Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: "NEW" Leica lenses announced..

Post Thanks / Like

"NEW" Leica lenses announced..

Hi guys,

So the "new" lenses that were announced apparently have new optical formulas. But I'm thinking they're just the same lenses with cosmetic updates. Can anyone confirm this? Jonathan are you molesting any of the new lenses as I write this?

IF so deliver the goods.. I'm curious to see if there are any visual improvements/changes.

Leica M Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH (Lots could be improved with this fellow.)
    Leica Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH (Could have updated coatings to play well with the M240 and newer sensors, since it's only good on the M9. Hopefully it's sharper wide open.)
    Leica Elmarit-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH (Weird they'd do anything but cosmetics to this guy, he's perfect.)

Discuss away!
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: "NEW" Leica lenses announced..

So it seems with the renewed popularity of the 28mm FL (with the Q having a 28 and the new 28/1.4) they are now focusing on 28mm, not to mention the venerable 35mm FL.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aDam007 View Post
    Hi guys,

So the "new" lenses that were announced apparently have new optical formulas. But I'm thinking they're just the same lenses with cosmetic updates. Can anyone confirm this? Jonathan are you molesting any of the new lenses as I write this?

IF so deliver the goods.. I'm curious to see if there are any visual improvements/changes.

Leica M Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH (Lots could be improved with this fellow.)
    Leica Summicron-M 28 mm f/2 ASPH (Could have updated coatings to play well with the M240 and newer sensors, since it's only good on the M9. Hopefully it's sharper wide open.)
    Leica Elmarit-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH (Weird they'd do anything but cosmetics to this guy, he's perfect.)

Discuss away!
    Yes I'll be interested too. We could always tie Jono to a chair as they do in the gangster movies to get him to talk. The only difference is his hands would be bound with AA or Luigi leathsr neck strap and a small glass of his favorite alcoholic beverage would be held inches from his lips .

The 28mm cron was always produced very natural images on the M9...and sharp corner to corner when stopped down a stop but not the often seen clinical sharpness one sees with some of the asphericals. On a M240, aomewhat different.

The current 28mm f8 has often been praised but for some, far too high a contrast of lens...excessive at times although some prefer its optical attributes.

Dave (D&A)
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Bummer!

I was hoping there is atleast one T/S lens and a new macro.

Post Thanks / Like

It seems important that they are offering new M lenses, which suggests future M bodies to put them on.

TechArt, which makes adapters to Sony for Contax G autofocus lenses, is working on an autofocusing M adapter. Maybe Leica will 'catch up' with an AF M body?

Kirk
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    It seems important that they are offering new M lenses, which suggests future M bodies to put them on.

TechArt, which makes Sony adapters for Contax G autofocus lenses, is working on an autofocusing M adapter. Maybe Leica can 'catch up' with an AF M body??

Kirk
    Wouldn't that be something for my aging eyes!
    With best regards, K-H.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to agree with that, good for the future.
    Bring on the small non-rangefinder "M".

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

TechArt, which makes adapters to Sony for Contax G autofocus lenses, is working on an autofocusing M adapter. Maybe Leica will 'catch up' with an AF M body.
    Quite honestly, the last thing I'd want is an autofocusing M body.

I don't hate AF and I use it when it's available and works for what I'm doing, but one of the things I love about the M is how easy, direct, and precise it is to focus just as it is for lenses in its appropriate range. For the M, AF would be another layer of complexity beyond what's needed.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what Leica is claiming are the technical improvements in the three new lenses:

28 summicron-asph: due to its recalculated optical design, which almost completely eliminates the astigmatic differences in the image field caused by the cover glass of the sensor

28 elmarit-asph: optimised for digital photography and has significantly reduced image field curvature in comparison to the previous model. This results in considerably improved image performance with high resolution and extremely impressive reproduction of details. The Elmarit-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH.is practically distortion-free

35 summicron-asph: The eleven blades of the iris of the new Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH. create a circular aperture

and they all are in new mounts, with the screw-in metal lens hood with an open corner for greater forward visibility.

I can't see what the 6-bit codes are, to tell if there will be new M firmware to support them with different corrections.

Except for the inference that the 28 Elmarit asph had field curvature issues which are now removed, I don't see big changes. But the new lens hoods are an improvement. New technical spec pubs not yet available.

scott

correction: technical data sheets for the new lenses are on the leica-camera.com website.
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 14th January 2016 at 13:54. Reason: correction

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    For the M, AF would be another layer of complexity beyond what's needed.
    Which might be why Leica gave us the option of the new M262 that does not have any additional non-rangefinder complexity...

