Site Sponsors

Thread: How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

Post Thanks / Like

How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

For those of you who have upgraded to the M246 Monochrom from the Mk1 M9 based camera, how are you getting along? Pleased, delighted, ambivalent, or regretful?

In particular, how are you getting on with image quality, files in post processing, the look of the files (low ISO and high ISO), resolution, 12 bit concerns? After time to get used to the new camera and files, what conclusions have you drawn?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: How R U former MM1 and now M246 Shooters Getting Along?

In general I'm between pleased and delighted -

I miss the body-feel of the MM1 but the 246's OVF gives more accurate results.

To answer the PP part of the question, the 246 requires less work, much less. In fact, since I enjoy post-production, I am often disappointed when the image out of camera into LR 6 often requires little more than the application of a medium tone curve...

Other parts of your question I leave to more technically adept photographers.
    Ed
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

+1 to Ed's comments except I am delighted to have the same platform (especially the EVF, battery and MF grip) as my M-P. Friends say that my images look less processed with the M246 than the MM1.

Size who cares. Minimal deal to me.
    Last edited by algrove; 5th November 2015 at 16:54.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Hoping someone would ask ....

Since I received mine yesterday and it has been a while since I had the MM1 I can say that it is nice
    to have a real camera in hand again ...

12 bit no big deal with Monochrom plenty of data to make some amazing files ... a little less harsh than the
    original ... but the past two days have been overcast and not too challenging. Resolution is just right maybe a
    bit less sharpness than the MM1 ... not overly sharp and clinical. I have not done much over 1250 ISO equivalent
    so no sense for high ISO files ... not my thing as I am usually in bed by 900PM and up early.

BUT ... whats a thread without pictures.

Leica Mono Type 246 VC 35 1.4 SC

Well ... hope it is obvious that I am very pleased with the camera ... now I need to tripod mount the camera to my
    two Oti.....

Regards,

Bob
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Good idea Bob, here are some images, various lenses. No noise reduction.

ISO 3200 lens not selected

ISO 4000 50mm Summicron AA

ISO 5000 VM 15mm f/4.5 v3

ISO 6400 50mm Summicron AA

ISO 8000 35mm Summilux FLE (this one had LR noise reduction)
    Ed
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Ed, I assume these shots were taken with the M246? Thanks.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 6th November 2015 at 03:26.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes, all taken with the Type 246.
    Ed

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by erudolph View Post
    Yes, all taken with the Type 246.
    Thanks Ed...impressive images!

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    Thanks Ed...impressive images!

Dave (D&A)

Agreed. Great shots, Ed!
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I have had the M246 now for 4 months. I had the MM for 3 years.

I am overall pleased with the choice to change from the MM to the M246, but with a few caveats. While I like the new shutter and build of the 246, and have adjusted to the slower start up speed, I liked the feel of the MM just fine. Files process quite differently, in my opinion. The M246 renders a "creamier" look (almost like it has more IR sensitivity, as skin tones glow a bit more), that does well with modern glass, while the MM seems to render a harder look that works very well with older glass.

The M246 seems to have a cleaner file for a given ISO, and it takes a bit more sharpening to have the M246 files pop. I got very used to the MM and put many many images on it, so I am biased by that experience, but I do feel that the MM files at first render with a bit more pop than the M246 (similar-ish to the M240/M9 differene), but the M246 files end up having a bit more richness as well, and ISO's can be pushed comfortably to ISO 6400 (compared to ISO 3200-5000 on the MM).

What's also interesting to me as the M246 files seem to be less responsive to the B/W Light/Dark sliders in LR, so it takes a different effort to make things work well. But I am still learning much about the 246, enough that I have not posted many shots with it so far...though I have taken my share.

I have also noted that it's a bit more challenging to easily hand hold to 246 compared to the MM and get a pristine/sharp image...maybe a weight thing or an 18 vs 24 mp factor....

Ultimately, I have found that the MM would be my choice if I were an old glass guy (Leitz glass), and the M246 seems more tuned to performing well with newer glass.

