Site Sponsors

Thread: Will the next Leica M have an EyeRes EVF?

Post Thanks / Like

Will the next Leica M have an EyeRes EVF?

I'm trying to hold off a purchase of the Leica SL because I enjoy using rangefinders most. I'm concerned that Leica is going to wait until the year is nearly over before they release the next M unfortunately. We all know it will likely use a modified version of the Q and SL sensor which is great, but what about the next generation EVF? the SL has the most amazing built in EVF on the planet right now, will we be able to buy an external version of that EyeRes EVF for the next Leica M?

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Will the next Leica M have an EyeRes EVF?

Quote Originally Posted by animefx View Post
    I'm trying to hold off a purchase of the Leica SL because I enjoy using rangefinders most. I'm concerned that Leica is going to wait until the year is nearly over before they release the next M unfortunately. We all know it will likely use a modified version of the Q and SL sensor which is great, but what about the next generation EVF? the SL has the most amazing built in EVF on the planet right now, will we be able to buy an external version of that EyeRes EVF for the next Leica M?
    No one at this point has a clue ...

And Leica is unlikely to affect SL sales by stating so.

My guess is no ... perhaps a better EVF but the whole deal is the M is a rangefinder and Leica has opened a whole new category with
    attendant cost that need to be amortized over time .... The M with the same level of EVF would be a competitor to the SL. :Not usually
    the Leica business model. Now two generations down the line perhaps.

Just my opinion from 30 years experience with Leica products.

Bob
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by animefx View Post
    but what about the next generation EVF? the SL has the most amazing built in EVF on the planet right now, will we be able to buy an external version of that EyeRes EVF for the next Leica M?
    If we can I'll buy, if we can't I won't.

If I don't I'll be forced to look elsewhere.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll add, if Leica are intending to offer an accessory EVF - and why wouldn't they - then why wouldn't they offer the best possible accessory EVF?

Post Thanks / Like

I hope not. Kinda defeats the rangefinder purpose.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by airfrogusmc View Post
    I hope not. Kinda defeats the rangefinder purpose.
    How does an accessory EVF defeat the rangefinder purpose?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Now that the SL is released with its particular feature set, I am more convinced than ever that it was designed to partially respond to those rangefinder users who wanted to see at least one model/varient of the future M to have either AF option and/or some type built in EVF or hybrid. This is aside from obvious use of SL with R lenses.

My gut feeling tells me now the future upcoming M will be quite conventional in nature with the usually additional advances that keep the basic tenent and classic principals of the M intact. I think an improved external EVF is a given but whether it will match the one used on the SL is hard to predict for a variety of marketing and and financial decisions. I very much agree with Bob's assessment (above).

Dave (D&A)
    Last edited by D&A; 27th January 2016 at 11:24.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KeithL View Post
    How does an accessory EVF defeat the rangefinder purpose?
    I don't think it does either. I find the accessory EVF is a useful adjunct to my use of the M-P, specifically for when I want to use lenses at the ultra-wide or longer tele ends of the spectrum. I use it with the 24, the 90, and the 135 mm lenses because it gives better focusing and framing capabilities than the OVF can provide. I see nothing wrong with Leica upgrading the EVF accessory and interface for the next M to the same standard as the Visoflex EVF used with the T and X typ 113 cameras, or even beyond. (It would be nice if the EVF were a bit less bulky than the Visoflex for those cameras, however, more like the Olympus VF-4 would be good.)

With the focal lengths I use most of the time on the M-P—35, 50, and 75 mm—I prefer the rangefinder and OVF. To me, this focal length range is what I enjoy most when using the M, and the rangefinder/optical viewfinder are beautifully suited to them.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I regularly use the rangefinder and accessory EVF on my M240, both are equally important to my work. I'm hoping the next M will have the option of a much improved EVF. I can't imagine Leica would offer us the option of a poor accessory EVF. Once bitten, twice shy.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I regularly use the rangefinder and accessory EVF on my M240, both are equally important to my work. I'm hoping the next M will have the option of a much improved EVF. I can't imagine Leica would offer us the option of a poor accessory EVF. Once bitten, twice shy.
    I wouldn't call the current EVF "poor". It was the best EVF panel available when the typ 240 was designed. It's not the same quality as other EVFs available today, but it still performs quite well.

