The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Any experiences with the Leica S 30-90mm?

timwier

I traded my 30mm, 70mm and 120mm and got the 30-90mm about 18 months ago. The very best decision for me.

As far as sharpness, my impressions are: 1) as sharp as the 30mm prime, 2) 97% as sharp as the 70mm prime and 3) 95% as sharp from 70-90mm. Definitely a daytime or tripod lens.

The cost is less than owning 3-4 primes and it is soooooooooooooooo much easier to carry for landscape work.

Just my 2 cents.

GMB

For my photography (landscape, travel etc.), the zoom is a great. But I would not give up the 70 (may give up the 35). I think you have to print really big to see the difference ins sharpness between the zoom and the primes, and you will see it mostly at the edges. And for travel / landscape, it eliminates the hassle of changing lenses and the risk of getting dirt on the sensor. For me, the 24 + zoom + 100 is a great 3 lens set up for travel. One could add the 120 (for macro), the 180 (if something longer is needed), or the 70 (standard and fast).

hasselbladfan

The two samples I have tried cannot achieve adequate edge sharpness at any aperture when the lens is used at longer than about 60mm.

It is all the more obvious because it is so sharp on center...the visible transition from very sharp to soft is a problem in large prints.
That can be annoying. I will watch it when I try the lens next week. Thanks for your heads-up.