The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

M8.2 is the camera that I have been looking for!

Mikec

I have only spent about 30 minutes with my new M8.2. I haven't even looked at any of the files yet but I know this is the camera that I have been searching for!

The M8.2 makes photography fun for me. I can manual focus easily and can zone focus if I want to. The shutter is quiet enough for me.

I can't wait to look at the files.

D

DougDolde

You haven't looked at the files ! ? !

Isn't this a rush to judgement ?

:ROTFL:

Mikec

I am counting on the files to be good. My standard for image quality is not that high, so I should be good.

Mikec

Yes, I bought from Robert White. I'd say the experience is good and I would buy from them again. The price + exchange rate = a good deal.

Of course, one cannot expect an international order to be super quick. So, if you want it right now, I'd suggest buying locally.

Now I just have to not lust after lenses! :ROTFL:

Mikec

Is it wrong to lust after the "LEICA NOCTILUX-M 50 mm f/0.95 ASPH"? :ROTFL:

I will find out how much import duty cost is and report back. My minion took care of it so I don't know at the moment. :eek:

Mikec

I looked at some files last night. They are lovely!

My search for the camera for me is over. Making photographs hasn't been this fun for a long time.

cam

Noctilux - I still lust after the old f1 version!
it's worth lusting after :p

seriously, i don't think the new one (no matter how good it is) will be able to match its character. sharpness is not everything!

part of the joy of Leica -- lens lust! and there is so much glass from the past that is worthy of notice. it is our duty to keep these in use, rather than languishing in the cupboards of collectors.

Lloyd

it's worth lusting after :p

seriously, i don't think the new one (no matter how good it is) will be able to match its character. sharpness is not everything!

part of the joy of Leica -- lens lust! and there is so much glass from the past that is worthy of notice. it is our duty to keep these in use, rather than languishing in the cupboards of collectors.
It is indeed worth lusting after. I lusted for a long time, and then finally got one a couple of years ago. I've thought about selling it, but then every time I do, I get it out and use it, and remember why it's so special.

Mikec

Now that I have had a chance to play with the M8.2 a little bit, I regret not buying one sooner! The factors that I used to stop myself from buying one sooner are,
- Not full frame (I have been using Canon 1DsII, 5D, and Nikon D700)
- IR sensitivity
- Lack of bits in RAW files
- Ergonomics

Not full frame
There are nice wide lenses in the M line-up, it's not an issue. I don't have a need for more pixels neither. I am ok with more noise, I just need to adapt to a different style.

IR sensitivity
So far, I haven't used IR blocking filters yet. I have only been shooting in B&W. For the results that I am looking for, this has not been a problem.

Lack of bits in RAW files
It's a non-issue in practice. I haven't had a need to push the files very hard, so it might be lacking in a very small number of shots.

Ergonomics
Adding the M-grip is a must for me. I often hold the camera for hours and it's torture without the grip.

What the M8.2/M8 has that my DSLRs don't have
- Amazing lenses
- The "look" of the file (or much less post-processing needed)
- Compact lenses
- Rangefinder way of seeing things
- Quieter Shutter
- Less Vibration
- Photo making involvement
- Easy of zone focusing

stevem8

You hit the nail on the head Mike! Actually for B&W, you can get better results WITHOUT an IR filter! Glad to see you are enjoying it!

Gary P

Hi Mikec,

I just ordered my M8.2 from Robert White! Like you I can't wait for it to arrive as I chew at my fingernails!

It looks like your really enjoying the experience.

Gary P

Mikec

For those curious, I chose EMS for shipping and I didn't have to pay extra for duty/custom fee.

Maybe it's still the honeymoon phase, but I enjoy using the M8.2 very much!

Sadly, I am no good at photography so I don't have great images to share. :(

If I keep working on it, maybe one day...