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously people feel differently about EVFs. Three color models would be nice for M: upgraded 240 style with best EVF possible, perhaps even on-camera alongside the OVF; upgraded 262: smaller; and the "interchangeable Q", a compact EVF only M body.

I like my M9, admire the 240, but the M6 is dramatically nicer in my hand Many people would be very excited to see that footprint again. When I ever I suggest this, some always chime in to defend the current size. But given the real choice, I'd bet many of them would also enjoy a smaller body.

The whole original ethos was a compact system. Barnack wanted something easy to carry. I hope one day we will see another such FF camera from Leica. The lenses are fine as they are
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey View Post
    I wouldn't call the current EVF "poor". It was the best EVF panel available when the typ 240 was designed. It's not the same quality as other EVFs available today, but it still performs quite well.
    The problem was compounded by a processor that couldn't support more recent and improved EVF viewfinders or scrolling liveview.

Hell, my wife's ancient £300 Lumix has a better EVF and supports scrolling liveview.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would like a digital CL with an EVF at least as good as that of the Lumix GM5. Add a swivel LCD (with or without RF coupling) and I will preorder .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The problem was compounded by a processor that couldn't support more recent and improved EVF viewfinders or scrolling liveview.

Hell, my wife's ancient £300 Lumix has a better EVF and supports scrolling liveview.
    Which Lumix is that? I had the G1 and find the M's EVF on par with that, they are roughly contemporary in design history.

I don't conflate scrolling features (a matter of the video processor) with the quality of the EVF (a matter of pixel density and refresh rate). Two different things.

Upgradability of the body is yet another thing. Olympus replaced the VF-2 with the VF-4, using a higher res panel. They issued firmware updates allow the older bodies to use the later EVF, yes, but the older bodies (E-P2, E-PL1, etc) still only image at the VF-2 spec onto the VF-4—limitations of the display hardware in the bodies. Leica is in the same position with the EVF, but they don't produce a plug-compatible update with higher resolution like Olympus did so they didn't update the firmware for compatibility.

I don't know ... All this fuss over the EVF. Should it be improved in the next M? sure. Is it a motivating reason for upgrading? Not for me: It's an adjunct to the M and expands the camera's versatility, but it's not why I buy an M.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take the G1 EVF over the M.

But each to their own, the compelling reason why I bought into the M was the option to use a rangefinder and an EVF on one body.

But really, I can't see this as an issue, I'm sure the next M will have a much improved accessory EVF.
    http://www.keithlaban.co.uk

Post Thanks / Like

Which Lumix is that? I had the G1 and find the M's EVF on par with that, they are roughly contemporary in design history.

I don't conflate scrolling features (a matter of the video processor) with the quality of the EVF (a matter of pixel density and refresh rate). Two different things.

Upgradability of the body is yet another thing. Olympus replaced the VF-2 with the VF-4, using a higher res panel. They issued firmware updates allow the older bodies to use the later EVF, yes, but the older bodies (E-P2, E-PL1, etc) still only image at the VF-2 spec onto the VF-4—limitations of the display hardware in the bodies. Leica is in the same position with the EVF, but they don't produce a plug-compatible update with higher resolution like Olympus did so they didn't update the firmware for compatibility.

I don't know ... All this fuss over the EVF. Should it be improved in the next M? sure. Is it a motivating reason for upgrading? Not for me: It's an adjunct to the M and expands the camera's versatility, but it's not why I buy an M.

G
    Actually the current EVF of the M240 was putting me off to buying one last year. Main reason was speed (it really lags behind) and somehow also resolution.

I agree with you that one gets the M for using mainly the rangefinder and while I love to use a rangefinder and can pretty accurately focus especially with the M240 (and suppose as well M262), the EVF is needed for accurate focusing for and above 90mm and a must for framing with lenses below 28mm - at least for me. I know that there are special optical finders for WA, but this is nothing for me and I assume many other people as well.

So for me to buy Leica's next generation M it needs to have an add on EVF on par with the SL (or at least Q).