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Which might be why Leica gave us the option of the new M262 that does not have any additional non-rangefinder complexity...
    Yes. I wouldn't call it "non-rangefinder", though; "non-still-camera" is more like it.

The M Edition 60 went even further in that direction. I'm still tempted by one of those, but having bought the SL there's no money in the pot for such an extravagance. The M-P does well enough, particularly if you disable the LV and video buttons.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scott kirkpatrick View Post
    But the new lens hoods are an improvement.
    +1

I broke a lot of plastic lens hoods on the 28mm.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hasselbladfan View Post
    +1

I broke a lot of plastic lens hoods on the 28mm.
    I hope it is not the same metal hood design like used on the Summarits. Because it looses easy and then darkens corners if it doesnt sit right.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I hope it is not the same metal hood design like used on the Summarits. Because it looses easy and then darkens corners if it doesnt sit right.
    I think it is the screw-in hood used on all the Summiluxes. I have them, and the hood doesn't get loose. Anyway, someone on the LUF looked through the spec sheets and claims that there has been an optical redesign that moves the glass forward, away from the imaging surface, which should help with soft corners when focused on a distant scene in either the M or the SL.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am more interested in the rears of these lenses. I hope they did not leave any shiny brass metal bits exposed to the sensor.

Considering this, pretty much all M lenses need to be upgraded.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    I am more interested in the rears of these lenses. I hope they did not leave any shiny brass metal bits exposed to the sensor.

Considering this, pretty much all M lenses need to be upgraded.
    I use to have a bunch of duplicate lenses. Some had metal some had the metal anodised.. They're inconsistent from batch to batch.. It should BTW be standard practise to blacken the elements as well as all the metal bits.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's what Leica is claiming are the technical improvements in the three new lenses:

28 summicron-asph: due to its recalculated optical design, which almost completely eliminates the astigmatic differences in the image field caused by the cover glass of the sensor

28 elmarit-asph: optimised for digital photography and has significantly reduced image field curvature in comparison to the previous model. This results in considerably improved image performance with high resolution and extremely impressive reproduction of details. The Elmarit-M 28 mm f/2.8 ASPH.is practically distortion-free

35 summicron-asph: The eleven blades of the iris of the new Summicron-M 35 mm f/2 ASPH. create a circular aperture

and they all are in new mounts, with the screw-in metal lens hood with an open corner for greater forward visibility.

I can't see what the 6-bit codes are, to tell if there will be new M firmware to support them with different corrections.

Except for the inference that the 28 Elmarit asph had field curvature issues which are now removed, I don't see big changes. But the new lens hoods are an improvement. New technical spec pubs not yet available.

scott

correction: technical data sheets for the new lenses are on the leica-camera.com website.
    Having quickly compared the new vs old MTF's I see quite an improvement on the two 28's.
    Ario
    www.arioarioldi.net
    Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

I can also see the change in the new vs old 28 Elmarit, but I don't have the technical data sheet for the old 28 Summicron. Can you give a link for that?

thanks,

scott

Post Thanks / Like

I can also see the change in the new vs old 28 Elmarit, but I don't have the technical data sheet for the old 28 Summicron. Can you give a link for that?

thanks,

scott
    Here is one.
    http://www.summilux.net/m_system/ima...cron28Asph.pdf

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ario Arioldi View Post
    Having quickly compared the new vs old MTF's I see quite an improvement on the two 28's.
    The 28 Elmarit looks essentially identical to me?

Also note, that they mislabeled the MTFs for the new 28 Cron at f/5.6 and f/2.8 (swapped the two). But the tangential MTFs have improved quite a bit near the corners.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Taylor Sherman View Post
    The 28 Elmarit looks essentially identical to me?
    I have seen some comparison shots taken last summer with late prototypes of the updated 28 Elmarit and Summicron. Unfortunately they can't be published because the lenses were prototypes, but there were improvements in overall resolution way out in the corners and improved contrast in the shadows, as the MTFs would suggest. I hope we will see some publishable comparisons eventually.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

What about optical changes in the new 35mm? Is there any improvement ?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    Yes. I wouldn't call it "non-rangefinder", though; "non-still-camera" is more like it.

The M Edition 60 went even further in that direction. I'm still tempted by one of those, but having bought the SL there's no money in the pot for such an extravagance. The M-P does well enough, particularly if you disable the LV and video buttons.

G
    Godfrey you should try an M 262. Love mine....

