The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the Leica SL (digital)

ropo54

I am extremely interested in the SL to use with the S and CS lenses I already have. How is the shooting experience with the SL using S lenses? Pros? Cons/ Thanks. - Marc
Marc:

I am quite happy with the S lenses. I have used the 35, 70, and 120. The autofocus is slower with the S lenses than with the SL lenses, but I am able to achieve better focus using the toggle, can take advantage in bright sun of the ISO of 50. Additionally, it 'changes' the lenses to their true 35, 70, and 120 focal lengths (as compared to when used on the S007), so one picks up 3 exceptional primes for the SL.

The SL is a bit more nimble, size-wise, than the S, as well.

I would add that the images are beautiful, the colors are great, but they do not have the same feel as images from the SL lenses. A different but beautiful character to the images. Perhaps not so biting in contrast as the SL? Hopefully looking at the examples I have posted will give you an idea. Not "better" not "worse" but very natural and smooth (whatever that means!) Very nice bokeh, too.

Here's one with the SL and S 120.

The adapter is a bit pricey, but pre-owned S lenses can be found at some exceptional prices. The lenses are big, more in line with the SL 24-90, but, again, what they add to the SL 601 for their prices is well worth it, IMO.

Regards,
Rob

Attachments

Last edited:

vieri

Poggio Covili sunrise

A serene and spectacular sunrise at Poggio Covili, created during a Workshop One-on-One I led in Tuscany (Italy) in November 2017. Leica SL, Vario-Elmarit-SL 90-280 and the wonderful Formatt Hitech Filters.

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri

vieri

Castel Boccale, Tuscany, in B&W

The imposing Castel Boccale, a castle hanging on a rocky outcrop overlooking the Mediterranean on the shores of Tuscany, in Italy. A 75 second long exposure taken with Leica SL, Voigtlander 15mm Super Wide-Heliar and my trusted Formatt-Hitech Firecrest Ultra filters during a Workshop One-on-One in led in Tuscany. I can't wait to be back there in April! :)

Thank you for viewing, best regards

Vieri