Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You all need to go to the beach on a hot summer day. Than if you say this is still sexy I'm sending a white padded truck for ya. Lol

You all lost it. ROTFLMAO
    I expect that Peter has a different definition of "sexy" for machinery (a subsidiary and very inferior version in my case) . . . . Still, the Boxster and a Leica R8 certainly qualify - the jury is out on the SL as far as I'm concerned . . . . Beach sexy is quite a different species

Just this guy you know
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    I expect that Peter has a different definition of "sexy" for machinery (a subsidiary and very inferior version in my case) . . . . Still, the Boxster and a Leica R8 certainly qualify - the jury is out on the SL as far as I'm concerned . . . . Beach sexy is quite a different species
    Now by the term "Boxster" do you refer to the SL? Just kidding.

Frankly, it's the images a camera can produce that makes a camera sexy to me.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Rather than "sexy", "beautiful" is the word I would use, but I think we all know what Peter was getting at. Some cameras just look so good, it's hard not to stare, fondle them and dare I say it...drool over them. When they feel as good and natural in your hands as they look, when the camera works to near perfection, it's even better.

Beauty is to some great measure in the eye of the beholder. While I like the look and concept of the new SL, I'm not sure if it falls into that category of beautiful cameras for me just yet. I love the Nikon F2, Leica R8/R9, Leica S and too many others to name here. I'll just add a photo of a few of my personal favorites, a trio of Swedish beauties...I'll be darned if they aren't almost "sexy". :-)

And since this is a Leica thread.....one of my favorites, the R8 with motordrive. :-)

Gary

Last edited by bensonga; 3rd November 2015 at 17:46.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

SL sexy, no. Its utilitarian.
    If it were a kitchen implement it would be cake mixer. hmmm, cake, now I am hungry.
    It improves when a lens is mounted as that hides some of the body.

IMO the Leica X1/X2 is more sexy to look at.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Rather than "sexy", "beautiful" is the word I would use, but I think we all know what Peter was getting at. Some cameras just look so good, it's hard not to stare, fondle them and dare I say it...drool over them. When they feel as good and natural in your hands as they look, when the camera works to near perfection, it's even better.

Beauty is to some great measure in the eye of the beholder. While I like the look and concept of the new SL, I'm not sure if it falls into that category of beautiful cameras for me just yet. I love the Nikon F2, Leica R8/R9, Leica S and too many others to name here. I'll just add a photo of a few of my personal favorites, a trio of Swedish beauties...I'll be darned if they aren't almost "sexy". :-)

Gary

"Almost Sexy"? Seriously?? Gary when is a trio of Swedish beauties not simply outright Sexy? (OK maybe if you are refering to a trio of Swedish meatballs...LOL)

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Machinery sexy rather than beach sexy...here's my take. It can't be machinery sexy unless it's got tactile appeal. I've just had a fondle and it's seriously sexy. It feels absolutely right. I've got big hands and it feels very similar to my Alpa STC with a handgrip on it. It's also a complete weapon, you know that a single tap with the SL will see off any assailant. It is nothing like the Sony which feels cheap, too small and too flimsy by comparison. With the zoom lens it's remarkably well balanced but so heavy. I like it...a lot, in the same way as I like film Ms a lot. Pity about the AUD$11K price tag.

Post Thanks / Like

The day I think of machinery as sexy will be the day I admit that I'm past it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    The day I think of machinery as sexy will be the day I admit that I'm past it.
    Try riding a Ducati
    La gallina vecchia fa buon brodo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't fondle anything that can't fondle me back. And I don't get romantically entangled with my cameras.

Just in case, and for the avoidance of doubt, I don't fondle my Leica.
    Facebook www.facebook.com/paulashleyphotography
    Website www.paulashleyphotography.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    You all need to go to the beach on a hot summer day. Than if you say this is still sexy I'm sending a white padded truck for ya. Lol

You all lost it. ROTFLMAO
    Steve Huff is in Love, and he gives you a vey good look at it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qtcO2wnM0I

I also agree with the OP

The Sony A7 was widely trashed on it's announcement by those invested elsewhere.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm, I think I agree with Guy. I don't often disagree with Peter A on much, but I can't get my design eye to buy into this SL's over-all look.