I was really hoping that Leica would put the M 60 into full production at a price point where the M 262 is.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
    Godfrey you should try an M 262. Love mine....

I was really hoping that Leica would put the M 60 into full production at a price point where the M 262 is.
    There's no upside to selling my M-P240 and buying an M262: I'd lose money on the sale and spend more than I paid for the M-P to acquire the latter. A few grams less weight and the lack of video, Live View, and EVF are not that valuable to me.

If the SL and M262 had already been out when the M9 sensor went bad, I would have gone for an M262 ... because I know I'd have purchased the SL regardless. And I do actually like the M-P quite a lot. :-)

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Where are you all finding the technical sheets? I go to leica-camera.com (of course it redirects me to us.leica-camera.com), and the downloads page for the two 28's are empty. I try uk.leica-camera and de.leica-camera but same thing. Did they take them down or am I in the wrong place?

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I had the same issue and after looking all over, they are in the 'Service' 'Downloads' section, not the camera section. Then you choose the drop down list to pick M lenses.

This link should be it:

http://us.leica-camera.com/Service-S...language=93871

Cheers,
    another Dave

Post Thanks / Like

I read that the new 28mm Cron is physically smaller than the old one. Can anyone confirm that? The specs I see listed are the same.

Post Thanks / Like

Smaller hood.

Post Thanks / Like

I just got my new 28mm f/2.8 yesterday and show a few side-by-sides with my existing 28mm f/2.8. Despite the virtually unchanged MTFs (at least to my eyes), the new lens is quite improved. The new lens has less field curvature and is noticeably better at the edges of the frame at all apertures. The new lens is better enough in the corners to see the difference on my laptop at 100% (15" Macbook Pro Retina) from several feet away. It's quite remarkably improved, especially at wider apertures. I use the 28mm f/2.8 a lot, and the new lens looks the same in the way it draws - just more consistent across the frame, better at the edges, and a lot better in the corners.
    Last edited by jffielde1; 7th February 2016 at 05:50.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all,

Any comparative "on-the-field" test between the Summicron 28 mk I & Summicron 28 mk II ??

Post Thanks / Like

Re: "NEW" Leica lenses compared with "old"

The updated 28 Elmarit-asph is slightly taller than its predecessor, which was the first current lens I purchased for my M8, back in about 2006. But the case it comes with is much bigger, since it also contains a ring to cover the threads for the rigid lens hood, plus a sizeable cap to cover the lens in "travel mode," when it is being used without a lens hood. If there is good light tomorrow I will try to post some comparison shots on M240 and SL.

L1010690 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The shot was taken with the SL and an APO-Macro Elmarit 100. I forgot and loaded the SL's current lens profile for this lens, which grossly overcorrects for vignetting with a sort of smoke ring at the edges. It works for this picture, but is normally pretty ugly.

scott

Post Thanks / Like

I've run a series of tests using my 2008 model 28/2.8 asph and the new version of that lens on both an M240 and an SL. As a baseline, I compare both with the results in the same setting from a 28 Summilux at the same f/stops. The test image is tilted so that the details along the horizon line run from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. Here's the gold standard, with the SX28 at ISO 50 and f/5.6 on the SL:

L1010698 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The results are that both 28 Elmarit-M lenses do well on the M240, with the new version of the lens slightly better. But the differences on the SL are quite dramatic. The original 28/2.8-asph has been reported elsewhere to have problems in the corners, and I see that as well. The new version does not. It is very nearly as sharp as the SX 28. Here are 100% crops taken at f/2.8 on all three lenses, from a portion in the lower left corner of the frame, ending only 90% of the way to the edges:

First the 28/2.8 version 1 on the SL at f/2.8:

L1010708 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

then the 28/2.8 version 2 on the SL at f.2,8:

L1010701 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and the Summilux 28 version of the same portion on the SL at f/2.8:

L1010696 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

Now let's do the reasonable thing, and shoot the scene at f/5.6. First the 28/2.8 version 1, on the SL:

L1010710 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and then version 2 at f/5.6 on the SL:

L1010703 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

The older version Elmarit-asph does have a little trouble at the very edge of the frame even at f/5.6 (and the new version does not), but in this portion both perform very well.

The scene is the district of Nahlaot in Jerusalem, seen from below the Supreme Court building. This warren of old buildings and alleyways was settled in the 1870s when it was first safe to leave the overcrowded old city, got very run down and is now seeing some gentrification. I have a more detailed panorama here (50 MB file).

scott
    Last edited by scott kirkpatrick; 15th February 2016 at 13:54.
    Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

The difference at 2.8 between version 1 and 2 on the SL is indeed very very significant... It would be interesting to know why and how it was solved...

