Site Sponsors

Thread: Is There A Budget Leica

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is There A Budget Leica

I am just curious. I don't want to spend the money to buy the New SL. I shoot some portraits and group shots. Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look ? I would need a zoom wide to portrait is and at least 16mp.
    What is The Leica X, V Lux and the others about? Can I get excellent IQ with one of these? I do need AF and a moderate size zoom Thanks.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is There A Budget Leica

Quote Originally Posted by rollsman44 View Post
    I am just curious. I don't want to spend the money to buy the New SL. I shoot some portraits and group shots. Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look ? I would need a zoom wide to portrait is and at least 16mp.
    What is The Leica X, V Lux and the others about? Can I get excellent IQ with one of these? I do need AF and a moderate size zoom Thanks.
    Maybe have a look at the Leica T-system, it is well build, with latest firmware upgrades it has become pretty fast, and the lenses are excellent.
    Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked for this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

If you want AF, my choice would be the X, for a single focal length lens, or the X Vario, for a zoom. Nice designs, well made and good handling, excellent imaging performance.

The Q is another possibility, if you don't mind using crop modes for 35mm and 50mm framing. But the resolution will be lower.

I tried a V Lux but didn't keep it, it just didn't appeal to me. I had an X2 and liked it, have the X and like it even more.

G

Post Thanks / Like

Alas it's hard to say a budget Leica would give you any more image quality / value than a number of other brands. A 'Leica look' comes mainly from M/R/S/SL lenses, not from the sensor. IMO you wouldn't get much more for your money than a red dot.

Kirk

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you all. I do appreciate your suggestions. I always wondered about the Leica V-Lux and D-Lux and the Others that are well below the cost of the M and Sl and Q cameras.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the current D-Lux is excellent.
    Brad Husick

Post Thanks / Like

I am just curious. I don't want to spend the money to buy the New SL. I shoot some portraits and group shots. Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look ?
    Probably not to be honest, sounds like you would be best off with a small DSLR and a good medium zoom.

The Leica "look" is mostly to be had on their better M and S prime lenses and only really shows it's true form if someone with some *serious* talent, a penchant for revealing wraps / layers of light and tone brings it to bear. Very few enthusiast photos posted actually show the color and look of Leica in a manner that sets it above all other lenses.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot some portraits and group shots. Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look ?
    Are you really sure you need an AF and a zoom for portraits / group pictures?

A M9 with a 50mm Summicron is the best budget camera you can have. It holds pretty well its value and gives you great quality shots. Since you have no zoom, you have to move with your feet, which improves your composition / shots.1
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

The minute a discussion like this starts to focus on intangible, unmeasurable, impossible to agree upon things like "the Leica look", it is a goner as far as I'm concerned.

G
    Godfrey - GDGPhoto Flickr Stream

Post Thanks / Like

Then it was DOA before your earlier comment? OP asked not only about a budget Leica, but "Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look?"

K

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thompsonkirk View Post
    Then it was DOA before your earlier comment? OP asked not only about a budget Leica, but "Is there a Leica camera with AF that the IQ is still excellent and have the Leica look?"
    Nope. The question didn't focus on the "Leica look" and I didn't focus on it in my response either.

As far as I'm concerned, anything that Leica designs and sells with their name on it has some variation on what is called "the Leica look." The X2, X, X Vario, and Q all seem to have a Leica look, if perhaps not the same Leica look that a 1972 Summilux 35 v2 designed by Walter Mandler or a 2009 Summicron-M 50 APO designed by Peter Karbe have. My plastic-pig-**** Leica Minizoom had a lovely Leica look. And then there's the T system, with its excellent Leica lenses. Each and every one of my different M and R Leica lenses, particularly when used on a Leica digital body or on film, have a Leica look too..

That's why focusing the discussion on "the Leica look" and then asserting "A 'Leica look' comes mainly from M/R/S/SL lenses" is foolhardy: there's no single such thing. Yet Leica produces all of them.

In the end, the OP wanted to know which of the less costly Leica cameras he might enjoy. I stand by my response: the X, X Vario, and Q all produce lovely photos that carry the characteristics of Leica imaging notions well. The X in particular (because I own and use it, often) produces images that bear very strong resemblance to the SL with its Vario-Elmarit-SL 24-90 @ 35mm setting, or the Summicron-R 35mm.

The sensor may not be the major contributor to this pervasively recognizable Leica look, but the in-camera JPEG rendering engine and raw data handling certainly are, as are as the characteristics of the Leica lenses.

G

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend the Leica T with the Vario-Elmar-T 18-56mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH lens.

I unfortunately have no personal experience with the X Vario or with the D-Lux.

Post Thanks / Like

I would need a zoom wide to portrait is and at least 16mp.
    What is The Leica X, V Lux and the others about? Can I get excellent IQ with one of these? I do need AF and a moderate size zoom
    The three most important factors are:

• Practice
    • Practice
    • Practice

The more you practice, the easier it becomes to achieve excellent IQ, even without a zoom or autofocus.