise By Ram Island Ledge Light' off the coast of Maine by Portland Head Light looking eastward.
Leica SL601, 24-90mm lens at 32mm, f4.5, iso 400, 1.3 sec
L1040118_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

RMR

'Swirling Seas At The Lighthouse'...
on a rainy, windy and very cold (40 deg) morning. Is it really Spring here in New England on April 23rd?
A one second long exposure to slow down the wave action.

SL, 24-90mm lens at 24mm, f10, 1 sec, iso 400 with ND Filter
L1030753_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017-Edit_RMRing_FB.jpg

RMR

Enjoying Spring 2017......rain after rain after rain.......

Leica SL, 50mm f2 Carl Zeiss ZF.2 Lens (for Nikon) adapted with a Novoflex adapter, iso 400

L1040939_SL601_RMR_Apr_2017_RMRing_FB.jpg

vieri

Playa de Gueirua, sunrise

The amazing Playa de Gueirua, in the Asturias, at sunrise.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm. Best regards,

Vieri