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OVF RF has very limited use and it is better to replace that with the EVF to make the camera less hybrid and totally electronic.

Add a global shutter to make it complete!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Since I now have the SL as my versatile, 'do it all' camera, I'm content to use the M much as I always did in the past: Namely, as an adjunct, less versatile complement to my main system camera. It does not bother me at all to consider the M as what I use with specific and exceptional 35/50/75 lenses only. I don't need IS, don't need flippy LCDs, etc. The M262 would be just fine except I have the M-P already.

I'm more focused on improving the M optical viewfinder, responsiveness, sensor, etc as the right way to go. Not that it isn't excellent already, but improvements that don't detract from its fundamental capability...

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken with EVF you are seeing the image through the lens like a DSLR using live view. To me that's the same as a DSLR/SLR. One reason I shoot Leica M because they are rangefinders and I bought the M Mono (original) M 262 and M-E because they didn't have live view and video. If I wanted that I would have kept my Canons.

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm not mistaken with EVF you are seeing the image through the lens like a DSLR using live view. To me that's the same as a DSLR/SLR. One reason I shoot Leica M because they are rangefinders and I bought the M Mono (original) M 262 and M-E because they didn't have live view and video. If I wanted that I would have kept my Canons.
    Yup, one has the option to view through the lens or not on the same body.

Win, win.

Post Thanks / Like

But not without live view and with live view I'm out. I by a rangefinder because I want a rangefinder. Great Leica gives me that choice.

Post Thanks / Like

But not without live view and with live view I'm out. I by a rangefinder because I want a rangefinder. Great Leica gives me that choice.
    Exactly, with the current M and hopefully the next M you have the choice to use a rangefinder or an EVF.
    Last edited by KeithL; 30th January 2016 at 02:46.

Post Thanks / Like

Exactly, with the current M and hopefully the next M you have the choice to use a rangefinder or an EVF.
    And if they don't make an M like the M 262 I won't be buying the next generation M.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

I very seldom use the VF2 on the M but find it sometimes usefull to have EVF/life view for wide angle or macro.
    I think it extends the possibility of the M.
    I dont see any lack in simplicity of the M to have the option to put an EVF on the camera.
    SO for my taste it would be great to have the option to put an EVF as good as the SL EVF or at least like the Visoflex on an M body, even though I would use it not very often.
    I am even kind of angry that I cant put the Visoflex from the T on the M. I think they should have made it compatible.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I suppose the Leica M "e-train" has already left the station, but personally I'm not sure it is the best idea longer term.

IMO, their track record with electronic components isn't exactly stellar, and they always seem behind on the specifications at launch time (it's tough to be conservative in the digital age of, "If more is better, than Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious is bestest).

The current flagship M can act like a DSLR, but it is a clunky contraption at best (reminds me of a great Jazz artists forced to strap a drum to his back, cymbals to his knees, hum into a Harmonica while strumming a banjo). It can do movies, but is a poor substitute compared to almost any other choice at 1/3 the price.

Some folks feel all that stuff is better than nothing, where others would be just fine if they concentrated on keeping the M a tried and true rangefinder, and continuously worked on improving that dedicated aspect.

With sensors reaching such a high level performance, we are approaching a time when one could secure a M and keep it long term like we once could. That requires the camera to be simple and elegant, of the highest quality and flawless build ... backed up by stellar service. Maybe even overbuilt with a longer warranty. Personally, I'd pay for elegant design and function that's overbuilt, verses electronic-do-dads doomed to being outdated before you can lay hands on one.

With the advent of the versatile SL, and the possible developmental path of the Q as a digital age, interchangeable lens AF solution, it would seem that the M could have that burden lifted from it's back.

IF the M, for what it is, can't make its way in the new world order so be it. Obviously, the other Leica offerings like the Q, and other potential "inventions of need", can take its place and meet those new demands.

However, I firmly believe that there will always be those who would gravitate to M as a haven from the "video game with a lens", especially if it were a lifetime companion, or at least could be if you wished. Think about that ... there is something very satisifying about that notion.

Personally, I have a M Monochrome and love it, and I'm considering the M246 for color ... so my future Leica budget will go toward M lenses rather than yet another freakin' $7,000+ digital camera 3 years from now.