And I believe I actually prefer the Elmarit-M to the Summilux... in any case I don't see a $4K difference... or perhaps the Summilux needs a version 2 as well...

Thanks for doing this!

Post Thanks / Like

I was initially v sceptical about the bulk of the SL Zoom. But I am impressed with the image quality. I wonder how it would compare with the new 28mm, although it would make more sense to pair the zoom with Summiluxes, other than when discreteness is important.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    ... or perhaps the Summilux needs a version 2 as well...
    No. It just needs the right pair of hands.

Check the examples shown by Petester here: http://www.getdpi.com/forum/leica/57...-summilux.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to Scott for the 28 Lux/Elmarit comparison!

Anything known/any examples involving the updated 28 and 35 Crons?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by helged View Post
    Thanks to Scott for the 28 Lux/Elmarit comparison!

Anything known/any examples involving the updated 28 and 35 Crons?
    Sorry, I like the 28 Elmarit and Summilux, one for travel and the other as an all-purpose lens, and I have a 35 SX-FLE,
    so I haven't worried about upgrades to the Summicrons. I understand there are some reviews in progress for the other two upgraded lenses, but don't know when these will surface. My hunch is that the improvements to the Elmarit are the biggest change. And even with the 28 Elmarit, if you want to use it on the M240, I don't see a strong need to upgrade. The next M, due late this year (???) might be a different story.

scott

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sorry, I like the 28 Elmarit and Summilux, one for travel and the other as an all-purpose lens, and I have a 35 SX-FLE,
    so I haven't worried about upgrades to the Summicrons. I understand there are some reviews in progress for the other two upgraded lenses, but don't know when these will surface. My hunch is that the improvements to the Elmarit are the biggest change. And even with the 28 Elmarit, if you want to use it on the M240, I don't see a strong need to upgrade. The next M, due late this year (???) might be a different story.

scott
    Hi Scott
    I think the changes to the 28 summicron are even more impressive - this time on the M240 as well as the SL.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vivek View Post
    No. It just needs the right pair of hands.
    Couldn't agree more - I think the 28 'lux is almost perfect. . . . and those are great photos.

Just this guy you know

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I've run a series of tests using my 2008 model 28/2.8 asph and the new version of that lens on both an M240 and an SL. As a baseline, I compare both with the results in the same setting from a 28 Summilux at the same f/stops. The test image is tilted so that the details along the horizon line run from the lower left corner to the upper right corner. Here's the gold standard, with the SX28 at ISO 50 and f/5.6 on the SL

The results are that both 28 Elmarit-M lenses do well on the M240, with the new version of the lens slightly better. But the differences on the SL are quite dramatic. The original 28/2.8-asph has been reported elsewhere to have problems in the corners, and I see that as well. The new version does not. It is very nearly as sharp as the SX 28. Here are 100% crops taken at f/2.8 on all three lenses, from a portion in the lower left corner of the frame, ending only 90% of the way to the edges:

scott
    Scott,
    Just to verify for us M240 shooters you don't see much of a difference between the newer and older 28 Elmarit in terms of corner performance?

Thanks
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Scott,
    Just to verify for us M240 shooters you don't see much of a difference between the newer and older 28 Elmarit in terms of corner performance?

Thanks
    Steven
    From what I gather from Scotts postings, there isn't much "corner performance" differences between the old and new 28mm Elmarit versions when used on a M240 but it appears quite pronounced when these lenses are used on a SL body.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    From what I gather from Scotts postings, there isn't much "corner performance" differences between the old and new 28mm Elmarit versions when used on a M240 but it appears quite pronounced when these lenses are used on a SL body.

Dave (D&A)
    Thanks Dave,
    That's what I thought yet wanted to verify before deciding on whether to purchase the "new" 28 Elmarit and spend the extra $$ or go for a used previous model...

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kuau View Post
    Thanks Dave,
    That's what I thought yet wanted to verify before deciding on whether to purchase the "new" 28 Elmarit and spend the extra $$ or go for a used previous model...

Steven
    I guess if you see a Leica SL in your future, then from what I've seen of Scott's crops (above), I would definitely go for the new 28mm Elmarit. If simply using on a M9 or M240, a really good buy in a used Elmarit might be worthy of consideration. Then again even with the Sl out of the equation, no telling how either version might perform on a future M.