I feel that I was able to coax a bit more out of the MM than the M246, but that being said, I have a long way to go with the 246, and the journey is only beginning for me, in many ways....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    What's also interesting to me as the M246 files seem to be less responsive to the B/W Light/Dark sliders in LR, so it takes a different effort to make things work well. But I am still learning much about the 246, enough that I have not posted many shots with it so far...though I have taken my share.
    Ashwin,

Thorsten O states that the last rendition of the develop process in LR is better for the 246 ... there is a marked difference ... but I am not sure that it is
    insurmountable. You might try the 2010 process and see if it makes a difference.

David Farkas has upped his sharpening for the M246 a lot ... I have move mine up and it never is objectionable ... never crunchy.

Creamy and glow is good ... just need to find the process to make it work.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On many shots I double my sharpening on the M246 versus what I used to do with the MM1 without over doing it. I am not so lens specific in my appraoch so I find the older glass that I have used so far to be just fine on the M246.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

FWIW, with the 246 I reduce sharpening from its LR profile for this camera. Also, I'll often use a small negative clarity value (-2 or -3).
    Ed
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'm completely happy with the switch from the MM to the M246. It took me awhile to come around to swap to the M240 from the M9, but it was worth it. When I look back now at my randomized portfolio, I generally pick the M240 files as my favorites. My preference for the M9 wore off over the first year or so of use of the M240, but it was significant early on.

With the M246, it's a slam dunk in favor of the new camera (for me, of course). Your preference may vary. All of the extras are nice (battery, speed, screen, etc), but the IQ was to my preference on the first day. The images are more "finished" out of the camera for me with a little more contrast. Sharpness is a wash, tonality is a wash or slightly favoring the M246, High ISO performance is amazing. I shoot the MM at no more than 3200. I shoot the M246 at 12,800. It's a full two stops for me and the dynamic range holds up longer.

My only complaint is that I would prefer the size of the M9 or better yet the M6. I also learned that I will never have different body designs for the color and B&W Leica. Along with my DSLR, I just can't keep three bodies straight. I will only upgrade the M240 and M246 in pairs in the future.

The MM was my favorite camera of all time. The M246 is now.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

pretty much agree with Aswhin,
    from the M9 version, 75mm cron, varying light conditions, all processed in capture one; i make a toe/shoulder curve and add a bit of clarity, and am shooting with a yellow filter

and the cmos, same lens:

Last edited by jlm; 7th November 2015 at 05:18.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I'm only viewing on a cell phone at the moment, but I much prefer your original MM images in this set of images, especially the tonality. I realize its subjective and is dependant on lighting, subject matter and post processing as much as anything else. I've had the chance to work with both monochroms and like yourself agree with Ashwins fine assessment and comparison of the two.

By the way, in that last shot, is that gentleman holding a prototype of the future 3rd generation of Leica monochrom?its size is in line with new SL .

Dave
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is more like 5th gen. One that will spit out the captured image as a print.

Given the current atmosphere here, I will not give my opinion.

turtle, PM me if you wish to hear mine.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe it's jono in disguise testing yet another secret leica protoype

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    .....Given the current atmosphere here, I will not give my opinion. .....
    Vivek – Please do if it is pertinent to the thread. I will read it; and might find it interesting. Grownups will consider disagreeable as well as agreeable posts.

I missed any 'atmosphere' in this thread, [or maybe you meant this forum in general?].

.............. Chris

Post Thanks / Like

The atmosphere in this threads seems pretty good to me - after all, those commenting have owned both the MM1 and MM2. I'd certainly keen to hear Vivek's opinion.
    Blog: http://www.thephotofundamentalist.com

https://www.facebook.com/thephotofundamentalist

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

vis a vis "the atmosphere"

i'm thinking vivek's post may refer more to the acrimony in the Fun with the SL thread
    Ed

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is correct, Ed.

Currently I have 3 (the count is correct) monochrome bodies. The MM, 2 debayered NEX-5Ns and a debayered Panasonic GX. The GX has a bit of a problem (result of debayering). The MM is with a CCD sensor (battery lasts forever) and the rest CMOS with live view.

The question to ask oneself is what if any makes the MM (1,2) special. If you adore RF the answer is super simple.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    Maybe it's jono in disguise testing yet another secret leica protoype
    Eh? What? Me?
    I think it might be a while before we have another Monochrom to test . . .but who knows?

