The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The SL is the sexiest camera Leica have ever made.

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
This thread is totally out of hand.
Some folks like red wine, some white. I like all wine as long as it is not that bad.
If we cannot have a discussion that is civil without name calling we will not have a discussion.
This thread will be closed if the venom continues to drip.
-bob

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
OK I know I'm going to get smashed in hr for saying this...
Peter,

GETDPI is but a shadow of its previous self ... so many new new folks who
do not have sense of what made this the best site on the web for gentile,
collegial discussion and dissension.

And they reflect what seems to be a general coarsening of discourse in society
across the board...easier to do when one is in front of a monitor rather than in
one's home or on one's porch.

Me....give me a Sinar M, Alpa TC, Linhoff 617s II, or a Mamiya 6 or 7 ... simple lenses
minimal fluff....

But I get it and it will be a great addition to your S camera.

Doubt that anyone gave Vivian Maier a second glance ... and then her negatives
tell a different reality.

Any camera that is loved understood and wielded with great skill is an objet de desire.

And I know that you will find its right place or will supplant it with something yet more
desirable.

Look forward to seeing this play out .... not the discussion ... the pictures forthcoming.

Regards,

Bob

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Besides great optical qualities, Leica has always made cameras that are simplistic in their design and functionality. Some people, myself included, find that a very attractive feature. Sexy? Yes, why not?

However, since taste vary, simplification snobs like myself will often be seen upon with suspicion by those who have a different view or taste. I have taken it a bit further: I don't even need to own a Leica, and never have, to enjoy the genius of the design and functionality of the cameras. For me, it's the unobtainable dream, and maybe it's best that way. Encountering the divine in real life doesn't always live up to ones imagination.

So I stay with my ugly Nikons, and the images I make with those are probably just as good or bad as those that I would have taken with the übercamera.

D&A

Not to be sexist or anything but doesn't "SL" stand for " Sexy Lady"?

To be fair though I believe a companion camera will be released next year designated "SM"! :). Of course it will be the lesser of the two cameras with only 16MP. At least thats what all the woman photographers I know told me....LOL.

I always felt the R8/R9 was aesthetically a form follow function body and its lines were extremely attractive. The S body is somewhat similar. I don't though find thr same pleasing lines in the SL. Different yes, but not what I would say unusually attractive.

As they say beauty is in the eye of thr beholder.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Godfrey

So I stay with my ugly Nikons, and the images I make with those are probably just as good or bad as those that I would have taken with the übercamera.
Aw, come'on Jorgen. My F is sniffling now. ]'-)

G

"No matter where you go, there you are."

D&A

Bob, in all seriousness you are so right. Beauty is skin deep and the cameras throughout the years that made the most indelible mark on my enjoyment and creativity, were those that I made a connection with. In film bodies it was generally the way they handled and sort of disappeared in use. With digital it was that and more amd the look of the resulting files plays an equally important role.

So many variables and like a fine wine or ones partner in life, we all look and view things differently.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

Lars

Ah... but there are some pretty Nikons around too, Godfrey; The F6, the F3 and earlier, the F6, the D2X... did I mention the F6?
F5 and F6 are my Nikon favorites from a design perspective, Pininfarina did a great job there. Nowadays they are... less pretty.

Godfrey

Ah... but there are some pretty Nikons around too, Godfrey; The F6, the F3 and earlier, the F6, the D2X... did I mention the F6?
Yes, you did mention the F6 ... But I have to make the F feel better and do a beauty shot or two of it tomorrow. :)

G

Godfrey

F5 and F6 are my Nikon favorites from a design perspective, Pininfarina did a great job there. Nowadays they are... less pretty.
The F4 and F5 didn't appeal to me so much from a design perspective, but the F6 is simply outstanding in every particular. It is only in the context of how nice the F6 is that the D750 seems a little disappointing, despite how good a camera it is by itself.

The R8/R9, on the other hand, are so near to perfect when it comes to ergonomics and viewfinder quality that they are at the top of my film SLR list. And to think that I was able to get a nearly unused R8 body for less than $200 last year—it was almost theft.

G

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member

scott kirkpatrick

Looking at the pictures of the voluptuous, overdesigned F4, F5 and F6 makes me long for my old F (but not the FTN), loaned long ago and now lost.

scott

P.S> C'mon Godfrey, do it right and post a picture of a well-loved Nikon F.

algrove

Back to the topic of the OP. If the SL is sexy, then the Sony A7 series cameras must also be sexy since front on they look about the same except for obvious company markings/logos.