- Marc

Post Thanks / Like

I've just received my M9-P back from Leica having had the sensor changed. I found myself trying to add an EVF to check the rangefinder adjustment. Nice idea but oh, red face! I was also trying to frame my 21 SEM with the OVF. Nice idea but oh, red face!

I was shooting product with the M240 the other day and tried to scroll magnified live view to check off centre focus. Nice idea but oh, red face!

I like the fact that my M240 is a simple rangefinder camera and I can use it as such, but I love the fact that I can change it in the blink of an eye to a far more adaptable camera. I can't imagine Leica will deliver the replacement for the current M without an accessory EVF or improved processor.

All I'm hoping for is that if Leica offer an accessory EVF then they offer a high quality accessory EVF and a processor that can keep up with it and in doing so allow me to own and use a classic rangefinder camera and modern electronic viewfinder camera in one body.

Hardly the stuff of radical change or pipe dreams.
    Last edited by KeithL; 30th January 2016 at 06:36.

Post Thanks / Like

I've just received my M9-P back from Leica having had the sensor changed. I found myself trying to add an EVF to check the rangefinder adjustment. Nice idea but oh, red face! I was also trying to frame my 21 SEM with the OVF. Nice idea but oh, red face!

I was shooting product with the M240 the other day and tried to scroll magnified live view to check off centre focus. Nice idea but oh, red face!

I like the fact that my M240 is a simple rangefinder camera and I can use it as such, but I love the fact that I can change it in the blink of an eye to a far more adaptable camera. I can't imagine Leica will deliver the replacement for the current M without an accessory EVF or improved processor.

All I'm hoping for is that if Leica offer an accessory EVF then they offer a high quality accessory EVF and a processor that can keep up with it and in doing so allow me to own and use a classic rangefinder camera and modern electronic viewfinder camera in one body.

Hardly the stuff of radical change or pipe dreams.
    Those things make Leica M just like every other camera out there. I call them the ones size fits all cameras. I am glad I actually have a choice like the MM which I have the original and love, the new 262 which does everything i need a camera to do without all the distractions and the M-E. So I praise Leica for giving me the color option with the 262 of a lighter, quieter, easier to negotiate menu without all the stuff I don't want at a price point that is cheaper.

That is a true alternative to everything else out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm all for Leica offering alternatives such as the 262.

I see the M240 as an alternative to every other camera out there, i.e. a rangefinder that takes an EVF.
    Last edited by KeithL; 30th January 2016 at 08:17.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Those things make Leica M just like every other camera out there. I call them the ones size fits all cameras. I am glad I actually have a choice like the MM which I have the original and love, the new 262 which does everything i need a camera to do without all the distractions and the M-E. So I praise Leica for giving me the color option with the 262 of a lighter, quieter, easier to negotiate menu without all the stuff I don't want at a price point that is cheaper.

That is a true alternative to everything else out there.
    I see your point, even though I dont feel the M type 240 to have anything more distracting. When used without EVF for me it just feels like a rangefinder.
    But good to have choices
    The lower weight and quieter shutter are good reasons for the 262, but I assume they dont have anything to do with the question if an EVF can be connected or not.
    By the way I found the M type 240 (and same is valid for the 262) to be closer to a film M than the M9. Why? Because they are faster to use (buffer etc), more silent shutter, and the buttons and wheels feel more solid.
    If the 262 is even more quiet and somewhat lighter it would be my choice as well if I would buy a new M body at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    I see your point, even though I dont feel the M type 240 to have anything more distracting. When used without EVF for me it just feels like a rangefinder.
    But good to have choices
    The lower weight and quieter shutter are good reasons for the 262, but I assume they dont have anything to do with the question if an EVF can be connected or not.
    By the way I found the M type 240 (and same is valid for the 262) to be closer to a film M than the M9. Why? Because they are faster to use (buffer etc), more silent shutter, and the buttons and wheels feel more solid.
    If the 262 is even more quiet and somewhat lighter it would be my choice as well if I would buy a new M body at the moment.
    It's not only lighter and quieter, the reason I say less distracting is the menu is much easier to negotiate because it's not as large. No video or live view.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