I'm just rather humbled by how much work you guys put into the files - I treat every one differently (except the ones I delete - which is most of them).
    I prefer the new M246, but it's pretty marginal and it's functional rather than IQ based . . . .

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post

I prefer the new M246, but it's pretty marginal and it's functional rather than IQ based . . . .
    Likewise; the M240 and the M246 work in pretty much the same way, makes it much easier on the little grey cells.
    Sláinte

Robert.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Campbell View Post
    Likewise; the M240 and the M246 work in pretty much the same way, makes it much easier on the little grey cells.

The same if one works with tle M9 and MM1. In both senarios it makes things so much easier.

Dave (D&A).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Jim, I'm only viewing on a cell phone at the moment, but I much prefer your original MM images in this set of images, especially the tonality. I realize its subjective and is dependant on lighting, subject matter and post processing as much as anything else. I've had the chance to work with both monochroms and like yourself agree with Ashwins fine assessment and comparison of the two.

By the way, in that last shot, is that gentleman holding a prototype of the future 3rd generation of Leica monochrom?its size is in line with new SL .

Dave
    I was actually thinking the exact same thing. All of the images are good but I think the MM9 has a bit more to it in IQ compared to the M246 IMO from what I've seen so far on the outside looking in.
    Sony Visible Light & IR Photographer
    http://www.iiinelsonimages.com

Post Thanks / Like

Dave
    Now that cracked me up. Well said.

Post Thanks / Like

interesting thread. i sold an MM and M9 to consolidate my RF kit into an M240. i don't miss the M9 much after acclimating to the M240, but i do miss the MM. i think BW conversions from M240 files are quite nice, but i really liked the latitude of the MM files, in some ways like working with good scans of med format film.

i agree with the point that moving from the ccd to the cmos cameras is less about image quality and more about in-use experience. i just prefer shooting the M240 by a wide margin. i would like to add an M246 but $wise it's not in the cards.
    --Mike

My Flickr

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

so many variables in post processing; tough to make any definitive image quality comparisons. somehow i feel it was easier to get what i wanted with the M9 version, but i'm quite satisfied with the 246, just a slightly different post, and quite subjective and image dependent.

it is really about the features and extra pixels

Post Thanks / Like

A few more pictures from the M246 ...

Leica Monochrome M246 VC SC 35 F1.4

Thanks,

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

I like the photographs, especially the third; but is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

(Hard to tell from images on a monitor, rather than printed. So I have to ask!)

Kirk

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

pretty sure this is the 246, for skin tones:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashwinrao1 View Post
    I have had the M246 now for 4 months. I had the MM for 3 years.

I am overall pleased with the choice to change from the MM to the M246, but with a few caveats. While I like the new shutter and build of the 246, and have adjusted to the slower start up speed, I liked the feel of the MM just fine. Files process quite differently, in my opinion. The M246 renders a "creamier" look (almost like it has more IR sensitivity, as skin tones glow a bit more), that does well with modern glass, while the MM seems to render a harder look that works very well with older glass.

The M246 seems to have a cleaner file for a given ISO, and it takes a bit more sharpening to have the M246 files pop. I got very used to the MM and put many many images on it, so I am biased by that experience, but I do feel that the MM files at first render with a bit more pop than the M246 (similar-ish to the M240/M9 differene), but the M246 files end up having a bit more richness as well, and ISO's can be pushed comfortably to ISO 6400 (compared to ISO 3200-5000 on the MM).

I have also noted that it's a bit more challenging to easily hand hold to 246 compared to the MM and get a pristine/sharp image...maybe a weight thing or an 18 vs 24 mp factor....

Ultimately, I have found that the MM would be my choice if I were an old glass guy (Leitz glass), and the M246 seems more tuned to performing well with newer glass.

I feel that I was able to coax a bit more out of the MM than the M246, but that being said, I have a long way to go with the 246, and the journey is only beginning for me, in many ways....
    Hello Ashwin, for my 2cents worth my experiences are pretty much the same as yours. Meaning I also had a M9 Mono and shifted to the 246 and I think you are spot-on.

I also moved from the M9-P to the M-P 240 at the same time. I also agonised over the colour (like you and others), now I am quite happy, its just a bit different.