Dave (D&A)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by D&A View Post
    I guess if you see a Leica SL in your future, then from what I've seen of Scott's crops (above), I would definitely go for the new 28mm Elmarit. If simply using on a M9 or M240, a really good buy in a used Elmarit might be worthy of consideration. Then again even with the Sl out of the equation, no telling how either version might perform on a future M.

Dave (D&A)
    That's certainly my view. The sourcing decisions that Leica have made for the Q's and SL's sensors are the basis for my speculation that the sensor used in the next M may have more pixels but will have the pixel architecture that the SL is using, so that the SL may be a fair stand-in for the next models.

I've received a couple of requests for the comparison shots on the M240 (where there is little to no difference), so here they are:

first a pair at f/2.8 on the M[240]: The version 1 lens:

L6004314 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and the version 2 lens does a tiny bit better:

L6004308 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

At f/5.6 I can't see any difference. First v1:

L6004316 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

and then v2:

L6004310 copy by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

You can find the full size jpegs in my Photostream on Flickr.

I've gotten nice screensavers for display at 27 inches from travel photographs made of pretty scenes in good light with the v1 Elmarit-M 28 using M's from the M8 to the M[240].

scott
    Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Sean Reid has posted a review of both new 28mm lenses on the SL. I know he has the older 28 Elmarit, don't believe he has the Summicron, but he promises a detailed comparison in a forthcoming article. The site is in the process of converting to html5 and high resolution pictures, suitable for Retina-type screens. It looks pretty good in Safari. No more flash.

scott

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sean Reid has posted a review of both new 28mm lenses on the SL. I know he has the older 28 Elmarit, don't believe he has the Summicron, but he promises a detailed comparison in a forthcoming article. The site is in the process of converting to html5 and high resolution pictures, suitable for Retina-type screens. It looks pretty good in Safari. No more flash.

scott
    Scott,
    I assume you are correct in terms of Sean's finding, looks like he was using the older Elmarit in his test.
    Your samples above clearly show that the new 28 Elmarit does indeed perform quite well on the SL.
    Now I just have to wait a year or so before I see some used SL's come down in price.
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jonoslack View Post
    Hi Scott
    I think the changes to the 28 summicron are even more impressive - this time on the M240 as well as the SL.

- - - Updated - - -
    Hi Jono.

I have the new 28 Summicron and have compared it to my old version. I have to agree with you that the new 28 Summicron is very impressive in edge performance, color and contrast across the entire frame.

Thanks for the advise to purchase the new version.
    flickr

Post Thanks / Like

I just traded in my 28 Emarit for the new version, hoping it would work good enough with the a7rII. After a first test I am satisfied. Still smears at 2.8 and a bit at f/4, but f/5.6 is very usable and it is gone by f/8. That fits my landscape use just fine since I rarely need sharp corners wide open. So now I have two systems with one set of lenses (monochrom/a7rII).

Dave
    How glorious a greeting the sun gives the mountains! - John Muir

davechewphotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone. Thanks for this thread and the crops.

I picked up the new 28 Summicron a couple weeks ago, however unfortunately I didn't seem to luck out with a copy that was an improvement over my old Cron. For the full details, I posted my findings over at LUF in this thread.

There were a number of aspects where the new Cron was an improvement - contrast, resistance to veiling flare, central sharpness, ergonomics, hood. But I noticed very strong forward field curvature in my copy and that image edges of planar subjects filling the frame never reached comparable sharpness to the center. My old Cron did and exceeded the sharpness of the new Cron at the edges by f/4-5.6.

I don't want to state that my new Cron was typical of how the redesign performs. Rather, that anyone buying this lens should thoroughly test it to ensure it meets their expectations and requirements.

I ended up returning it rather than trying to convince a skeptical dealer that there was a real problem with it in exchange for another one (it was the second copy I received from them after the first was clearly DOA), or have them send it to Leica for months with the possibility it would come back as 'in spec'. There just weren't enough full-rez, full frame samples available online to determine whether or how far mine was off from optimal performance.

I've since found a good used copy of the 28 Lux. There are times when I need the extra stop but the tradeoff is definitely a much larger, heavier, costlier lens. However, in the tests I've run so far, it compares favorably to the old Cron in many of the parameters I look for in images...
    Ron

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Excellent!

Now then, if I buy one of these new toys, would my images be any better than say my existing corn 35, 28?

I want to see the beef. So please entice me with these wonders of optical engineering.

Gratefully yours.

p.s I never learnt to read MTF charts.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rayyan View Post
    ... my existing corn 35, 28?

I want to see the beef ...
    Corn beef? I thought this wasn't about food ...