It's not only lighter and quieter, the reason I say less distracting is the menu is much easier to negotiate because it's not as large. No video or live view.
    I don't find the video or live view features in the M-P menu add much in complexity. It's just a few items (3? 4?) longer. If that.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't find the video or live view features in the M-P menu add much in complexity. It's just a few items (3? 4?) longer. If that.
    Have you read any of the reviews of the 262? The menu is a lot smaller (IIRC the 240 has 5 pages the 262 only 2)and I have found it much easier to negotiate.
    Last edited by airfrogusmc; 30th January 2016 at 16:18.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Have you read any of the reviews of the 262? The menu is a lot smaller (IIRC the 240 has 5 pages the 262 only 2)and I have found it much easier to negotiate.
    You make me want to have a look at the 262. I wonder how much quieter it is and how much lighter it feels. Personally the menues would be not a big thing for me, but slimmed menues wouldnt hurt.
    If I would buy a new M body today it would probably be the 262.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paratom View Post
    You make me want to have a look at the 262. I wonder how much quieter it is and how much lighter it feels. Personally the menues would be not a big thing for me, but slimmed menues wouldnt hurt.
    If I would buy a new M body today it would probably be the 262.
    The 262 looks interesting indeed! But so close to the next big M release at PK 2016, I rather may wait

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the M262 has two main pages and the M240 has five. BUT that doesn't tell the whole story. Have you compared the M240 vs M262 features and instruction manuals? :-)

The M262 menus are shorter for one of three reasons: functions have been moved to submenus, functions are simplified and have no options, or functions are not supported. It's up to you whether having options is important or whether you consider the simplified functionality adequate to your needs and desires, independent of the elided features.

If you difference the M240 vs M262 menus, this is what you get ... considering the M240 menus as a baseline, the M262 menus are different the following ways.

in submenus:
    auto slow sync
    flash sync mode
    contrast
    saturation
    sharpness
    JPEG resolution

That's one page right there. Is it easier to get to these functions through a submenu or on the main menu?

no options:
    light metering mode (no advanced modes, only classic)
    DNG Compression (can't find whether it's compressed or uncompressed)
    frame line color
    acoustic signal (does it have one? can you shut it off?)
    histogram (only intensity)
    exposure metering (only classic mode, no pattern options)
    color space (only sRGB)
    film mode (eg: missing B&W film and filter modes; only contrast/saturation/sharpening)

There's a second page removed due to simplification/no options.

no support:
    EVF brightness
    focus aid
    focus peaking
    Exposure simulation
    USB mode
    Audio
    Video recording

There's the third page. These are the truly unsupported items due to the removal of Live View, EVF support, and video recording. You could consider two of the second set (light metering mode and exposure metering) to be in this class since they are dependent upon Live View.

Analyzing the M262 menus, I would say that the M262 would likely be fine for me, but I would miss the options on DNG compression, frame line color, histogram display, and film mode. I don't think putting the flash and image quality items into submenus is any simpler than having them on the main menu either; it's just different.

And as I've said before, on the occasions when I use the 24, 90, or 135 mm lenses, I find the M/M-P typ 240's EVF nets a better viewfinder and improved focusing accuracy. I don't use these lenses that often, but it's nice to have the option.

If I truly wanted utter simplicity, I'd buy an ME60 body, 35-50-75 lenses, and that would be the whole kit. No JPEG engine, no display, no video, no live view, just a simple camera and raw files. :-)

G

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the M262 has two main pages and the M240 has five. BUT that doesn't tell the whole story. Have you compared the M240 vs M262 features and instruction manuals? :-)

The M262 menus are shorter for one of three reasons: functions have been moved to submenus, functions are simplified and have no options, or functions are not supported. It's up to you whether having options is important or whether you consider the simplified functionality adequate to your needs and desires, independent of the elided features.