I do not think I would go back but would like the next M to be smaller and lighter...

One Old lens that does work well on the M246 is the 1963 Rigid summicron. One that is less successful on the M-P 240 and M246 than the M9-P and MM is the F1.0 Noctilux. On the older cameras I prfer it but I suspect the current f0.95 will be a better match for the newer cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my M246 this week. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. After I take a shot, it feels like the camera becomes unresponsive for a second or two intermittently.

Anyone ran into this?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    I like the photographs, especially the third; but is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

(Hard to tell from images on a monitor, rather than printed. So I have to ask!)

Kirk
    Kirk, its as though you read my mind as I was thinking much the same thing. Then again it must be remembered that not only preferences in how the files are post processed as well as the subjectivity of the technical aspects of B&W imagey, play an equally important role in how the final product is viewed.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

With respect to the files, my first reaction is that they look a bit different than the MM1 files and will take a little time to fully develop. At this point in time, I'm neutral on my MM1 to M246 transition.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    .. is something accomplished here, in terms of tonality, that would differ from MM files?

Kirk
    Tonality, perhaps and overall feel of the two cameras for me is somewhat different.

Forgive the following analogy ... might work. The M246 files remind me of Acros and the MM more of PlusX or TriX when pushed.
    M246 more like Diafine than Rodinal ... the pictures were an attempt to show that the spectrum of available tones is similar ... what
    gets my attention is the ability to manipulate the files without them seeming too processed. It is not just that you have to add more
    sharpening ... it is that you can do so and maintain a wonderful transparent feel to the end result ... edges just sharp enough without
    excessive bite or texture in the overall feel of the picture. This is a the low ISOs of the cameras ... I have not played with the M246 at
    highest ISO equivalents to discern if there is a tipping point that obviates my thoughts above.

I might add that it seems like the M246 is more like a print from a diffusion enlarger than that from a condenser enlarger. Somewhat flatter
    and in need of a bit more work with curves to add contrast.

Overexposure on the M246 is like a brick wall ... nothing to recover if the highlights are overexposed and the meter in camera does not always
    protect you from it occurring ... even a - 2/3 stop at times leaves one with burnt out sky in extreme areas. Pulling up shadows at lower ISO
    seems relatively safe in contrast to the highlights. But many times one will prefer the highlight to land at the limit or above if the scene is
    to appear as you envisioned it.

As Dave pointed out ... subjectivity and preference play a huge part in how the camera files will be processed ... it is great that we do
    have the ability to work with a neutral enough digital negative rather than accept a firmly baked in look from the start.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mikec View Post
    I just got my M246 this week. I haven't figured out what I'm doing wrong yet. After I take a shot, it feels like the camera becomes unresponsive for a second or two intermittently.

Anyone ran into this?
    Actually it sounds like a good description of me ... intermittently.

But just a guess ...

Sounds like either a slow SD Card or you have review on and it is slowing down perceived responsiveness.

You might try turning off image review and see if it makes a difference.

Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Here a file that was raised almost two stops in LR ...

Leica Monochrom Type 246 VC SC 35 F 1.4

And this with grain and tone added in post ...

Leica Monochrom Type 246 Zeiss Otus 85 ZF.2 1.4

Bob
    Last edited by docmoore; 15th November 2015 at 11:56.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Tonality, perhaps and overall feel of the two cameras for me is somewhat different.

Forgive the following analogy ... might work. The M246 files remind me of Acros and the MM more of PlusX or TriX when pushed.
    M246 more like Diafine than Rodinal ... the pictures were an attempt to show that the spectrum of available tones is similar ... what
    gets my attention is the ability to manipulate the files without them seeming too processed. It is not just that you have to add more
    sharpening ... it is that you can do so and maintain a wonderful transparent feel to the end result ... edges just sharp enough without
    excessive bite or texture in the overall feel of the picture. This is a the low ISOs of the cameras ... I have not played with the M246 at
    highest ISO equivalents to discern if there is a tipping point that obviates my thoughts above.

I might add that it seems like the M246 is more like a print from a diffusion enlarger than that from a condenser enlarger. Somewhat flatter
    and in need of a bit more work with curves to add contrast.

