The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

scott kirkpatrick

Re: A harsh judgement for such an innocuous flower

So how do soletus and obsoletus relate to the english word "obsolete?"

-----
Here, it might mean that this narcissus was native to the area, an 'original'. What the difference between the soletus and obsoletus varieties, if any, is obscure; it might just be plantsman's lingo.
Where have you seen an N. soletus pictured? I did some Googling, came up with a very exhaustive study of daffodil morphology, using ultrametric Bayesian statistics (you may laugh, but this is really something I am familiar with in a quite different field of physical science) to analyze 42 of the supposed 60-80 species found around the Mediterranean. One leaf of the resulting tree was N. Obsoletus, but no Soletus.

scott kirkpatrick

Re: Fun with the Leica SL (digital) as an aps-C camera

I'm trying to zero in on correct exposure for a light show that uses all the strands of our Calatrava "harp bridge," using the CL 11-23 on my SL because my objective is to capture the show in a short video. Not quite there yet, but it is quite a show.

S1030139AR by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

S1030124AR by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

I get a better color rendering at the moment (for this peculiar camera/lens/lights combo) with AccuRaw (the examples above) than with Capture One. I've submitted a bug report to see what is happening.

Last edited:

Robert Campbell

Re: A harsh judgement for such an innocuous flower

Where have you seen an N. soletus pictured? I did some Googling, came up with a very exhaustive study of daffodil morphology, using ultrametric Bayesian statistics (you may laugh, but this is really something I am familiar with in a quite different field of physical science) to analyze 42 of the supposed 60-80 species found around the Mediterranean. One leaf of the resulting tree was N. Obsoletus, but no Soletus.
As usual, I can't remember where I found the info, though I certainly found it somewhere: and a Google search doesn't bring up any obvious answer now. There is at least one site in Spanish that refers to it. I'm beginning to think that N soletus and obsoletus are the same plant. There are even sub-varieties of obsoletus to confuse me even further.

MGrayson

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Sometimes you're just sitting on the living room sofa, drinking coffee, reading getDPI, and you notice some orchids on a nearby table, and you just happen to have an SL with 90-280 sitting next to you.... BTW, the orchids are a VERY deep purple/magenta, so it was easy to do a high-key treatment, as everything else naturally went white.

--Matt

Last edited:

PeterA

Sometimes you're just sitting on the living room sofa, drinking coffee, reading getDPI, and you notice some orchids on a nearby table, and you just happen to have an SL with 90-280 sitting next to you.... BTW, the orchids are a VERY deep purple/magenta, so it was easy to do a high-key treatment, as everything else naturally went white.

--Matt
beautiful

PeterA

I bought a CL in order to act as a TC for my 90-280 yesterday. This image was shot through a dirty window(it has been raining and very windy down here in Sydney) you can see the wind ruffling the baby feathers on a baby Cockatoo and his mate who decided to perch on our balcony and stare at our cat who was making her usual hunting noises insisting I let her out to shoo these pesky intruders away - very funny. Twilight and shade and unfamiliarity with the 'teleconvertor' and couldn't be bothered doing to much post processing to try and make up for many technical flaws in shot. Still I think the 'effective' focal length increase to 420MM will give some extra reach and more use out of this fantastic lens.

Cheers
Pete

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello Pete

You use a very nice font with your images . Can you please give me the name if the font you used for your image " Hello Cocky " . I used to make calendars for the past 15 years and therefore used a lot
of different fonts . But I don't have the one you use . Thank you . Jürgen .

PeterA

Hello Pete

You use a very nice font with your images . Can you please give me the name if the font you used for your image " Hello Cocky " . I used to make calendars for the past 15 years and therefore used a lot
Hi Jurgen

the font name is 'Marydale' - there are other similar fonts to this like comic sans/chalkboard/papyrus - it may be an Adobe font from Adobe font pack if I recall correctly.

atb
Pete

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hello Pete

Hello Pete

Thanks for your reply .:thumbs: I will try to download the font(s) this on the weekend .

Robert Campbell

vieri

A different Vestrahorn sunset

Sunset at Vestrahorn, in Iceland, a location offering much more than the famous mountain’s silhouette to those willing to explore it. Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for watching, best regards

Vieri

vieri

Bat's Head

Bat's Head, taken at sunset last February during a Workshop I led in Dorset, UK. Leica SL, Leica Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90mm and Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri