The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hey Guys! Just posted my 50 Lux ASPH review!

stevem8

Thanks! Glad you enjoyed it. I hope to be doing more of these write ups soon. I have a Dlux 4 and Voigtlander write up coming next. 1-2 weeks.

Lloyd

Great review, Steve. You tempt me to sell my Nocti for the Summilux... sorta... kinda... almost. :rolleyes:

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Steve

You refer to the LHSA black paint version of the 50mm summilux...are you sure this was an ASPH version. I don t have a compendium on the leica lenses but Leica issued a 50mm summilux black paint that was the pre asph formula. This is the lens preferred by many on the forum because of the traditional leica glow and smooth bokeh wide open. Stopped down the pre asph gets close to the current asph version. So you can dial in the level of contrast . The current asph model is far sharper wide open as your illustrations show.

stevem8

Oh yes, Leica made a ASPH version in Black Paint that sold with their MP3 kit a couple years back. Only so many kits were made and 00 black paint lenses were made as well as 500 silver.

Actually you can get a BP ASPH still today. Popflash has one for sale new. Its not the LHSA but its a BP version that takes a 43mm filter, same as the LHSA.

But yes, the LHSA BP Lux was an ASPH version and it was spectacular. Wish I never sold it.

Paratom

Good read and the 50asph is one of my 3 favorite Leica lenses. (Theother 2 are the 28/2.0asph adn the WATE)
One question regarding color: My 50asph shows a very very slight warm/red tone. I have read some color charts about Leica lenses (dont remember where but I think it was from Leica) and those also state that the 50asph shows a little warmer color than-for example-the 50cron.
In some occassional cases I find the color I get with the asph a little bit too much on the red side, like a brown would look a little reddish, not 100% neutral. Do you have the same experience?

L

lamman

Awesome review! Too bad I didn't buy this gem when it's just half the price of nowadays...

stevem8

Thanks guys! Yea, tell me about it. These lens prices today are just insane, but they sure are pretty sweet! Thanks for checking it out!