The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Auto Focus Adapter for Leica M lenses on Sony E bodies ?

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
This seems too good to be true . How can lenses designed to be extended during manual focus (e.g front elements move forward from rear elements ) be autofocused by simply moving the entire lens forward? Its called the TECHART PRO ADAPTER.

I don t get it .

V

Vivek

Most old Leica lenses are unit focusing (all elements move during focus). The ones with internal focusing do so to correct aberrations at closer distances. Treating them as unit focusing lenses by moving the entire lens isn't new, even with Sony camera/leica lens combinations.

Hawks close focusing adapter (manual focus) just allows that.

The techart adapter is motorised and takes advantage of Sony's state of the art AF implemented in their latest cameras.

jlm

Workshop Member
A bit different but I'm using the tech art af adapter on mr a7rII and contax G90 with success, and you can over-ride af and Mf as well

k-hawinkler

A bit different but I'm using the tech art af adapter on mr a7rII and contax G90 with success, and you can over-ride af and Mf as well
Thanks John.
How do you like the build quality of your adapter? Any issues?
Do you get sharp images? As sharp as when you use manual focus?
Does the adapter produce consistent results?
An example picture please. TIA.
:worthless:

V

Vivek

I already have

Nikon F to Leica m39

Olympus OM to Leica M

Robot to Leica m39

and several others.

Waiting for the Techart adapter. :)

fotografz

This seems too good to be true . How can lenses designed to be extended during manual focus (e.g front elements move forward from rear elements ) be autofocused by simply moving the entire lens forward? Its called the TECHART PRO ADAPTER.

I don t get it .
Hi Roger,

I'd guess that it works the same way the Contax AX achieved AF with manual focus lenses by simply moving the film plate back and forth. Not sure, but if I recall correctly, you set the lens to infinity and the camera did the rest.

I had a Contax AX with CY manual focus lenses, and it work splendidly. Like this TECHART PRO solution, the AX also allowed all CY lenses to focus closer than when used on a regular Contax camera. So all M lenses that are usable on the A7-II/A7R-II cameras should allow significantly closer distance to subject.

- Marc

D&A

Hi Roger,

I'd guess that it works the same way the Contax AX achieved AF with manual focus lenses by simply moving the film plate back and forth. Not sure, but if I recall correctly, you set the lens to infinity and the camera did the rest.

I had a Contax AX with CY manual focus lenses, and it work splendidly. Like this TECHART PRO solution, the AX also allowed all CY lenses to focus closer than when used on a regular Contax camera. So all M lenses that are usable on the A7-II/A7R-II cameras should allow significantly closer distance to subject.

- Marc
Marc, spot on with all you posted. I too used a pair of of AX bodies, often with some of the splended Pentax M42 lenses as well as some CY ones.

The only issue with the AX system was with lenses having focal lengths greater than approx 100mm. In those particular cases the travel of the moving film plane wasn't sufficiently long enough to cover the normal focusing range of the longer lenses, so a pre focusing of the lens to a distance somewhay short of infinity allowed it to AF in the nost desired distance range that the user expected to encounter. I wonder if thats the case with these Sony-M af adapters with longer lenses too, whether they be M lenses or a similiar af adapter with other brands of lenses.

I'm surprised with technology moving at the paxe it has with regards to mirrorless cameras useing non native lenses through the use of adapters, that a sensor with fore/aft movement similar to the Contax AX system hasn't yet been developed to allow af capability.

Dave (D&A)