The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica M[262]

scott kirkpatrick

I see in my email an announcement -- the rumor monitors who noticed that Leica had registered the trademark M[262] in Korea were right. From the material that is linked the idea is clear -- strip out the LV, strip out the video, forget the frame lever (sigh!) and reduce the price by 1000 EUR. Not such a bad idea. No ship date in the material that I linked to, or at least I didn't find it.

scott

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
DNG gives you any color space your Post Process could desire.

Top plate is aluminum ... bye bye brass.

Bob

Tony

The 12% off promotion they are currently running on some other cameras would make this 262 almost irresistible.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Would I be in the market for an M, this would be it. No longer need LV (since SL gives you all of video and LV you need), smaller and lighter body and cheaper - exactly what the M should have been from the beginning.

bradhusick

The M262 is a great announcement. If it's eligible for the discount it's a great deal.

Now if they made it a little thinner it would be very tasty. Keep going in this direction, Leica!

Hosermage

As an holdout who still use the M9, I would definitely get this instead of the M240. I guess the frankenfinder will still have its use!

Oren Grad

From the press release:

For maximum discretion when shooting, the Leica M (Typ 262) shutter is barely audible – an invaluable advantage in situations where the photographer needs to remain unobtrusive. As an aid to this, the camera features a shutter cocking system that is considerably quieter in single exposure mode than that of the M (Typ 240), and enables a shutter release frequency of up to two frames per second.

For my taste, this is a worthwhile improvement.

V

Vivek

From the press release:

For maximum discretion when shooting, the Leica M (Typ 262) shutter is barely audible – an invaluable advantage in situations where the photographer needs to remain unobtrusive. As an aid to this, the camera features a shutter cocking system that is considerably quieter in single exposure mode than that of the M (Typ 240), and enables a shutter release frequency of up to two frames per second.

For my taste, this is a worthwhile improvement.

I would have believed it too. My experience tells me otherwise. Even if I am not shooting, the mere glimpse of an M (even the MM without the red dot) catches the attention of one and all and pretty much anywhere in this world.

If one does not want to be noticed- ie., where discretion is of essence, the M will not cut it, unfortunately.

Having said that, yes, quieter shutter is always welcome in any and every camera. I enjoy it very much in an A7s or a GM1 or the MM.

Oren Grad

I would have believed it too. My experience tells me otherwise. Even if I am not shooting, the mere glimpse of an M (even the MM without the red dot) catches the attention of one and all and pretty much anywhere in this world.

If one does not want to be noticed- ie., where discretion is of essence, the M will not cut it, unfortunately.

Having said that, yes, quieter shutter is always welcome in any and every camera. I enjoy it very much in an A7s or a GM1 or the MM.
I agree that in this day and age, an M tends to call attention to itself. But I'm not so much interested in trying to sneak pictures without people knowing it, as in being able to photograph freely in a way that's courteous and non-obtrusive in situations where people are well aware of what I'm doing.

Godfrey

The M262 is a great announcement. If it's eligible for the discount it's a great deal.

Now if they made it a little thinner it would be very tasty. Keep going in this direction, Leica!
I doubt they can make the M more than 2mm thinner due to the required mount register, metering system, and sensor-shutter assembly space requirements, and that would take losing the LCD (which most folks don't want, judging from the discussions on the ME60) and redesigning the body shell*and electronics layout. The typ 240 grew a single mm in thickness compared to the M9, which was actually a big improvement as it stemmed from anchoring the tripod mount in the body structure rather than in the base plate.

Of course, they could redesign the body to mount the lens flange on a protruding pedestal and slim the rest of the body around it by some amount, again necessitating a major redesign of the body and electronics to suit. The classic look of the M would change in doing that as a consequence, which you know would incite the usual opinion storm ... ;-)

Would it really be worth all that development money?

Other modernizations that have been talked about (such as: electronic rangefinder system, live view system, auto focus capability, adoption of the L mount providing M mount through dedicated smart adapter, etc) will change the M more extensively. In that transition, I could easily see slimming the body just as they have with the T and SL bodies. Those sorts of paradigm changes would be worth the development money, if that's the direction Leica wants to take the M.

I guess that no matter which way they go, the opinion storm will follow. =8^\

G

iiiNelson

My big question is does this utilize the CMOSIS sensor or the sensor in the Q/SL. If it's the M240 sensor I'm not interes but if it were a rangefinder optimized Q/SL sensor then this is an interesting development.

scott kirkpatrick

My big question is does this utilize the CMOSIS sensor or the sensor in the Q/SL. If it's the M240 sensor I'm not interes but if it were a rangefinder optimized Q/SL sensor then this is an interesting development.
That's a good question for Michael Hussman over at the LUF. I'll ask it, if it hasn't been asked already.

scott

ashwinrao1

That's a good question for Michael Hussman over at the LUF. I'll ask it, if it hasn't been asked already.

scott
My suspicion is that it's CMOSIS. ISO cut off is 6400, just like the M240.

If this was the new sensor, they'd be talking about ISO 50,000....I suspect that they are saving this sensor (or its variant) for the next M....

Like Tre, this camera would very much interest me if it were the new sensor, rather than the re-boot of the M240 sensor.

jonoslack

Funny that, I've touted my M around France, China, Holland and Venice this year and only one person has mentioned it. that was on top of a mountain in Crete!

- - - Updated - - -

Same sensor as the M240