I don't like my women, cars, or cameras to look boney, angular and slab sided.

I still think the S is one of the most beautiful cameras, but do not think this SL is a mini S ... at least not in design terms.

Frankly, it does look like a bigger Sony A7, which I also don't particularly think is an attractive industrial design.

Thank God the SL looks like it does ... it makes it easier to resist the expensive siren's song from Leica.

- Marc
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by uhoh7 View Post
    Steve Huff is in Love, and he gives you a vey good look at it:
    Oh no! Now you've spoiled the surprise for us!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Brian

Post Thanks / Like

I still think that the S is much more sexy than the SL, but maybe that's only me.

Having said that, I meanwhile got used to the SL look and although I do not find it sexy by any means, for me it looks and feels very functional, great in hand and a dream to shoot - which is what is sexy

Well, sex sells!
    Life is an ever changing journey
    http://photography.tomsu.eu/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/peter_...tography/sets/

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Mosley View Post
    Oh no! Now you've spoiled the surprise for us!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Brian
    I know, He's always amped about everything, but in the case of the SL, he was quite negative about it to begin with, when he made a story a few weeks ago.

I think it is very interesting in the video to see all those various cameras--the ones we are most interested in, next to each other, from RX1 to SL

Post Thanks / Like

What does it matter how it looks? From the comparisons on dpreview it's an obvious non performer. Reminds me of a Sony Blad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    What does it matter how it looks? From the comparisons on dpreview it's an obvious non performer. Reminds me of a Sony Blad.
    Oh yes, the last word in testing, DPR. They certainly are great at making cameras look crappy. Their "first look" at the Sony A7 a case in point.

By all means ignore the photography by many strong reviewers, and let's base our opinion on a site which could never manage a full review of the M9 at all.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hope you all know I was joking as I have not seen this thing in person yet. I just don't view cameras as sexy, there just tools to me. Now cars maybe a different thing . Lol

I'm a little over 40 years jaded on cameras. All I want is for them to work the way I think. Well that will never happen but you get the idea.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    If I believed the reviews on DPR were actually true reflections of reality for even one second, I would never have sold my Nikon F3.

G

Post Thanks / Like

All sexual preferences seem to have become respectable.

But can we agree it's a boy?

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

My favourite camera of all time (by far) is the XPan and my dream is to see a digital version of same because ( frankly) I can't be bothered going through the chemical development thing anymore and still have over a hundred rolls of undeveloped exposed film to do...
    the point of the photo above is to say that we all have our unique way of seeing and photography to me is an individual exercise of aesthetic - sometimes but not always appealing to other viewers...

for those of you who have taken some kind offence at my use of the 'hook' word "sexy" I don't apologise at all.
    for those of you who think I may be losing the plot describing a camera as being 'the sexiest thing Leica has ever made' I share your appreciation of both the M / R and S aesthetic I have owned all and except for R9 still do...
    my definition of sexy is something so beautiful that it draws me to wish to fondle...

beauty is in the eye of the beholder they say...note the sexy BP MP pictured above - very high fondle factor I can assure you all..

Photography for me is two part story one part is testing stuff all the time for myself because I am the only judge of what works for me and what doesn't..the second part is making and printing photographs - and I can't get excited about using cameras or lenses which I don't like holding/fondling - I can't dissociate the tactile sensations of the tool I am using from the actual process and I don't think that this is a particularly eccentric or strange way to be..

As for wether the SL is the sexiest camera Leica has ever made- well ....it is a landmark design in my eyes - and I look forward to hooking my M lenses on to it and not having to worry about back or front focus issues with my fast glass...I'll be posting photos when I get my SL early in the New Year- when they arrive down here.

-Pete
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post