The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

turtle

For those of you who have upgraded to the M246 Monochrom from the Mk1 M9 based camera, how are you getting along? Pleased, delighted, ambivalent, or regretful?

In particular, how are you getting on with image quality, files in post processing, the look of the files (low ISO and high ISO), resolution, 12 bit concerns? After time to get used to the new camera and files, what conclusions have you drawn?

erudolph

In general I'm between pleased and delighted -

I miss the body-feel of the MM1 but the 246's OVF gives more accurate results.

To answer the PP part of the question, the 246 requires less work, much less. In fact, since I enjoy post-production, I am often disappointed when the image out of camera into LR 6 often requires little more than the application of a medium tone curve...:)

Other parts of your question I leave to more technically adept photographers.

algrove

+1 to Ed's comments except I am delighted to have the same platform (especially the EVF, battery and MF grip) as my M-P. Friends say that my images look less processed with the M246 than the MM1.

Size who cares. Minimal deal to me.

Last edited:

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hoping someone would ask ....

Since I received mine yesterday and it has been a while since I had the MM1 I can say that it is nice
to have a real camera in hand again ... :cool:

12 bit no big deal with Monochrom plenty of data to make some amazing files ... a little less harsh than the
original ... but the past two days have been overcast and not too challenging. Resolution is just right maybe a
bit less sharpness than the MM1 ... not overly sharp and clinical. I have not done much over 1250 ISO equivalent
so no sense for high ISO files ... not my thing as I am usually in bed by 900PM and up early.

BUT ... whats a thread without pictures.

Leica Mono Type 246 VC 35 1.4 SC

Well ... hope it is obvious that I am very pleased with the camera ... now I need to tripod mount the camera to my
two Oti.....

Regards,

Bob

erudolph

Good idea Bob, here are some images, various lenses. No noise reduction.

ISO 3200 lens not selected

ISO 4000 50mm Summicron AA

ISO 5000 VM 15mm f/4.5 v3

ISO 6400 50mm Summicron AA

ISO 8000 35mm Summilux FLE (this one had LR noise reduction)

D&A

Ed, I assume these shots were taken with the M246? Thanks.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

I have had the M246 now for 4 months. I had the MM for 3 years.

I am overall pleased with the choice to change from the MM to the M246, but with a few caveats. While I like the new shutter and build of the 246, and have adjusted to the slower start up speed, I liked the feel of the MM just fine. Files process quite differently, in my opinion. The M246 renders a "creamier" look (almost like it has more IR sensitivity, as skin tones glow a bit more), that does well with modern glass, while the MM seems to render a harder look that works very well with older glass.

The M246 seems to have a cleaner file for a given ISO, and it takes a bit more sharpening to have the M246 files pop. I got very used to the MM and put many many images on it, so I am biased by that experience, but I do feel that the MM files at first render with a bit more pop than the M246 (similar-ish to the M240/M9 differene), but the M246 files end up having a bit more richness as well, and ISO's can be pushed comfortably to ISO 6400 (compared to ISO 3200-5000 on the MM).

What's also interesting to me as the M246 files seem to be less responsive to the B/W Light/Dark sliders in LR, so it takes a different effort to make things work well. But I am still learning much about the 246, enough that I have not posted many shots with it so far...though I have taken my share.

I have also noted that it's a bit more challenging to easily hand hold to 246 compared to the MM and get a pristine/sharp image...maybe a weight thing or an 18 vs 24 mp factor....

Ultimately, I have found that the MM would be my choice if I were an old glass guy (Leitz glass), and the M246 seems more tuned to performing well with newer glass.

I feel that I was able to coax a bit more out of the MM than the M246, but that being said, I have a long way to go with the 246, and the journey is only beginning for me, in many ways....

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
What's also interesting to me as the M246 files seem to be less responsive to the B/W Light/Dark sliders in LR, so it takes a different effort to make things work well. But I am still learning much about the 246, enough that I have not posted many shots with it so far...though I have taken my share.
Ashwin,

Thorsten O states that the last rendition of the develop process in LR is better for the 246 ... there is a marked difference ... but I am not sure that it is
insurmountable. You might try the 2010 process and see if it makes a difference.

David Farkas has upped his sharpening for the M246 a lot ... I have move mine up and it never is objectionable ... never crunchy.

Creamy and glow is good ... just need to find the process to make it work.

Bob

algrove

On many shots I double my sharpening on the M246 versus what I used to do with the MM1 without over doing it. I am not so lens specific in my appraoch so I find the older glass that I have used so far to be just fine on the M246.

erudolph

FWIW, with the 246 I reduce sharpening from its LR profile for this camera. Also, I'll often use a small negative clarity value (-2 or -3).

jffielde

I'm completely happy with the switch from the MM to the M246. It took me awhile to come around to swap to the M240 from the M9, but it was worth it. When I look back now at my randomized portfolio, I generally pick the M240 files as my favorites. My preference for the M9 wore off over the first year or so of use of the M240, but it was significant early on.

With the M246, it's a slam dunk in favor of the new camera (for me, of course). Your preference may vary. All of the extras are nice (battery, speed, screen, etc), but the IQ was to my preference on the first day. The images are more "finished" out of the camera for me with a little more contrast. Sharpness is a wash, tonality is a wash or slightly favoring the M246, High ISO performance is amazing. I shoot the MM at no more than 3200. I shoot the M246 at 12,800. It's a full two stops for me and the dynamic range holds up longer.

My only complaint is that I would prefer the size of the M9 or better yet the M6. I also learned that I will never have different body designs for the color and B&W Leica. Along with my DSLR, I just can't keep three bodies straight. I will only upgrade the M240 and M246 in pairs in the future.

The MM was my favorite camera of all time. The M246 is now.

jlm

Workshop Member
pretty much agree with Aswhin,
from the M9 version, 75mm cron, varying light conditions, all processed in capture one; i make a toe/shoulder curve and add a bit of clarity, and am shooting with a yellow filter

and the cmos, same lens:

Last edited:

D&A

Jim, I'm only viewing on a cell phone at the moment, but I much prefer your original MM images in this set of images, especially the tonality. I realize its subjective and is dependant on lighting, subject matter and post processing as much as anything else. I've had the chance to work with both monochroms and like yourself agree with Ashwins fine assessment and comparison of the two.

By the way, in that last shot, is that gentleman holding a prototype of the future 3rd generation of Leica monochrom?its size is in line with new SL :).

Dave

V

Vivek

I think it is more like 5th gen. One that will spit out the captured image as a print.

Given the current atmosphere here, I will not give my opinion.

turtle, PM me if you wish to hear mine.

Chris C

.....Given the current atmosphere here, I will not give my opinion. .....
Vivek – Please do if it is pertinent to the thread. I will read it; and might find it interesting. Grownups will consider disagreeable as well as agreeable posts.

I missed any 'atmosphere' in this thread, [or maybe you meant this forum in general?].

.............. Chris

turtle

The atmosphere in this threads seems pretty good to me - after all, those commenting have owned both the MM1 and MM2. I'd certainly keen to hear Vivek's opinion.