If you difference the M240 vs M262 menus, this is what you get ... considering the M240 menus as a baseline, the M262 menus are different the following ways.

in submenus:
    auto slow sync
    flash sync mode
    contrast
    saturation
    sharpness
    JPEG resolution

That's one page right there. Is it easier to get to these functions through a submenu or on the main menu?

no options:
    light metering mode (no advanced modes, only classic)
    DNG Compression (can't find whether it's compressed or uncompressed)
    frame line color
    acoustic signal (does it have one? can you shut it off?)
    histogram (only intensity)
    exposure metering (only classic mode, no pattern options)
    color space (only sRGB)
    film mode (eg: missing B&W film and filter modes; only contrast/saturation/sharpening)

There's a second page removed due to simplification/no options.

no support:
    EVF brightness
    focus aid
    focus peaking
    Exposure simulation
    USB mode
    Audio
    Video recording

There's the third page. These are the truly unsupported items due to the removal of Live View, EVF support, and video recording. You could consider two of the second set (light metering mode and exposure metering) to be in this class since they are dependent upon Live View.

Analyzing the M262 menus, I would say that the M262 would likely be fine for me, but I would miss the options on DNG compression, frame line color, histogram display, and film mode. I don't think putting the flash and image quality items into submenus is any simpler than having them on the main menu either; it's just different.

And as I've said before, on the occasions when I use the 24, 90, or 135 mm lenses, I find the M/M-P typ 240's EVF nets a better viewfinder and improved focusing accuracy. I don't use these lenses that often, but it's nice to have the option.

If I truly wanted utter simplicity, I'd buy an ME60 body, 35-50-75 lenses, and that would be the whole kit. No JPEG engine, no display, no video, no live view, just a simple camera and raw files. :-)

G
    If I could have found an M60 new for $5100 I would have bought one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If I could have found an M60 new for $5100 I would have bought one.
    Can't even get an M262 for $5100 ... B&H lists them for $5200.

Second-hand Prices on ME60 bodies are pretty low right now. I think Brad is offering his for $6900 at present.
    If I could afford it I'd grab it at that price, but my money went for the SL. I'll have to make do with the M-P.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Can't even get an M262 for $5100 ... B&H lists them for $5200.

Second-hand Prices on ME60 bodies are pretty low right now. I think Brad is offering his for $6900 at present.
    If I could afford it I'd grab it at that price, but my money went for the SL. I'll have to make do with the M-P.

G
    JEEZE bust my chops for $95. Ok I paid 5195 for mine and I have it with warranty. Still a waiting list at B&H. If the M60 was 5195 I would have bought a new one.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

JEEZE bust my chops for $95. Ok I paid 5195 for mine and I have it with warranty. Still a waiting list at B&H. If the M60 was 5195 I would have bought a new one.
    Just having fun...

The M262 is a good deal for that price. Enjoy it!

I so wanted to see Leica release the ME60 as a standard production item without all the special edition finish and price premium.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Just having fun...

The M262 is a good deal for that price. Enjoy it!

I so wanted to see Leica release the ME60 as a standard production item without all the special edition finish and price premium.

G
    I was in that camp also. I held off on getting color bodies for my advertising/commercial work hoping that would be the case but when they announced the 262 and I had a chance to buy one I did. Bought an M-E also and sold all of my Canon gear which almost paid for the Leica gear. I was going to have to do something. My Canon bodies had over 150K each so I was going to have to do something soon. I wanted something less automated than the M240 or M-P.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

I was in that camp also. I held off on getting color bodies for my advertising/commercial work hoping that would be the case but when they announced the 262 and I had a chance to buy one I did. Bought an M-E also and sold all of my Canon gear which almost paid for the Leica gear. I was going to have to do something. My Canon bodies had over 150K each so I was going to have to do something soon. I wanted something less automated than the M240 or M-P.
    Hmm. I think you used the wrong word there.

The typ 240/246 models have the same automation as the M262 and ME60; the typ 240/246 have additional features—video capture, Live View, ability to be fitted with an EVF, etc—that's all. In use, all work exactly the same way unless you are using one of the typ 240/246 additional features.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry yes misspoke but you know what I meant.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't been even remotely tempted to get the EVF for my M-P. I one of those who can't stand the things (and yes, I've tried them). Call me old-fashioned but you'll never see one on my rangefinders. I'm quite satisfied with my current model and I know I'll not buy the next one, irregardless of specification.