The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Share your Experience with Leica D-Lux ( Type 109)

rollsman44

If anyone is shooting with this camera can you share your images and your likes and dislikes. Thinking of getting one soon. Thanks

bradhusick

I have owned MANY small cameras and I love the D-LUX 109. The controls are intuitive, the IQ is great (m4/3 sensor size) and the lens is fast and sharp. Buy the nifty flower-petal lens cap.

Photon42

The D-LUX does not have any real design flaws in my eyes. Fantastic image quality for such a small thingy (probably not at all different the Panasonic pendent). Mine (very early model) was plagued with a battery drainage issue and finally got replaced by Leica. The replacement unit is without flaws. It don't use it as often as I should, because I also have a m43 system, which, with the right lenses, is actually not much larger and is definitely more responsive. The 109 is not a camera you can put in your jeans pocket, as opposed to the Sony RX100 family. The LCD is very good, the EVF is definitely useable.

I bought the D-Lux over a year ago for a very specific use; backcountry skiing. I am a working professional photographer so particular about my gear. The D-Lux is relatively easy to carry in a small bag attached to the waist belt of my skiing backpack. It is the only camera I took on a recent backcountry ski tour in British Columbia, Canada. The quality of the images is good enough that one of my stock agents will accept them. All of the photos at the below link were taken with the D-Lux, some in harsh winter conditions. I also vote for the auto open lens cap - which I think was about $100 but precludes the possibility of dropping a separate lens cap into deep soft snow! The files are not nearly as high quality as my Leica M9-P nor my Canon 1DX, but they are pretty darn good. The only design flaw is the "Filter" button right next to the shutter release; at first I would inadvertently hit it. I glued a small rubber grommet around it to prevent accidentally hitting it.

http://weidmanphoto.com/canada_backcountry_ski_1_16/

Mark Weidman