The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New Leica Q Article on Leica Blog

D&A

What can one say? Lovely, poetic in many ways, images that a joy to peruse and admire and a very fluid, easy going style. Enjoyed your accompanied txt too. Very nice Louis and thanks for pointing out your article...added to my day, especially from my original background/training in reportage/street photography.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:

ashwinrao1

Lou, what a great series of images to show off the Q. Loved the article as well. Great job! The Q suits you :)

algrove

Yes the Q suits me. I might look at the SL in the future once it matures a bit more with more AF lens choices, but that is a huge/heavy system compared to the Q which appears to have about the same sensor.

Thanks everyone for all the kind comments. On to my next project!

algrove

Lovely, Lou. :). Nice to see sunshine exists! :)
First, thanks for all the emails about the Quba article.

Vivek-Here's some Florida sun from the Manos Leica Workshop. Manos said this was the best beach shot of the weekend.

Last edited:

jaldelhof

First, thanks for all the emails about the Quba article.

Vivek-Here's some Florida sun from the Manos Leica Workshop. Manos said this was the best beach shot of the weekend.
Did you take this picture with the Q? I have the sony rx1r and was very happy with it for 3 years. This was the only camera I had. I was frustrated with the AF , so I decided to buy a new camera. I pre-ordered the Leica Q, because of the 28 mm . I do a lot of street photography and always did want to use a 28 mm lens. Now I am a little bit concerned after reading steve huffs sony rx1rii reviews and your video. Is the image quality from the sony rx1rii so much better then the leica Q? I did test the leica Q and I was overwhelmed how the camera did feel in the hand. My budget is around 4000 dollar. Witch one would you choose?

algrove

Did you take this picture with the Q? I have the sony rx1r and was very happy with it for 3 years. This was the only camera I had. I was frustrated with the AF , so I decided to buy a new camera. I pre-ordered the Leica Q, because of the 28 mm . I do a lot of street photography and always did want to use a 28 mm lens. Now I am a little bit concerned after reading steve huffs sony rx1rii reviews and your video. Is the image quality from the sony rx1rii so much better then the leica Q? I did test the leica Q and I was overwhelmed how the camera did feel in the hand. My budget is around 4000 dollar. Witch one would you choose?
Yes the beach photo was taken with my Q. By the way, that image is full frame and not cropped at all. Lovely responsive camera. Sure 42MP is more than 24MP, but it all comes down what you want to do with your images and how good your technique currently is. Any small movement on a 42MP sensor will deteriorate the image while the 24MP image can be somewhat less sensitive to bad technique.

I am confused on why you say you a concerned after reading Steve Huff "and your video". I have not posted a video, but only the following article on the Leica Blog.

“Quba”: Cuba with the Leica Q by Louis Foubare | Leica Forum Blog

V

Vivek

Shake may not be just a result of " bad technique". The rxr1 mk ii needs a proper custom grip (at least in my case) to be stable to hold. When higher pixel density is added to this, it does exacerbate the problem. If i am not stuck to the recalled rx1r mk ii and miraculously if i get a refund, i will give the Q (to be bought from a place with 30 day money back for return privilege) a try. Yes, i think 24mp is better than 42 for some reasons.

algrove

I like different cameras for different jobs, but it comes down to what you as a photographer prefer and can afford.

Got a new website to share and view galleries.

Louis Foubare

Last edited:

anGy

Really like the spontaneity of those shots, added to the wide angle it made me plunge into the cuban atmosphere, well done.:)

Regarding your technique, did you have to use a WiFi connection to control the Q from your iPhone or is there a direct way to connect both, independently from a wifi network availability ?
If I remember well the Sony A7 can also be tethered from an iPhone but only when both are connected to the same network (not sure what I'm saying here).

anGy

From the app store:
How to connect your camera:
- Use the camera's CLIENT-Mode to join an existing wifi network
- Use the camera's HOST-Mode to create a new wifi network by the camera
- QR-Code recognition makes the HOST-Mode easy to access

So I suppose there is no way to do without a wifi network. Wasn't it limiting in Cuba ?

algrove

From the app store:
How to connect your camera:
- Use the camera's CLIENT-Mode to join an existing wifi network
- Use the camera's HOST-Mode to create a new wifi network by the camera
- QR-Code recognition makes the HOST-Mode easy to access

So I suppose there is no way to do without a wifi network. Wasn't it limiting in Cuba ?
There are many Wifi sites on the street now in Cuba. Just look for crowds of people just standing or sitting and looking at their smartphones and you are within range. Your second point is NFC mode and it works too.