The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

vieri

Being away from home for 1.5 months now, leading Workshops non-stop since September! Today we were talking with the guys about Iceland's cold vs Scotland's cold, and this image came to mind. Jokulsarlon at sunset, taken in December 2017 with Leica SL, Leica Super-Elmar-M 21mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

JoelM

Since we're in the Digital Forum, it never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the clarification. I guess the CL could be classified as well. :)

Joel

pegelli

Since we're in the Digital Forum, it never even crossed my mind. Thanks for the clarification. I guess the CL could be classified as well. :)

Joel
You're right on both counts

But it strongly depends on the person starting the thread :toocool:

vieri

Durdle Door

Next week I'll be again working in Dorset, and this image (taken there during a Workshop One-on-One last December) came to my mind. This is the famous Durdle Door, but the sky that evening inspired me to go for a very long exposure, 200 seconds for a very dramatic B&W. Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm Super-Wide-Heliar and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

scott kirkpatrick

A little repohotographic exercise

Took this pic in January 2002 with my then-mighty 5 MPx Nikon Coolpix 5000:

1021021.DSCN0196 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The building with its curved front produced 7 of me, 6 of daughter Luli, (then 5), and 4 of son Tom, then 2. The building is getting bigger, and I've figured out where to stand. Here are 21 of me:

S1030089 Panorama by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

SL 16-35@24, three shot pano. The kids? Off in the army but still in the general area.

pegelli

Re: A little repohotographic exercise

The building is getting bigger, and I've figured out where to stand.
Nice shooting Scott :thumbup:

Next to noting how much bigger the building got (in the shot) I mostly noted how much greener and bigger all the trees in front of the buildings in the background now are.

scott kirkpatrick

Nice shooting Scott :thumbup:

Next to noting how much bigger the building got (in the shot) I mostly noted how much greener and bigger all the trees in front of the buildings in the background now are.
I'll have to go back in late January and see if our trees get bare enough to make the difference. The older shot was taken Jan 22, 2002, and that might have been one of the winters when we had a good snowstorm.

pegelli

I'll have to go back in late January and see if our trees get bare enough to make the difference. The older shot was taken Jan 22, 2002, and that might have been one of the winters when we had a good snowstorm.
The colour might indeed be a seasonal effect, but I think the size difference is quite striking, there's hardly a trunk or branch in front of the buildings in the first image and even without leaves you would see that in the second.
But it also seems the building is different. For instance in the first image all the windows are about the same size, while in the second image the first row above the door is about half height. There's other differences as well.

scott kirkpatrick

But it also seems the building is different. In the first image all the windows are about the same size, while in the second image the first row above the door is about half height.
I think they built an entirely new curtain wall, with new glass and the doors in different locations, but following the original contours. The second floor is new. Remember that the great big building complex in the first picture is one set of buildings, broken up and replayed multiple times with offsets. Very cubist. I'm inside the center of the circle in the first picture, on center in the second, so the buildings don't expand as much.

PeterA

I'm really enjoying making happy snaps with the 50 lux on the SL - has surpassed my expectations in every aspect of IQ and even autofocus - also helping me build up some muscle -:)

Robert Campbell

Re: A harsh judgement for such an innocuous flower

So how do soletus and obsoletus relate to the english word "obsolete?"
The English word 'obsolete' is derived from 'obsoletus', but the meaning seems to have changed over the years. Today, 'obsolete' carries the connotation of 'worn out' or 'past its best'; older meanings are 'archaic' or just 'old'. Here, it might mean that this narcissus was native to the area, an 'original'. What the difference between the soletus and obsoletus varieties, if any, is obscure; it might just be plantsman's lingo.