The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica SL Custom buttons and Favorites Menu

Erik

Now that I'm starting to get more familiar with this new camera, I'm curious how others have configured the custom buttons and favorites menu. Please share.

Thanks.

jonoslack

Hi There Erik
. . . after much thought and experimentation

Top Left
ISO
bottom left
White Balance

Top Right
Exposure Compensation

Bottom Right
Lens profiles

Function (front)
Exposure mode (spot, centre, matrix)

LV button
AF Mode

Favorites
AF Mode
AF Field Size
Format
Capture Assistants
User Profile
Auto ISO Settings
WLAN

Godfrey

Is it possible to assign the joystick to enlargement in manual focus mode?
No, the focus assist magnification function is not assignable with current firmware. (Pressing the joystick does allow you to jump from full view to full magnification in review mode.)

G

Godfrey

I've used the SL almost exclusively with R lenses since I took it home. (The SL 24-90 lens is beginning to get quite lonely sitting on the shelf... I should take it out and use it.) So my current configuration is oriented for use with R lenses:

UL - Drive mode
BL - Metering pattern
UR - ISO
BR - Lens code
LV - Exposure bracketing
FN - Exposure Compensation
Favorites - {still at the defaults}

This configuration is named "RLens" and exported for safety. I'm still fussing over what I want in the Favorites menu, will re-save and re-export when I get that sorted out. I'll create a new user config when I work with the 24-90 lens as I'm sure I'll want to have various things set up for using AF when I get to that.

G

aDam007

I have two separate ones.. The one I would primarily use would be this one below.

TL: ISO
BL: Drive Mode
TR: Exposure Metering
BR: AF Mode

LV: EX comp (rarely use this, as I'm mainly shooting manual mode)

FN (DOF preview button): Grey Card (love the execution of this, makes it so easy for me to get proper WB in two button presses w/external hardware of course)

The favourites menu is as follows:

Focus mode
Flash Settings
White Balance
Storage Backup
Format
Auto ISO Settings
Optical Image Stabilisation

It's far less convoluted on the S-006 and midway on the S-007.

Best,
Adam

jrp

What about settings for manual lenses, for those that don't use the zoom?

The main settings that you need to get at easily (in A mode, rather than M) are:

- ISO
- Exposure compensation
- Drive mode
- Information overlay
- Enlargement / zoom in

And in the favorites,

- Format
- Focus peaking settings on/off, strength and to a lesser extent, color

I'll have a play

Godfrey

What about settings for manual lenses, for those that don't use the zoom?

The main settings that you need to get at easily (in A mode, rather than M) are:

- ISO
- Exposure compensation
- Drive mode
- Information overlay
- Enlargement / zoom in

And in the favorites,

- Format
- Focus peaking settings on/off, strength and to a lesser extent, color

I'll have a play
Pretty much what the settings I posted above have worked out to be for. I use A mode about 90% of the time. :)

G

alvinjamur

Quick Question : Am trying to set the joystick to focus/focus select and the shutter to only release.
Tried some combos but am not able to do it. Any suggestions? Please.

Thank You.

= aLV
www.alvinjamur.com

Godfrey

Quick Question : Am trying to set the joystick to focus/focus select and the shutter to only release.
Tried some combos but am not able to do it. Any suggestions? Please.
Set camera to manual focus.
Set AE/AF button to AF Only on Manual Focus.
Set AF to Spot pattern.

With this setup, you can push the focus area anywhere in the field and then press the joystick to perform AF. The shutter release will lock exposure and make the exposure. Of course, the focusing ring will be active for manual focus tweaking.

G

Last edited:

Godfrey

During this morning's walk, I realized that I had had to change EV Compensation a dozen times and the FN button was kind of awkward to use for that. So I've revised my button configuration:

UL - Drive mode
BL - Metering pattern
UR - ISO
BR - Exposure Compensation
LV - Lens code
FN - Exposure bracketing

I use exposure bracketing only infrequently, and lens code whenever I change lenses. But I don't want to keep hitting lens code accidentally, and the LV button is the one least likely to be pressed by accident.

This seems a good config for manual lens use. I'll see how it works out over a week or two.

G

bensonga

I am late to SL party. I’ve had my camera now for just a few days, but I have already inadvertently changed the shooting mode from photo/still to video a few times by apparently touching/tapping the silver “LV” button on the top plate which is near the shutter release and video recording buttons and switches between the photo and video modes. I certainly didn’t mean to change modes. Trying to train my fingers to stay well clear of that button.

I almost never shoot video with my digital cameras and probably never will with the SL. I was hoping/assuming there is a custom setting which would allow me to lock the camera in the photo/still mode or allow me to reassign that button. There are references above to assigning custom functions such as exposure compensation etc to the LV button, but I assume those are fuctions which apply when the camera is already in the Photo mode. I must be missing something and hope that someone here can help me resolve this somewhat nagging annoyance.

With the very different approach Leica has taken on the SL to control buttons, menus etc, it could be more of a challenge for me to get up to speed on using it effectively. In general, I’ve preferred using digital cameras that have dedicated buttons with few trips into the menu systems.

TIA for any help/advice.

Gary

Last edited: