The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

vieri

Re: Glencoe's Sisters

This is a wonderful photograph. Is it cropped? What are these Firecrest filters?
Thank you very much, I am glad you enjoyed it. Yes, I cropped it from the native 3:2 ratio to 4:3, which I much prefer most of the times for vertical landscapes. Firecrest filters are the top of the line Formatt-Hitech filters, and are in my opinion the best on the market, most transparent and most neutral. You can see my compared test here:

https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/07/best-filters-landscape-photography-review.html

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Preparing to test APO-Macro-120 S on my SL

I recently ordered a deeply discounted, used 120 S Macro available at a price that I could afford even when the cost of the SL-adapter S is added in. The MTF specs on that lens, especially considering that I will use only the center portion, are incredible, and the few reviews I could find support that assessment. But I couldn't help wondering if the difference between this new super-lens and my best existing lenses, an APO-Macro-Elmarit-R 100/2.8 and the Zeiss APO-Makro-Planar T* 120/4, both of which had excellent reputations in their respective eras, will be apparent. So today I got the Zeiss 120 and the Hasselblad 500 C/M that it lives on off their shelf, attached a PhaseOne digital back and gave them some work to do. The back has a CCD 33x44 mm chip with the same pixel pitch as the SL (if you scale its 39 MPx down to the chip size of the SL, you would have 24 MPx), so here's a picture that I put up for future comparison with other lenses.

CF001228 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

And for fun, here's a shot of the current state of progress on our 20-minutes-to-the-airport fast train. It still has about 6 km, one more bridge and one more tunnel to go before they can drive in a golden spike and open the service, but only the rails remain to be put in.

CF001251 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The last shot was 1 sec@f/11. It was dark in there.

scott

vieri

Blue hour at Mesquite Dunes

Beautiful Mesquite Dunes, in Death Valley (USA), are always a great source of inspiration for me and lend themselves to long exposure abstract images perfectly.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

vieri

Primordial Elgol, Isle of Skye.

Elgol, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, is an enchanting location offering many inspiring corners and possibilities.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

DaveS

Vieri your images are always inspiring to me. Also that 15mm seems like a good match with the SL!

Thanks

Dave

vieri

Vieri your images are always inspiring to me. Also that 15mm seems like a good match with the SL!

Thanks

Dave
Hi Dave,

thank you very much for your message, much appreciated - I am glad that my work inspires you! About the 15mm, I love that little lens, it works fantastically well with the SL and once I removed its (nonsensical) lens hood it works perfectly well with filters as well ;) I really enjoy the different "look on the world" that its focal length affords, and it fast became one of my most used lenses.

Best regards,

Vieri

P.S. For lens hood removal, see: https://vieribottazzini.com/2016/08/surgery-voigtlander-super-wide-heliar-15mm-iii.html or, if you don't want to mess with something like this, there are adapters made by Vietnamese maker Bombo which work reasonably well (you can find them on Amazon US).

Robert Campbell

I don't normally do portraits — I guess it shows here — but my daughter needed a passport-size photo for some work-related benefit card. A very quick snap, 24-90 lens at 84mm, f/11, 1/125, LR adjustments for uneven lighting, cropped

vieri

Badwater sunset

Badwater, in Death Valley, and its amazing salt polygons are a sight to behold and offer never ending inspiration for different compositions.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm v. III, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

Last edited:

vieri

Old Harry's Rock, Dorset

Spectacular Old Harry's Rock, on Dorset's Jurassic Coast, at sunrise.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm, Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mark Mann shoots yours truly. It's a Leica T 11-23 lens on the SL, so "only" 11MP. (I remember the original Canon 1Ds).

--Matt

vieri

Sunrise at Quiraing on the Isle of Skye, last March during one of my Workshops on the Isle. Quiraing is a really enchanted place, where trees even grow horizontally out of hillsides :)

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards
Vieri

RMR

'SUNRISE AT WEST BEACH'.....
Set the alarm for 5am, get dressed, grab the camera and hop in the car. Three out of four weather apps are forecasting fog so I'm chasin' it! Do you see any fog in this photo taken moments before sunrise? It may not look like the fog I had hoped for but those rays are caused by thin areas of fog. Very cool. I'll take it..

Leica SL camera with 24-90mm lens at 36mm at f9 for 6 seconds with a 6 stop ND filter
L1050643_SL601_RMR_Sept_2017_FB.jpg

Godfrey

Today I found this tiny family of three mushrooms had moved into a planter in my living room:

Leica SL + Macro-Elmarit-R 60mm + 2x Extender-R
ISO 200 @ f/19 @ 4.5 sec

The "big" one is only three-quarters of an inch tall. :D

enjoy!
G

Thorkil

Sunrise at Quiraing on the Isle of Skye, last March during one of my Workshops on the Isle. Quiraing is a really enchanted place, where trees even grow horizontally out of hillsides :)

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards
Vieri
Spectacular !!! :thumbs:
best Thorkil

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Mark Mann shoots yours truly. It's a Leica T 11-23 lens on the SL, so "only" 11MP. (I remember the original Canon 1Ds).

--Matt
In fairness, I took this of him and his son... (He processed it, though...) 90-280@260mm wide open.

:)

Matt

vieri

Fairy Pools sunset, Isle of Skye

Sunset at the Fairy Pools, on the Isle of Skye in Scotland, taken during one of my 2017 Workshops on the Isle.

Vieri

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Rust and ruins around Kos

R1010299 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

R1010355 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Turkey's just a few miles away, the refugees who were arriving at a rate of 100 or more per day at this beach have stopped coming because of deals made at a higher level, but the remains of earlier fortifications and a current military base or two are still evident. I guess money is still very tight, as earthquake damage is taking some time to get cleaned up, and dead machines and unfinished buildings are not hard to find.

Album of normal happy-pix at https://www.flickr.com/gp/133969392@N05/vJ51tT

scott

vieri

Jetty, Dorset

Jetty, in Dorset.

Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Filters. Thanks for viewing, best regards

Vieri