The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica X-U vs Nikon AW1

ohnri

Anyone that owns the Nikon AW1 planning on adding the Leica?

I have used the Nikon a fair bit on vacations including while diving and have been quite satisfied with it's IQ. It is a fair step up from my GoPro for stills.

The Nikon also focuses very quickly and has a nice burst function.

I imagine the Leica will handily win in pure IQ and beat the smaller sensor Nikon in low light.

The Leica is also quite a lot larger, it is heavier and the option to change lenses is absent.

Finally, the Leica has contrast detection AF only and may be a bit pokey to lock focus.

Still, more adventure cameras will clearly make me even more adventurous and, thus, more appealing.

Therefore, I am interested.

-Bill

Paratom

Anyone that owns the Nikon AW1 planning on adding the Leica?

I have used the Nikon a fair bit on vacations including while diving and have been quite satisfied with it's IQ. It is a fair step up from my GoPro for stills.

The Nikon also focuses very quickly and has a nice burst function.

I imagine the Leica will handily win in pure IQ and beat the smaller sensor Nikon in low light.

The Leica is also quite a lot larger, it is heavier and the option to change lenses is absent.

Finally, the Leica has contrast detection AF only and may be a bit pokey to lock focus.

Still, more adventure cameras will clearly make me even more adventurous and, thus, more appealing.

Therefore, I am interested.

-Bill
For diving I would rather buy a good compact (or m43) and an underwater housing for the same money. Or for only occasional use for less money a Oly-TG4. Maybe not same levl of IQ but zoom, wide angle optins, macro options, fast AF, And for outdoor in bad weather I would rather use a Oly EM1.

Also for an outdoor camaera I am not sure if 35mm prime cuts it or if a zoom would be more usefull, and for diving - like you- I woud be concerned the AF guts it.

So - for me - someone buying nearly every new Leica product, I dont see a good reason to buy a weather proof Leica X with slow AF and fixed focal length for that price.

The Aw Nikon offers more for the purpose, even though there are some people who have had moisture inside the camera, so it is not really a divers camera.

Last edited:

D&A

Leica missed the boat on this one...by about 10 days by not having it available for this weekends monumental blizzard in the mid Atlantic region in U.S. :). Oh other problem is where to come up with the needed $3,000 cash...LOL.

In actuality, camera like this can actually be quite nice to use in conditions described, not only for underwater use but if truly sealed against elements encountered on sports/adventure/ active type outings where small and light in addition to element sealing/vibration conditions is prevails.

Dave (D&A)

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Cheapskates! :ROTFL:

Leica's email says this about the X U

LEICA X-U
Because the here and now never waits.

D&A

Cheapskates! :ROTFL:

Leica's email says this about the X U

LEICA X-U
Because the here and now never waits.
Well if I won last weeks 1.5 billion dollar powerball lottery, it wouldn't have been a problem. :).

Dave (D&A)

atanabe

Well, I bought an Olympus TG4 for possible use as an underwater camera. Returned it, did not like the image quality or ability to customize the shooting modes.

Having a Nikon 1 V1 with the 10-30 mm lens to compare it with on dry land, I concluded that the Nikon was better than the Olympus. I thought about the Nikon AW1 and the price was too high for an occasional use camera. In searching for alternatives, I stumbled on a close out of the Nikon underwater housing, yes, full blown underwater housing 130' rating, complete controls for $61.00. But it was only for the Nikon J1 or J2, that was the catch. The J2 was a slightly newer incarnation of the V1 which I thought was satisfactory for my needs so a search of Ebay was launched. On my search I found a mint J2 for $95, bought the camera and the rest is bliss. For the paltry sum of $156, I had a pretty nice setup. Now this is rather large to fit in the pocket and go do anything, but for underwater work is just perfect.

Now along comes the XU, at $2900 is rather steep and has less features than the models from all the others but as a Leica, with the dedicated fan base should sell in small quantities. For a pocket camera, I like the manual controls and ability to focus using a focusing ring. My admiration stops at the price point and the thought of how often would I need such a camera anyway?
DSC_0465.jpg
Nikon J2 10-30mm @27mm 1/500 @f5.0 200 ISO