Overexposure on the M246 is like a brick wall ... nothing to recover if the highlights are overexposed and the meter in camera does not always
    protect you from it occurring ... even a - 2/3 stop at times leaves one with burnt out sky in extreme areas. Pulling up shadows at lower ISO
    seems relatively safe in contrast to the highlights. But many times one will prefer the highlight to land at the limit or above if the scene is
    to appear as you envisioned it.

As Dave pointed out ... subjectivity and preference play a huge part in how the camera files will be processed ... it is great that we do
    have the ability to work with a neutral enough digital negative rather than accept a firmly baked in look from the start.

Bob
    Bob, an excellent descriptive anology of some of the differences between the MM1 and M246. Like thr film snd developers tou described, often one has to choose what kind of look they are hoping to achieve, especially based on the subject matter. Often we look for "bite" and hard edges, other times a smooth and gentle tonality. Each of these monochroms like selective a particular B&W film will lean or be biased to one of these looks.

If we want a different look with one of these cameras, them ee have to try and make it work. In other words if one uses the MM1, the user will have to learn how to take the hard edge or higher contrast off thr image and likewise the opposite with the M246. Obviously each camera will excell at one or the other.

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 15th November 2015 at 18:10.

Post Thanks / Like

I was tempted to say that the MM and M246 are so similar in terms if IQ that its minute differences would be totally shadowed by the actual quality of the picture itself to be moot. But, I guess the reason we picked up a Monochrom in the first place is because we care about these tiny differences, otherwise we would just use the M240 to convert.

Never laid hands on a M246, but I'd venture a guess that the real differences are in the functionality of the cameras and the malleability of the files (LV, etc.), rather than real IQ. However the difference between MM and M246 would be less than that of M9 and M240. The difference in CCD vs CMOS would more more obvious in the color application IMO

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mmbma View Post
    I was tempted to say that the MM and M246 are so similar in terms if IQ that its minute differences would be totally shadowed by the actual quality of the picture itself to be moot. But, I guess the reason we picked up a Monochrom in the first place is because we care about these tiny differences, otherwise we would just use the M240 to convert.

Never laid hands on a M246, but I'd venture a guess that the real differences are in the functionality of the cameras and the malleability of the files (LV, etc.), rather than real IQ. However the difference between MM and M246 would be less than that of M9 and M240. The difference in CCD vs CMOS would more more obvious in the color application IMO
    The M246, on a brief use, seems to produce files that more resemble converted M240 files. The MM was more aggressive in terms of edge sharpness / acuity and the images had real "snap", whereas both the M246 and M240 seem a lot more similar in terms of being relatively smoother (and having more dynamic range).

I think the MM was an obvious step-up in B&W image quality over the M9 .... but I'm not sure the same can be said about converted M240s vs. M246? .... for example, many online reviews could see no major difference in resolution between the M240 and M246.

That was always a MAJOR surprise to me -- what's happening on the M246 that one cannot not see an obvious resolution benefit of it having no Bayer Filter (and recording just luminance values) over the M240?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post
    The M246, on a brief use, seems to produce files that more resemble converted M240 files. The MM was more aggressive in terms of edge sharpness / acuity and the images had real "snap", whereas both the M246 and M240 seem a lot more similar in terms of being relatively smoother (and having more dynamic range).

I think the MM was an obvious step-up in B&W image quality over the M9 .... but I'm not sure the same can be said about converted M240s vs. M246? .... for example, many online reviews could see no major difference in resolution between the M240 and M246.

That was always a MAJOR surprise to me -- what's happening on the M246 that one cannot not see an obvious resolution benefit of it having no Bayer Filter (and recording just luminance values) over the M240?

the m240 really is a one camera solves all solution for me. but the MM has a psychological appeal that one cannot deny.
    Truthfully I found I yield better photos from the m240 because of highlight recovery from color files vs fully blown on the monochom

Post Thanks / Like

Yet

The 246 can do this ...

https://vimeo.com/147254517

Password : daysend

Bob

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice Bob. Although I rarely shoot video, it obvious the 246 has some distinct advantages.

Dave (D&A)

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Warwick View Post

I think one of the questions that comes out of what you expressed is what advantahes (if any image wise) might the original MM have over the M246?

Dave (D&A)