The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

RMR

That's not your average sloop. Can you identify the four-master and the hotel complex for those of us who haven't been to Bar Harbor in the last few years?

scott
Hi Scott. That's the Bar Harbor Inn and the schooner is the Margaret Todd. The hotel is a top shelf place to stay right on the harbor while the schooner provides some nice cruises in the area (known for its sunset cruises)!

frontosa

Workshop Member
Across from Fossils Falls off 395, north of Ridgecrest. After sunset with storm clouds coming in.
Leica SL and Tri-elmar.

scott kirkpatrick

The SL can be used with TL lenses, which only cover the APS-C portion of the frame, but are nice and small. You might wonder why I would give up a little over half of the pixels, or go to a resolution reduced by 1.5. Well, 4K video in the SL uses only that portion of the frame. To see how big a 10 MPx APS-C image from the SL can be enlarged and still look close to the quality of the 24 MPX full frame, I shot this scene with a 28/2.8-asph at f/5.6 on my M10, and cropped out a portion (2100x1000 pixels) in the center of the frame at 100% resolution:

L8001799 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

now compare it with the same portion of the scene shot with a Vario-Elmar-SL 11-23, at 19 mm, f/5.6, with less than half the pixels (1450x650) behind the same portion of the cityscape.

S1010007 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Uncropped, these pictures would print three times wider. You can click through to flickr to see the extra information in the first (M10) frame.

scott

RMR

Staying at our timeshare in Rockland, Maine that we've owned for over 30 years. I always go around the area looking for photo ops and this one is from Camden, Maine this afternoon with the SL & 24-90mm lens at f7.1.

L1020888_SL601_RMR_July_2017-Edit_FB.JPG

RMR

1 - 2 - 3....all in a row...
early morning at Rockland, Maine's harba (eh, excuse me Harbor)...

SL, 24-90mm Vario SL at 67mm, f4.5, iso 400, 1/4000 sec

L1020916_SL601_RMR_July_2017-Edit_FB.jpg

scott kirkpatrick

Re: More on T lenses with the Leica SL

I'm now exploring the APO Vario-Elmar 55-135 T lens. It's really sharp, has reasonable but not exceptional AF performance, and is available at low prices new or in mint condition used. (I've got mine brought up to the latest T firmware level, 1.61. Others have had some problems with it, using copies at unknown firmware levels that "just work.") Here are some stills, just 10K pixels, but fine for Flickr viewing:

R1000671 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

R1000689 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and a "brick wall shot" as a sharpness test:

R1000682 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

scott

EXIF available if you click thru to Flickr

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
The first comment on that post is from a very surprised Steffen Skoop, the Leica SL-System Product Manager. The Leica Rumors post is news to him.

/shrug

Matt

vieri

Glencoe's Sisters

Glencoe's "Three Sisters" are a majestic series of three peaks on the south side of the Glen. You can see two of them in this photo.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

waterden

Re: Glencoe's Sisters

Glencoe's "Three Sisters" are a majestic series of three peaks on the south side of the Glen. You can see two of them in this photo.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri
This is a wonderful photograph. Is it cropped? What are these Firecrest filters?